First time installing Sabayon need advice on my setup

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

First time installing Sabayon need advice on my setup

Postby Dreforian » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00

Hi. First time posting on this forum and and first time installing Sabayon in years.

My setup is a little fancier now. I have 3 drives in my rig; An SSD with Windows 7 freshly installed; A Western Digital 750GB storage drive currently housing most of my games, documents and media; and a Seagate 2TB which will be the focus of this post. I'd like to use the Seagate as backup space for the SSD and I'd also very much like to get Sabayon on there to play with. I'd get to broaden my Linux experience and have utilities around for recovering my Windows installation if another SSD blows up on me.

At the moment the Seagate is totally raw so I was wondering how I might partition it to accommodate both Sabayon and storage space that might (hopefully) be accessible by both Windows And Linux. I've researched it a bit and found a guide that mostly addresses my hardware setup...for Ubuntu.
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/10/10/dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-12-04-on-a-pc-with-uefi-board-ssd-and-hdd/
Can I just substitute Sabayon for Ubuntu? (I promise to read all the appropriate documentation first!)
If I do get Sabayon on there, could I get away with setting the Win7 SSD as 1st boot option and have it start up regularly unless I specifically use the UEFI BIOS to boot to the Seagate?

Any advice (or directions to advice) is appreciated!
Dreforian
Baby Hen

Re: First time installing Sabayon need advice on my setup

Postby dave_64 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:40

I'm probably not the one to give advice on this, because I'm not a gamer, or a windows user. What's more, I don't know how serious you are about running Sabayon...whether it's just a curiousity, or something you really want to "get into". That said, I'll give you a starting point, which is really just a wild guess.
If the latest livedvd boots up and seems in order, click the installer and fill in the blanks. When you get to the page that offers the option to custom install (custom partitioning and layout), choose that option. You will have to designate the drive that you intend to install to...it might be sda, sdb, or sdc. You should be able to figure out which one is the seagate. Now here is where it gets difficult to guess your needs. Assuming the drive is empty and unformatted, click "create", and make a 750gb partition of filesystem of type = ntfs. (Use 750000 to indicate the size). No mount point for that partition.
Then create a small swap partition. Again, no mount point, file system of type = swap, and size = 2000 (which is 2 gb). Click on the remaining "free space" and click "create" again. Make mount point /
filesystem of type = ext 4
And size can be anywhere between 70000 and maybe 250000, depending on how much you want to play with sabayon. This will leave you between 1tb and 1.2tb of free space. Why? Because a year from now, you may want to install the latest version of sabayonin in part of that free space. It allows for flexibility.
I know nothing about the UEFI Bios issue, but, it is not at all difficult to designate the default boot os. You can change it at anytime if you want to change the default boot os. When you get to that point, just ask.
Again, this is all just a guess. Others probably have far better advice, but, hopefully, you will at least get something out of this.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Dreforian » Sun Aug 18, 2013 20:20

Thanks for the reply! Some background: I first used Sabayon in my Linux class in college, we each had to pick and install a distro on the labs computers. I zeroed in on Sabayon because it was purported to have nvidia support as well as being a more fully featured desktop OS then some we'd learned about. Command lines were scary. I'm mostly over that nowadays and I work for a refurbisher that puts Ubuntu 12.04 on our lower end hardware. My work PC has Ubuntu and we routinely use Parted Magic as a toolbox for evaluation and troubleshooting. I want to use Sabayon (and KDE or something else non-gnomish) to see more of the Linux landscape and see what it can do on my hardware.

As for my setup, I'll still be using Windows 7 on my SSD as primary OS with the WD 750GB as storage. I don't really need to backup the WD at the moment although having one image or clone lying around wouldn't hurt. The Seagate 2TB would be home to Sabayon, probably 250GB as you suggested simply so that I have plenty of room for applications and an image of my SSD (I want to try out using Linux to backup Windows within the same machine rather than using Parted Magic and an external drive). The rest of the space would likely be for backups storage; images and hopefully loose files.

If a Windows image can't live comfortably on an ext4 partition then I'd probably make Sabayon's home space smaller. I've got Ubuntu on a VM right now that's perfectly happy in 20GB so I know space isn't a big issue.
For the swap, does having 8GB of ram make a difference for the size of the partition?
From your statement about making mount point /, I assume that means Sabayon only needs 2 partitions (swap and root). This is how we've done it for Ubuntu at work so I'm comfortable with that.
As for leaving free space that's a good idea. If I need space for backups or a new installation I can always format more. However before I can do all that I have to choose a partition table. Looks like I have a choice between MBR (ms-dos) and GPT (I know for a fact gParted can do more but most of them look very system-specific). You've said this is probably beyond your expertise dave_64 so I'm just throwing this out there for anyone:
1) Can Sabayon's installer do the partition table part? (and what is preferred by Sabayon/Linux?)
2) Can Sabayon live on an MBR formatted drive?
3) Would my UEFI BIOS care if I had a mix of MBR and GPT formatted drives?

Thanks again! I'm itching to get started
Dreforian
Baby Hen

Postby wintermute » Sun Aug 18, 2013 21:22

Dreforian wrote:
For the swap, does having 8GB of ram make a difference for the size of the partition?
From your statement about making mount point /, I assume that means Sabayon only needs 2 partitions (swap and root). This is how we've done it for Ubuntu at work so I'm comfortable with that.
1) Can Sabayon's installer do the partition table part? (and what is preferred by Sabayon/Linux?)
2) Can Sabayon live on an MBR formatted drive?
3) Would my UEFI BIOS care if I had a mix of MBR and GPT formatted drives?

this is like virgin helping a virgin.. :D (don't get me wrong, just installed my first sabayon earlier today) so i'll share some very fresh and probably very naive thoughts on the above.. hope that more relevant help is on its way..

the swap, as a general rule, should be twice the size of your ram.. however, i have for my setup made it eight gig for eight gig of ram.. from my experience, above the case where you have four ram and eight swap, it is unlikely to be put to good use if you allocate more.. but that's me.. i know people who have sixty and more gigs of swap who claim that they need it..

after a somewhat unsuccessful attempt to do a manual setup (it has objected that /boot and /boot/efi were needed (i usually only make three: /,/home,/swap)) i have handed it over to automatic, which went fine (use up free space, making some kind of a logical partition setup that i am yet to figure out how exactly is structured :) )
don't know if all this may be misleading since my case is a little off (imac, dual boot with os x)..
as for your questions, my opinion, but no guarantees.. ;)

1) i'm pretty sure that it's a yes.. :)
2) i really cannot see, even remotely, why it couldn't..
3) not sure on this one but, if i'd had to guess i'd go with, as far as my understanding of master boot record goes, it does not really effect the situation that you are describing..

best of luck..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby Dreforian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32

I've done some more research and managed to answer some questions:
1) confirmation for you wintermute; http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Install_Sabayon_with_GRUB2_and_GPT_on_a_New_System
Unlike GRUB Legacy, GRUB2 supports GPT disks. Sabayon, Ubuntu and its derivatives, and several others have made the jump, so GRUB2 is the way to go.

2) seems irrelevant given #3
3) http://www.overclock.net/t/1256230/mbr-as-boot-drive-gpt-as-data-drive
In short, no, my UEFI BIOS wouldn't care. I can have my 2 TB formatted as GPT and I shouldn't have an issue.
I'm also fairly sure Windows wont mind either, so I can have an NTFS partition (or something) just for dumping files/backup images on or hand it all over to Sabayon.

When I get the time I'm going to try following the HOWTO I linked (except I'll probably be using gParted on my Parted Magic disk).
My question about the size of the swap partition still stands; I don't intend to hibernate at all but I will be trying out Sabayon for making backups of my Windows drive if that makes any difference.
Dreforian
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58

I suppose it depends on how you use your system. I do not consider myself a "power user", but I have 8 gb of memory. For me, I hardly need a swap partition, as I haven't seem my memory usage much above 4 gb. But I always make a swap partition anyway. I run a 64-bit KDE version, and my activites are usually just web surfing, downloading and playing youtube vids, and occasionally, some work with photo editing (gimp). I avoid multitasking. I don't expect to ever hit swap on this machine. I am currently using 3.5gb of ram, according to "top".
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area