13.04 Hardened Server - rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

13.04 Hardened Server - rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

Postby silvertip257 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 18:37

I'm trying to boot Sabayon 13.04 Hardened Server on an HP Workstation with dual 32-bit Xeon processors (requires a PAE kernel since I have >4GB of RAM).

After a bit of waiting I see:
Code: Select all
rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

Based on what I can tell, the stall happens immediately because the DVD drive isn't accessed to load the live environment into memory. I've let that system sit for five minutes or more and it doesn't boot any further or exhibit signs of activity (brain dead at that point?).
After a bit of reading, I've seen reports [0] [1] [2] of this rcu_sched error for 3.7 kernels

I can say for certain that 13.04 SpinBase boots up sanely.
localhost ~ # uname -a
Linux localhost 3.8.0-sabayon #1 SMP Sat Apr 27 18:24:52 UTC 2013 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

localhost ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep 'vendor|model|flags'
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cid xtpr

And 13.04 ServerBase boots sanely as well.
        Welcome to Sabayon Linux 13.04 x86 ServerBase
        Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz
        GNU/Linux 3.8.0-server

localhost ~ # uname -a
Linux localhost 3.8.0-server #1 SMP Sat Apr 27 18:56:52 UTC 2013 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Let me know if there's any further troubleshooting or information I need to collect and provide. Thanks!

Edit:
Here's a photo of the kernel debug messages.

<rant>
The problem with a machine that doesn't boot from USB is needing to go out to the store and buy some DVD-RWs :wink:
The less coasters, the better!
And I'd rather install Sabayon than Debian Stable (Debian Stable? Pfft, OLD! :eye: ) on this machine. :mrgreen:
</rant>
- silvertip257
silvertip257
Baby Hen

Re: 13.04 Hardened Server - rcu_sched self-detected stall on

Postby silvertip257 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 23:01

Per the mailing list thread (quoted below) at [0] there was also a problem in the 3.8 branch.

> So things work till 3.8 and break in 3.8-rc1 (with both VM_LOCKED and
> VM_POPULATE specifed).
- silvertip257
silvertip257
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area