no more restart [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

no more restart [Solved]

Postby heathen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:03

Hey ya'll,
Just downloaded the update to 13.07-r2 and now the Restart option in the UI's shutdown window is gone. Actually, all that's there now is Suspend, Hibernate, or Cancel. All I can do is wait for the 60 second count down or hard boot if I want to shut down or restart. :?
Last edited by heathen on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:13, edited 1 time in total.
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...
heathen
Growing Hen

Re: no more restart

Postby d72 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24

I'm having this problem too, with MATE

Is it some kind of permission issue?

heathen wrote:All I can do is wait for the 60 second count down or hard boot if I want to shut down or restart. :?

You can open a terminal and:

Code: Select all
sudo shutdown -h now

or for reboot:

Code: Select all
sudo shutdown -r now
d72
Baby Hen

Postby heathen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 18:24

Hmm.. I'll check when I can, we're back on the road now so it may be a couple days..
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby heathen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14

well, I didn't try the whole sentence you suggested but ( reboot ) works but only as root. I guess I'll have to look into user permissions...
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20

You didn't provide any info about your system. You didn't even used the search function or had a look at the latest threads.
What do you expect from us? I'm sure pretty much nothing.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby heathen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 15:40

My system is in my signature. I did search quite a bit and didn't find anything helpful unless I'm missing some keyword I haven't thought of. I also searched all over wiki and found nothing helpful there for this specific issue as well. I did the obligatory deptest, libtest, update, upgrade, and upgraded my kernel which I hadn't done in a couple months. Also, I posted this in the Beginners/Newbies Area, and have posted simple questions like this before and have gotten loads of help in the past. What more do you expect from me?
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 20:37

The other threads about it are here:
http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=30265
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=30259

Unfortunately your signature gives very little information:

"Sabayon 13 mate". Is it x86 or AMD64? Which kernel?

"a partitioned Aspire One D270" means very little to anyone who hasn't got one or isn't going to look it up - and how is it partitioned?

You mentioned that you did deptest etc. but you didn't put that in your original post. It really is quite important to put as much information as you can to start with and if you don't know what information to give then it's OK to say "what information can help".

Please don't be put off by lxnay's terse style. You did post in the beginners/newbies area and that should mean a gentler approach but lxnay has his own style (we have crossed swords several times) and I'm only beginning to understand it now after 6 years. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 21:17

When you get tons of people asking for help without willing to provide any info on what is going on, yeah, it gets frustrating because you cannot help them...
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby d72 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26

I've updated mate-power-manager but I still have no shutdown option, I've also done deptest, libtest, update and upgrade too.

I installed Sabayon on my PC and my laptop about a week ago, both have this issue, neither were fixed with the mate-power-manager update. Both are fully updated, latest kernel.

I haven't got the consolekit package installed, it isn't available either
d72
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:32

What repositories are you using? What is the md5 of the mate-power-manager package you updated (equo match --installed mate-power-manager)? Did you install all the updates? In sabayon-limbo there's a version that works with both openrc and systemd, what init system are you using?
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area