rpm/deb to tar?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

rpm/deb to tar?

Postby sephius » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:33

Hi,
new to sabayon just want to know how i can install a rpm or deb program, or convert it to tar,gz so i can install
is there a simple program to do that?
Thanks
sephius
Baby Hen

Re: rpm/deb to tar?

Postby dave_64 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:15

What program or programs are you trying to install? Most programs that exist as rpms or debs, are also available in the sabayon repositories, and are easily installed by using entropy, the sabayon package manager. If they are not in the repositories, you might request the package, or, it is also possible to use the gentoo package manager to build the program package from source, but that is a little more difficult. It's better to request the package.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby sephius » Sat Jul 20, 2013 14:56

trying to install my vpn client astrill.com, they only have deb and rpm, its the only program that i need that cannot find in tar
sephius
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 15:09

Have you seen the following? Astrill: Copycat VPN Service

Michael Zambrano wrote:On my great but unpleasant surprise I noticed that Astrill, by many reviews a VPN service provider positioned among top 10, totally ripped off HideMyAss’ web page. Really, Astrill? Is that how you intend to win new customers? Hardly..

Astrill_Shagged wrote:What people dont know is that Astrill is a Nigerian fraud scam in collaboration with Chinese investors... the idea is to get people to sign up and after a little period of use they cut off the client without a refund and stop answering all support enquires... they also collect your computer or device mac id and blacklist you so that their service does not work on your device,,,,,,, AVOID ASTRIL AT ALL COST... IT IS A FRAUD!!!!!! to be fore warned is to be fore armed

:shock:

Can't you just use Tor? Tor enables you to browse Web sites that are blocked or monitored in certain countries, and even use Skype in offices that block Skype use. See e.g. How to install and use Tor for anonymous browsing or to access country-restricted content from another country.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sephius » Sat Jul 20, 2013 15:29

hmm did not had problems yet with astrill, but now im scared lol
but right now i really need to know if there is a way to use astrill, as its the vpn service i paid for and until time finish or find out they are really a scam and i need to move.
Thanks again

ive tested several distros and sabayon best so far, i just need to get this small thing working if i can will be my distro of choice for sure
sephius
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:27

Hallo Sephius.
I had the same situation like you describe, there is a package as .deb but not in Rigo. It was
kde-service-menu-fuseiso
So, I've downloaded it as .deb package and then I did:
Code: Select all
ar -x kde-service-menu-fuseiso.deb

Then a new data.tar.gz file is generated. You can unpack it.
Then you will see directories and directory entries also. Those entries have to be placed then at the according location on your system. I think, you can copy root (/) from archive to root (/) of your system.
Then your deb content will be copied to your system. And ready to execute.
BUT be aware! That does not mean, you won't have dependency problems. Maybe you'll need to install new libraries, programs or else! In my case with the KDE-Service it was not, but others have, sure!
And second: In threads before, there was warned, the integrity of your system might be damaged.
Despite that, updates are not followed by Rigo.
Anyway, I see reasons to install deb packages, because Rigo (Sabayon repos) don't offer them.
I'm sorry, I can't help you with rpm.
Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sun Jul 21, 2013 13:28

IMHO, anyone who is capable of using Linux doesn't need VPN services that are inherently unstable anyway. Get yourself a VPS with OpenVZ Linux on it and install OpenVPN, Obfuscated SSH or whatever you want on it. More control, more reliable, faster and cheaper at the same time.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area