LAptop touchpad or external optical mouse are not recognized

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

LAptop touchpad or external optical mouse are not recognized

Postby bhatta » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:55

Hi,

I am just trying to install Sabayon 13.08 KDE.
I am able to get a live session using 'nomodeset' from the F5 menu...

But at the splash screen once the 'harddrive, settings, desktop' etc is loading I am losing the cursor!

At first I thought that the Pixart optical mouse I use may not be recognised, so i tried to boot without attaching the Optical Mouse!
But still facing the same problem, at the splash screen , i am getting a cursor, but once the DE loads I am not getting any cursor!
After DE loads if I attach the optimal mouse, then also I am not getting any cursor and cannot navigate !

Any help is much appreciated, I want to install Sabyon and already have a HDD partition made.. But until I figure out the Cursor Issue I am not installing...
bhatta
Baby Hen

Re: Laptop touchpad or external optical mouse are not recogn

Postby bhatta » Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:01

Hi,
I am not getting a cursor once the Live session boots up!

Any ideas as to why??
where to get help regarding this? Can I mail it to someone?
bhatta
Baby Hen

Re: LAptop touchpad or external optical mouse are not recogn

Postby wintermute » Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:36

hello bhatta..
i see that you have no solution for days so, although i'm "the last person in position to offer help" (very new to sabayon myself) thought to, point to the direction, if not able to (and it is virtually impossible i think, for anyone, with the information provided) give a readymade solution as such..
the mouse is, afaik handled by x.org mostly (very scientifically said, isn't it?? :mrgreen: ) and the problem that you are experiencing is most probably rooted there..
if i understand correctly, you are having this issue in a live kde session..
what i would do is, test another flavor live (xfce for example) and see if it is a kde specific or a lower level problem.. btw.. as trivial as it may seem, doing a checksum on the iso that you're booting wouldn't hurt..
as you most probably know, sabayon is based on gentoo (or more precisely, it is gentoo testing with sabayon overlay and the entropy package manager) so, searching for solutions to problems extends to the wider gentoo universe.. example:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-9 ... d05dd6256c
if the problem persists in the live session(s), i see a high probability that it would be gone "by itself" after an install on metal and an update..
best of luck to you, with pointing devices, and everything else.. hope that this doesn't discourage you from using this fascinating distribution..
saluteZ..
Last edited by wintermute on Mon Aug 19, 2013 15:01, edited 3 times in total.
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 14:43

Hmmm....
So, how old is your computer?
Which hardware do you have?
Especially, which grafic card (model number) do you use?
Why do you use 'nomodeset'?
Have you tried the normal way, without 'nomodeset' and instead change the 'videofb' parameters (also with F5)?
Did you ever try another LiveBootMedia (no matter from another distribution)?
What is your experience there?
Tell us more, pls.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby bhatta » Tue Aug 20, 2013 0:41

Hi, Thanks for some guidance! I will check out the gentoo forums too... Actually wanted a Gentoo flavour, as I am not proficient in Linux hence went for Sabayon!

Sorry didn't give details of my system in my first post! I should have . Any ways, my system spoecs are:
AMD A4 processor with AMD Radeon 6*** Graphics card!

I dont get any sesion without 'nomodeset' in Sabayon, just a Backlit black screen after Sabayon Boots up normally!

I've had to use 'nomodeset' for most of my Linux installations e.g. Ubuntu,Fedora Chakra & Openmamba. Without 'Nomodeset and 'no/quiet splash'' I dont get any live session from most linux Disrtros, excluding Debian & Elementary OS!
I will surely try out 'videofb' tomorow!

Thanks for the help so far, will turn back with results, as i like what i saw of Sabayon & would love to get it running!!
bhatta
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area