Upgrade trashed my system and now Rigo won't start!?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrade trashed my system and now Rigo won't start!?

Postby LichPortal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 22:18

I was running Sabayon 11 KDE, did an upgrade via Rigo, and (after a couple of hours) the upgrade process stopped dead. Something had obviously died silently.

I rebooted and logged in, but I only got a console. I.e., no X-windows, no KDE, no nothing. Couldn't even run a browser to ask for help on this forum. OK, this is serious. The upgrade pretty much trashed my existing system. :x

Not knowing what else to do, I reinstalled Sabayon 11 from scratch off my original DVD, downloaded the iso file for Sabayon 13.04, and installed it (i.e., as a fresh install). Seemed ok.

Then I opened Rigo. It said upgrades were available, so I told it to apply them all. Seemed ok, and I rebooted my system.

But now, when I try to start Rigo from the launcher, the little icon just bounces for a while and then silently disappears. I.e., Rigo fails to start. I don't get a popup error message. Nothing. What's gone wrong? How do I fix it?
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Re: Upgrade trashed my system and now Rigo won't start!?

Postby joost » Fri Jul 26, 2013 22:32

try launching it from a shell.
Without more details we certainly have no idea.

Open terminal/Konsole and type in (as normal user) "rigo" then copy paste the output here.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:28

Perhaps you can resume the upgrade with equo from a terminal:

Code: Select all
equo upgrade
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby LichPortal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:50

joost wrote:Open terminal/Konsole and type in (as normal user) "rigo" then copy paste the output here.

OK, here's the output:

rigo:7114): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(rigo:7114): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(rigo:7114): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(rigo:7114): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(rigo:7114): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:5826: widget `GtkEntry' has no activatable signal "move-cursor" without arguments

(rigo:7114): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:5826: widget `GtkEntry' has no activatable signal "delete-from-cursor" without arguments

(rigo:7114): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion `path != NULL' failed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 994, in <module>
    app = Rigo()
  File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 273, in __init__
    True, AppListStore.ICON_SIZE, store=None)
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/apptreeview.py", line 66, in __init__
    scrolling_cb=_is_scrolling)
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/cellrenderers.py", line 103, in __init__
    self.OVERLAY_SIZE, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/types.py", line 113, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to load icon
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby LichPortal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:01

life-on-mars wrote:Perhaps you can resume the upgrade with equo from a terminal: [...]
The upgrade appeared to have finished -- except for a complaint about 3 config files needing checking and updating (which is a bit bizarre -- how would a newbie know what to do with them??).

Anyway, I ran "equo upgrade", and it said the same thing and told me there's nothing to upgrade or remove, but then told me to run "equo conf update", so I did. I chose the "-5" option (automerge all the files without questioning). Then I rebooted. But... no change. Rigo still gives the same errors as posted above. :cry:
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Sat Jul 27, 2013 15:12

A guess, maybe this will fix it.
run as root:
equo install gdk-pixbuf

//edit: fixed a typo
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby LichPortal » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11

joost wrote:A guess, maybe this will fix it.
run as root:
equo install gdk-pixbug
Alas, no...

# equo install gdk-pixbug
>> !!! No match for gdk-pixbug in repositories.
>> ? When you wrote gdk-pixbug You Meant(tm) one of these below?
>> # dev-perl/GD-SVG
>> # x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf
>> # dev-vcs/git-cvs
>> # dev-vcs/git-subversion
>> # dev-util/gtk-builder-convert
>> # net-libs/gtk-vnc
>> # dev-perl/gtk2-fu
>> # dev-perl/gtk2-perl
>> # games-puzzle/gtkballs
>> # games-board/gtkboard
>> # app-benchmarks/gtkperf
>> # app-pda/gtkpod
>> # app-text/gtkspell
>> # app-text/gtkspell
>> # dev-python/gtkspell-python
>> # sci-electronics/gtkwave
>> No packages found.
#

Edit: Guessing that you might have meant "equo install gdk-pixbuf", I tried the latter, which seemed to perform a nontrivial install. After reboot, Rigo now starts up, so it seems your guess was right (modulo a typo).

But... I guess this means the tree of Rigo's dependencies is broken somewhere? That's kinda serious, no?
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:52

After each upgrade, perhaps even after each software install, you should also run equo deptest and equo libtest, and as I recently came to realise, check your eselect settings (some upgrades seem to reset them). If you don't do this, evil things happen sooner or later. :twisted:
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:57

My system very recently suffered a hard-drive failure (the hard drive was 8 months old :evil:), and I am now attempting to complete a fresh installation. My system is allegedly fully current now. I have also placed a few extra packages, including the 3.10.0 kernel and sources, as well as the ATI drivers and the vim editor. Other than this, I have not placed the additional packages I need which go beyond a LiveCD/DVD install.

I am also seeing a Rigo failure. I am hoping this can be fixed quickly since I very greatly depend on Rigo.

As for the suggestion regarding "gdk-pixbug", I think joost likely meant "gdk-pixbuf".
I performed "su" to root.
I executed "equo query gdk-pixbuf" and this was returned:
Titanic / # equo query installed gdk-pixbuf
>>  @@ Searching...
>>      @@ Package: x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-2.28.2 branch: 5, [__system__]
>>         Installed:     version: 2.28.2 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>         Slot:          2
>>         Homepage:      http://www.gtk.org/
>>         Description:   Image loading library for GTK+
>>         License:       LGPL-2+
>>  Keywords:  gdk-pixbuf
>>  Found:     1 entry

The following was returned by "equo deptest" and "equo libtest":
Titanic / # equo deptest
>>  @@ Running dependency test...
>>
Titanic / # equo libtest
>>  @@ Libraries test
>>  @@ discarding directory: /usr/lib64, because it's symlinked on: /usr/lib
>>  @@ discarding directory: /lib64, because it's symlinked on: /lib
>>  @@ Collecting broken executables
>>  @@ Attention: don't worry about libraries that are shown here but not later.
>>  @@ Matching broken libraries/executables
>>  @@ System is healthy.

I also executed "equo update" and was told the repository was up-to-date. I then forced the update by executing "equo update --force". After this I executed "equo install entropy rigo" and the result follows:
Titanic / # equo install entropy rigo
>>  @@ Calculating dependencies...
>>  ## [R] [sabayon-weekly] app-admin/rigo-210|0   [210|0]
>>  ## [R] [sabayon-weekly] sys-apps/entropy-210|0   [210|0]
>>  @@ Packages needing to be installed/updated/downgraded: 2
>>  @@ Packages needing to be removed: 0
>>  @@ Download size: 0b
>>  @@ Freed disk space: 0.0b
>>  @@ You need at least: 1.5MB of free space
>>  ::: >>>  (1/1) 2 packages
>>    ## Package checksum matches: app-admin:rigo-210.279b2fd7e6b33c8da16d98784e143d955dc5a15e~0.tbz2
>>    ## Package checksum matches: sys-apps:entropy-210.46e24c51d1c15d4112f04c0dd99b557d8c688cb4~0.tbz2
>>  +++ >>>  (1/2) app-admin/rigo-210
>>    ## Unpacking: app-admin:rigo-210.279b2fd7e6b33c8da16d98784e143d955dc5a15e~0.tbz2                                                                         
>>    ## Installing package: app-admin/rigo-210
>>    ## [Rigo, the Sabayon Application Browser]
>>    ## Updating database: app-admin/rigo-210
>>    ## Cleaning previously installed application data.
>>    ## Package phase: postremove
 * Updating shared mime info database ...                                       
 * Updating desktop mime database ...                                           
>>    ## Package phase: postinstall
 * Updating shared mime info database ...                                       
 * Updating desktop mime database ...                                           
 * Compilation and optimization of Python modules placed outside of site-packages directories for CPython 2.7 ...                                        [ ok ]
>>    ## Cleaning: app-admin/rigo-210
>>  +++ >>>  (2/2) sys-apps/entropy-210
>>    ## Unpacking: sys-apps:entropy-210.46e24c51d1c15d4112f04c0dd99b557d8c688cb4~0.tbz2                                                                       
>>    ## Package phase: setup
>>    ## Installing package: sys-apps/entropy-210
>>    ## [Entropy Package Manager foundation library]
>>    ## Updating database: sys-apps/entropy-210
>>    ## Cleaning previously installed application data.
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>    ## Package phase: postremove
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>    ## Package phase: postinstall
 * Purging current Entropy cache
 * Compilation and optimization of Python modules placed outside of site-packages directories for CPython 2.7 ...                                        [ ok ]

* If you want to enable Entropy packages delta download support, please
 * install dev-util/bsdiff.

>>    ## Cleaning: sys-apps/entropy-210
>>  @@ Installation complete.
>>  @@ No configuration files to update.

I then executed "equo --version" and as expected it returned "210". However, no version number was returned for "entropy", and this deviates from the description seen in http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy.

Thank you very much in advance.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01

What follows is what is pumped to stderr when I enter "rigo" on the command line as a non-root user:
Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `gtk-toolbar-style' of type `GtkToolbarStyle' from rc file value "((GString*) 0x339f8c0)" of type `GtkToolbarStyle'                                     

(rigo:7219): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(rigo:7219): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(rigo:7219): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_new_for_path: assertion `path != NULL' failed

(rigo:7219): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed

(rigo:7219): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:5826: widget `GtkEntry' has no activatable signal "move-cursor" without arguments

(rigo:7219): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:5826: widget `GtkEntry' has no activatable signal "delete-from-cursor" without arguments

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 994, in <module>
    app = Rigo()
  File "/usr/bin/rigo", line 273, in __init__
    True, AppListStore.ICON_SIZE, store=None)
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/apptreeview.py", line 66, in __init__
    scrolling_cb=_is_scrolling)
  File "/usr/lib/rigo/rigo/ui/gtk3/widgets/cellrenderers.py", line 103, in __init__
    self.OVERLAY_SIZE, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gi/types.py", line 113, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to load icon

Thank you again for your assistance.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area