Update of stuff installed via Portage

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Update of stuff installed via Portage

Postby sez » Fri Aug 16, 2013 16:51

This is probably a basic question, but for the stuff I've installed via Portage (that wasn't available in the Sabayon repositories), is the standard Gentoo way of updating the correct way I should do it?

In other words, should I do an

emerge --sync

Followed by

emerge --update --ask world ?

Will that update just the software I installed via Portage, or will that attempt to update everything?

Thanks for your help!

--Rich
sez
Baby Hen

Re: Update of stuff installed via Portage

Postby Stupot » Fri Aug 16, 2013 16:56

If you are mixing entropy and portage, DO NOT emerge world.

Just attempt to update the applications you've installed via portage separately. Each time you do, make sure you install as many dependencies as you can through entropy first.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby wintermute » Fri Aug 16, 2013 20:05

so.. :) i'm still not quite clear on how much of an "obstacle" entropy may be if opting for a portage only approach for setting up and maintaining sabayon.. i suppose some things can only be learned by doing (and failing) :D.. not being sarcastic, for example, even if i sort of know how would i mix different branches of debian (happy birthday!!), semi intuitively, from experience, i don't think that i could easily explain it in this form..
anyway.. like i have partially learned through this discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=30542
and reading through some online documentation of both sabayon and gentoo (only beginning to find my way) i have, in theory, concluded that if the whole system (world in the portage meaning) is set up and updated via portage, default applications (such as chromium or gimp) obviously included, the sabayon practically becomes gentoo with preset useflags and the tree and all that good stuff that i'm only beginning to wrap my head around.. taken that one doesn't use entropy.. ever.. :)
my question, in a wider sense of the word, for those still with me (i thank you and apologize simultaneously :) ) if that is indeed so?? i have dedicated this sunday (august the eighteenth) for two sabayon installs, the whole day, and more if needed (more thinking of compiling stuff now) with a plan to have two usable workstations on monday to run blender on mostly.. i would go with an all portage system perhaps.. do not mind the time and processing power required.. and as i understand, this would mean that i'd be "tracking" gentoo, right?? as in, the weekly updates and such only concern entropy?? i have used arch for a (little) while and i found it to be a nice toy (in a good way, a didactic, very educational toy) but a poor workstation operating system (for my needs and mostly defined by my level of involvement with it's community and motivation to follow all the signs necessary for it's maintenance) and i wouldn't like to replicate a comparable user experience with sabayon turned gentoo (not comparing arch and gentoo here, only the need for attention that the system needs to be rolled well enough to be useful as a solid workstation os, with arch i (emphasis on i) did not find that, with gentoo i haven't got a slightest idea what to expect apart from known urban legends).. so i'm here suffocating the good readers of the post and browsing around a lot to find out as much as i can about this, for me still new side of gnu/ linux in order to prepare myself for, hopefully successfully putting it to use in the times to come (planning to do five projects, industrial design and it's presentation, on top of a sabayon powered system) appreciating any piece of advice anyone who has experience with the one or both system, no expectations, simply trying to increase my awareness of what am i getting in the ring with prior to engaging it, considering strategies.. if someone feels like adding some piece of information (i have already learned a lot from the kind people here in the last couple of days) they have my gratitude and appreciation..
have a good weekend all..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby dave_64 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 21:24

It's not unusual for people who want to use Gentoo, but are daunted by the lengthy initial installation and setup of a full compliment of apps, and desktop environment, etc, use Sabayon for the initial install, setup portage, adjust their useflags, and use portage ever after. You can build a custom kernel after the initial install too, using genkernel (I think). I don't know if Gentoo (portage), features an update notifier, but, if not, you simply run:
emerge --sync
and you will see if there are any system upgrades available. You might run that once a week,..more if you were waiting for some specific new version of something. At some point, you may find the Gentoo forums more helpful than this forum. But you are welcome here, and stay as long as you want.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby wintermute » Fri Aug 16, 2013 22:00

@dave_64
thanks!! again.. :)
my initial idea was to use sabayon.. i knew that they (gentoo and sabayon) share the same base, but didn't know of this interswitchability between them (from what i've learned recently and am almost positive of, sabayon can be turned into gentoo and vice versa).. the possible (still not decided on whether to mix two package managers, does seem manageable from what i have managed to gather in theory, but is still on the intimidating side to me) usage of portage has occurred to me only after seeking for a solution to the, i am boring i know, blender problem..
so, if i do end up accidentally as a more of a gentoo user then sabayon, i will shift my presence accordingly.. it is, as you say, more useful to everyone, and only "natural".. :) i have to say, i do like it here.. and i think that sabayon is really something as a distribution and the community from what i have had a chance to see so far.. will give it some attention for sure.. pity about the whole blender inconvenience, but who knows, maybe it is my destiny to meet gentoo because of this, unplanned.. :D
thank you for the welcoming attitude though, appreciated, as is all the guidance that you and the other members here have provided me so far..
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 0:10

Just my two cents worth, and I'm no expert, I think the risk of "breakage" or incompatibilites would increase with the number of packages that you install via portage, especially if those packages have a lot of dependencies. If you are only dealing with one package, and one or two dependencies, that would almost eliminate the risk of failure. And, it would be easy to maintain. Upgrades would be fairly simple and fast.
How many dependencies are needed for your targetpackage?
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby wintermute » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:47

this is a page on building from source in gentoo.. the beginning focuses on dependencies..
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2 ... ntoo/CMake
unfortunately, the scripts provided work only on debian and rpm (fedora, suse)..
far from an expert (in these matters :) ) myself..
did build from source in ubuntoids, years ago, was fairly straight forward when following clear instructions..
so, if building is (third option) considered, the procedure is more or less identical to gentoo?? or?? :)
maybe i will try to just emerge blender, keep the rest sabayon (entropy) see how that goes on my main station, where cycles is necessary, and go pure entropy and be patient and hopeful that the next blender build in the repo is dealt with more "carefully" on the secondary, since i rarely render anything on it anyway.. would be a nice experiment of sorts.. will write in the blender thread that i have started on how it goes for the users with similar dilemmas..
dave_64, dear sabayoners, thanks, to be continued.. ;)
wintermute
Simple Hen

Postby wintermute » Sat Aug 17, 2013 15:32

..and a list of dependencies for the portage (ebuild, if i'm catching the lingo right :) ) from sabayon package search (i see a -cycles useflag, so all should be good):
http://packages.sabayon.org/show/blende ... -show-what
so, i am at the moment, inclined to go the "mixed way" :D to use entropy as the main package manager but use portage for blender, my main tool, that is..
i imagine the order like this, in "logical progression", will (have to) find the syntax.. do correct me if and when i'm "wrong"..
install sabayon,
update sabayon,
install nvidia prop. driver,
install cuda,
install the blender dependencies via entropy,
update system,
install blender via portage,
tell entropy to leave blender alone..
any other suggestions anyone??
thank you all..
wintermute
Simple Hen