Mate v Gnome v Kde etc

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

viking1au
Baby Hen

Mate v Gnome v Kde etc

Post by viking1au » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27

New to these forums & need to check before downloading, the difference between the Gnome, Mate etc versions. -- Once upon a time I had Ubuntu 9.10, with drop down boxes from the top & liked it. Then I later moved to Mint to get away from the (new) Unity desktop. - Mint 11 (mate) was good. It allowed me to set up Wobbly Windows super fast & easy, and it never played up. Then, as Mint moved on, they started stripping out the nice eyecandy features. Now Wobbly Windows are a pain & need to be re-set at every start-up. - There is an application for this but it does not work.
This aside, I like the look of Mint (mate) and choice of colours in themes etc, as well as their mate desktop. What worries me is that I have seen software running the mate banner, that drops down from the top, like the old Ubuntu 9.10, so there seems no consistency. -- I have wanted a site where I could try out all these looks.
As far as I can tell, I do not like KDE or XFCE desktops. - Can anyone enlighten me, and will Sabayon still give me Wobbly Windows, reliably. - I want to change as I do not like the direction Mint is heading in.-It is becoming less reliable, fixes are not getting done, it will not run Google Earth, Synaptic goes faulty...... It is getting worse, not better, and I have had enough.
I should add that I do not like these black background style of pages.
Regards all.
AMD A6, 5400K 3.6ghz
Radeon 6200 Turbocache graphics
Asus F285-M (UEFI) board.

life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Re: Mate v Gnome v Kde etc

Post by life-on-mars » Wed Aug 07, 2013 13:53

I think all you have to do is to install Compiz Fusion and use it as your window manager. Install it and try out compiz --replace (if I recall that correctly) to see if it works. Then install the compiz config panel and you have all eye candies you wish for.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖