Problem with WINE (Sabayon 13.04 GNOME)

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with WINE (Sabayon 13.04 GNOME)

Postby HerrSchafer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 17:14

Hi guys!

Everytime I try to use it, I can't. Double click over the ".exe" files send them to package manager and an error is what I get.
I tried "open with" option by right clicking, but wine doesn't appear into software list.
I would like to be free of MS SO, but somethings (such as my favorite game) are hard to left behind; I have already reinstall wine (equo rm/equo i) but nothing changes...

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by HerrSchafer on Tue Jul 30, 2013 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
HerrSchafer
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with WINE (Sabayon 13.04 GNOME)

Postby dave_64 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 20:00

I can't tell from your post if you are using wine correctly, but here is the procedure from start to finish.
From a terminal, type and enter:
winecfg
(generally, the defaults are all good, so just accept it "ok")
Now type and enter:
wine /path/to/setup.exe (or whatever exe is appropriate)
If the gamesetup.exe is in your home directory, and you are in a user terminal, you can skip the path statement, for example:
wine game.exe
Hope that helps.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby HerrSchafer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 18:54

@dave_64: Thanks! I must confess I never thought about to use wine through command line. I'll test it as soon as I get my notebook.
HerrSchafer
Baby Hen

Postby HerrSchafer » Sat Aug 03, 2013 16:22

I've tried as said above, but got an error ; I've tried 3 different files ".exe" and two fail; the one which succeeds doesn't appear in my menu nor at wine apps.
HerrSchafer
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 19:57

There is an update from wine 1.6 rcX to wine 1.6 which has fixed some of the problems for me. It is also worth while installing winetricks (run from CLI winetricks) after the update. There are still a few problems but at least the wine items appear on the menu.

If you look in your .wine folder (it's a hidden one) you will find various folders and one is called "C", in that folder you will recognise windows folders and you should be able to click through to find the program file that succeeded. A click or double click on that should open the programme)

(Running SL KDE AMD64 fully updated and using systemd)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby HerrSchafer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 21:23

I'm seriously thinking about use VMWare (or something like)...

@dunsurfin:
I'll try it! Thanks for helping!
HerrSchafer
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:27

Not all EXE files work out-of-the-box. That is especially true for games.

Some games don't work with all Wine versions, in which case you might need an older version (tools like playonlinux can help you there).

Games that require accelerated graphics might require tweaking your card in the registry and adding components like directx through winetricks.

For help with particular software/games, you should go to WineHQ. It's much easier to get help there, and their database gives you an idea on whether it is actually possible to run it under Wine or not.

Test your wine installation with something that isn't a game and doesn't depend on hardware or other software first. Don't use MS applications for tests, as they are known to resist wine. If you can get something simple running, then you know wine works.

If you can run it in Wine, it's most likely the fastest solution. There are even games that run faster in Wine than in Windows. Virtualbox is most likely too slow. VMWare is faster, but still, your game may not work at all or gets slowed down by the VM.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby HerrSchafer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 16:22

@life-on-mars: thanks for the tips; I'll look for solutions in the WineHQ!
HerrSchafer
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area