How do I install an older version of Wine?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How do I install an older version of Wine?

Postby Skotches » Tue Jul 09, 2013 20:03

So, I boot up with the live USB just fine and wine runs World of Warcraft with ease. There's a few other bugs with the USB boot, like playing flash online and midori seems a bit lacking, but updates and installing a different browser nearly fixes everything (the flash playing is still a little, well, not as smooth as windows 7, but nothing that prevents me from watching). What doesn't work after the 200+ updates is WoW. When I run it with the -opengl (wine wow.exe -opengl) tag it'll actually open up with the logon screen, but doesn't do much more than that. If, after typing in the password and waiting a min or two for it actually to register that I typed anything at all, then trying to connect, it disconnects.

I think it might be wine. Or at least that's my newest theory. Rigo tries to install wine 1.6 which is "the bleeding edge" and I want to try 1.4 which, per wine, is the stable release. However there's not an option in the gui application install for installing a previous version, I tried to download it from WineHQ (wine-1.4.1.tar.bz2) and I can extract that but not sure what the install procedure is.
Skotches
Baby Hen

Re: How do I install an older version of Wine?

Postby Skotches » Tue Jul 09, 2013 21:25

Maybe I should put that I'm using xfce, entropy, and rigo?
Skotches
Baby Hen

Postby Provia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44

IMHO the best solution is to use playonlinux

Code: Select all
sudo equo install playonlinux

It gives you the possibility to install different version of wine for each windows app you have installed. Furthermore with playonlinux you have diffrent windows configuration for each windows app and you will get wine updates as soon as they are released(from playonlinux wine reposistory).
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby Skotches » Sat Jul 13, 2013 15:56

That worked, after fiddling around with playonlinux figured it all out. Didn't actually fix the problem, but tested my theory.
Skotches
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area