Old Computer User New To Sabayon Linux... PERIOD!

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Old Computer User New To Sabayon Linux... PERIOD!

Postby EpicComputerMan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 18:25

Hello, my real name is Chris Ferguson.

I'm 22 years old.

I've been an active Computer User since 1995.

I've been an active Internet User since 2002.

I was an active Linux User from January 2005 to June 2008.

I stopped using Linux in June 2008 and started using it again yesterday... both for personal reasons relating to me wanting to spend time more socializing than learning about computers... I have Asperger's Syndrome... my friends and family members think I'm a fun computer genius even though I tell myself in myself that there is so much I don't know... anyone who talks down towards people with Asperger's Syndrome an uneducated twat in my eyes.

I talk and type in American English.

I read British English.

I installed Sabayon Linux with the intention of getting away from paid software forever because I've had it up to here with Microsoft. After what they did to Skype, I don't think I'll ever regain respect for them. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit is the last OS from them that I'll ever pay for and it sucks I'm going to have to use their stupid and overpriced operating systems at school but one day... I'll have a lot of people moving away from Windows and onto Linux... I know people have tried that before and failed but I truly I can make a difference... I have a proven track record for being a Computer Influencer... I come from a very successful family... my parents are both highly respected at their jobs... my brother is the smartest abstract thinker I know... and no one I know offline knows more about Computers I do but lots of people I know through the internet do.

I used to use Ubuntu and Linux Mint but those distros don't fit my personality well enough for me to use them... I choose Sabayon Linux becuase it fits my personality better than any other distro of Linux.

Anyway, I'm having serious issues with Sabayon Linux and I would strongly appreciate it if people would judge my personality based on this post and try to figure to find a solution to any current or future problems I may encounter with Sabayon.
EpicComputerMan
Baby Hen

Re: Old Computer User New To Sabayon Linux... PERIOD!

Postby dave_64 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:59

Interesting post! You seem to be a good candidate for Sabayon Linux. You came to the right place. This forum is a great place to get help with specific issues. I don't think I've seen any rudeness in the advice that's been given.
What issues are you having? Exactly which version of Sabayon did you install? What are some of your hardware specs?
Oh, and by the way, don't expect to convert a lot of people to linux. Linux users have been talking about a "tipping point" of widespread linux adoption for years, and it hasn't happened. On the other hand, if you count Android, and several other things like routers, and TV's, you could probably make the argument that linux is the dominant OS already. It certainly is the dominant OS in the top 500 supercomputers in the world. But, on the desktop, adoption is slow.
Welcome to Sabayon.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby EpicComputerMan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 23:23

dave_64 wrote:Interesting post! You seem to be a good candidate for Sabayon Linux. You came to the right place. This forum is a great place to get help with specific issues. I don't think I've seen any rudeness in the advice that's been given.
What issues are you having? Exactly which version of Sabayon did you install? What are some of your hardware specs?
Oh, and by the way, don't expect to convert a lot of people to linux. Linux users have been talking about a "tipping point" of widespread linux adoption for years, and it hasn't happened. On the other hand, if you count Android, and several other things like routers, and TV's, you could probably make the argument that linux is the dominant OS already. It certainly is the dominant OS in the top 500 supercomputers in the world. But, on the desktop, adoption is slow.
Welcome to Sabayon.

Thanks for the response. You're really nice and I'm very sorry in advance if my post below is asking for too much.

I understand everything you said but the word "slow" has a different meaning than the sentence... "I give up.". ;) :D

Sabayon Linux Issues As Of 06:37PM EST
      1.) I can't emerge anything without getting an error.
      2.) The time is 4 hours off and I fixed it with the terminal but as soon as I reformatted my computer... there it goes again.
      3.) 1.043201] does not support SMP
      mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
      No volume groups found - I get thsi when I boot into Sabayon Linux before it asks me for my passphrase.

As you can see. My biggest conflicts relate to me not understanding Portage and I want to master it. If I can master Portage, it will give me a lot more computing confident than what I have right now. I hate learning from books and love learning from experience because I'm not the biggest fan of the order, structure, and hypocrtical in a lot of books. Overall, people get more from real life experience than books. I do like information websites though and I would love it if someone wrote a step-by-step guide on Portage with Sabayon Linux based on a fresh real life experience for me if there isn't one out there already. I'm going to try to learn how to use Portable and I'll go to the forums if I need help. I have to admit, I am a lazy reader and I hope that me using Sabayon Linux will change that.
Last edited by EpicComputerMan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37, edited 2 times in total.
EpicComputerMan
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:29

As I understand it, your goal in learning portage is to give you a better understanding of how linux works. Portage is the Gentoo package manager. Sabayon used portage in its early years, but eventually, the developers created their own package manager, called entropy. It is based on portage, but, to the end user, it would look and act pretty much like most other package managers, such as mint, fedora, opensuse, ubuntu, and mandriva, etc. Gentoo's portage is nearly unique, in that it is an automated compile of source based packages. This gives the end user a great deal of control over how the package is built. You can build the package for speed, stability, or comfort, or some mixture of them.. However, it takes some time and talent to achieve that level of control. It's a good idea to learn the concept, even if you don't become proficient with it.
Most Sabayon users have transitioned to entropy, which offers pre-compiled packages...just download and install. You can use portage if you like, but, if your goal is just to learn the concept and gain an understanding of linux, I would suggest you upgrade your sabayon with entropy, and then, perhaps in a week or two, try installing a package with portage. If you decide to use portage as your package manager, there's no problem. However, if you want to revert back to entropy, you may have some issues. Mixing entropy and portage should be done in a certain way if you want to keep that option open.
To upgrade your sabayon using entropy, simply issue these two commands at a root terminal:
equo update
That won't take very long...it's just taking stock of the repository.
The next command is:
equo upgrade
That may take some time, depending on the speed of your connection, your processor, and how many packages are needed to upgrade the system.
You may also need to run this command:
equo conf update
Check ending messages if that command is recommended.
I always respond with:
when running that command.

PS. Exactly which version of Sabayon did you install? What are some of your hardware specs?
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby EpicComputerMan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:07

dave_64 wrote:As I understand it, your goal in learning portage is to give you a better understanding of how linux works. Portage is the Gentoo package manager. Sabayon used portage in its early years, but eventually, the developers created their own package manager, called entropy. It is based on portage, but, to the end user, it would look and act pretty much like most other package managers, such as mint, fedora, opensuse, ubuntu, and mandriva, etc. Gentoo's portage is nearly unique, in that it is an automated compile of source based packages. This gives the end user a great deal of control over how the package is built. You can build the package for speed, stability, or comfort, or some mixture of them.. However, it takes some time and talent to achieve that level of control. It's a good idea to learn the concept, even if you don't become proficient with it.
Most Sabayon users have transitioned to entropy, which offers pre-compiled packages...just download and install. You can use portage if you like, but, if your goal is just to learn the concept and gain an understanding of linux, I would suggest you upgrade your sabayon with entropy, and then, perhaps in a week or two, try installing a package with portage. If you decide to use portage as your package manager, there's no problem. However, if you want to revert back to entropy, you may have some issues. Mixing entropy and portage should be done in a certain way if you want to keep that option open.
To upgrade your sabayon using entropy, simply issue these two commands at a root terminal:
equo update
That won't take very long...it's just taking stock of the repository.
The next command is:
equo upgrade
That may take some time, depending on the speed of your connection, your processor, and how many packages are needed to upgrade the system.
You may also need to run this command:
equo conf update
Check ending messages if that command is recommended.
I always respond with:
when running that command.

PS. Exactly which version of Sabayon did you install? What are some of your hardware specs?

Dave, you're the best.

SECOND BIGGEST CURRENT ISSUE: "Caja cannot handle "computer" locations."

Is it ok if I post screenshots of all the issues in this thread? Right now, I'm pissed about a different booting issue than the one in my previous post with a new install... still boots but I hate seeing text messages that indicate that something isn't right with my computer when I turn it on... right now... I just don't understand how to install programs... I get an error when I click on the computer icon too... another thing about MATE being slow is that the slower it is... the stronger it will be in the end when I'm introducing it to other people.

FIRST BIGGEST CURRENT ISSUE: "emerge ANY USEFUL PROGRAM
Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "ANY USEFUL PROGRAM".

emerge: searching for similar names... nothing similar found."

Anyway, I just got out of a deep state of depression with my computer... I installed the XFCE version of Sabayon... too many issues... I'm with the MATE version of it... my main and only real issue with this is that I don't understand it well enough YET but I know I'm fully capable of it... I know people say it's slow but my computer is strong with slow software and weak with fast software... anyway... AMD Phenom II X6 1100T with an Asus M4A785-M... ATI Radeon HD 6850... 1TB Hard Drive... I had Sabayon auto partition it for me during both installs... Thermaltake Case with Zalmon CPU Fan... that's all I can remember off the top of my head about what's in my computer tower.
EpicComputerMan
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:05

Nice computer! I haven't used portage for several years, so, I can't help you much. But I think you need to run this command (from a root terminal), before you can install any packages:
emerge --sync
That shouldn't take very long, as it's just taking stock of the repository.
After that, you can download, compile, and install packages. You may have to determine the exact package name. Sometimes it's as simple as:
emerge firefox

You might want to read this thread from a few weeks ago to give you an idea of what things you may encounter in portage.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29710
Also, take a look here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=2&chap=1

I won't be able to help you much beyond this, as I was never proficient with portage, and I have forgotten much of it. Maybe somebody else can jump in here, or maybe check the Gentoo forums.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby EpicComputerMan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 14:44

dave_64 wrote:Nice computer! I haven't used portage for several years, so, I can't help you much. But I think you need to run this command (from a root terminal), before you can install any packages:
emerge --sync
That shouldn't take very long, as it's just taking stock of the repository.
After that, you can download, compile, and install packages. You may have to determine the exact package name. Sometimes it's as simple as:
emerge firefox

You might want to read this thread from a few weeks ago to give you an idea of what things you may encounter in portage.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29710
Also, take a look here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=2&chap=1

I won't be able to help you much beyond this, as I was never proficient with portage, and I have forgotten much of it. Maybe somebody else can jump in here, or maybe check the Gentoo forums.

I appreciate you putting me in the right direction man. :)
EpicComputerMan
Baby Hen

Postby Honeyman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 22:34

EpicComputerMan wrote:
    Sabayon Linux Issues As Of 06:37PM EST
      2.) The time is 4 hours off and I fixed it with the terminal but as soon as I reformatted my computer... there it goes again.

What do you actually mean by I reformatted my computer? Did you do a fresh reinstall and had the installer format the partitions? Or did you reformat via a live system? Actually that distinction does not matter, since all data is lost (not completely, via forensic tools it is possible to recover them more or less), so your old system is gone. How do you expect the time settings to remain in place? They are gone too of course. But you can set your time zone during install and that sticks when booting into your system.

BTW: You do NOT have to quote the entire reply. Forum discussions being displayed as threaded conversations make it quite easy to see what one is replying to. In case you want to point to a specific passage of the previous poster's text, you can selectively quote her/him like I did in my response by surrounding the relevant text with "quote" and "/quote" and cutting out the rest. For " use square brackets []
This makes for much easier reading
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue Jul 02, 2013 0:51

Honeyman wrote:BTW: You do NOT have to quote the entire reply. Forum discussions being displayed as threaded conversations make it quite easy to see what one is replying to. In case you want to point to a specific passage of the previous poster's text, you can selectively quote her/him like I did in my response by surrounding the relevant text with "quote" and "/quote" and cutting out the rest. For " use square brackets []
This makes for much easier reading

Like so:
Code: Select all
[quote="Citation needed"]Quoted text[/quote]

will be displayed as
Citation needed wrote:Quoted text

Just hit the Quote-button when writing a post. Oh, and code-boxes are fine, when posting a larger file content ;-)
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Honeyman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49

Ryuno-Ki explained the thing with quotes so much better than me!!! :oops:
Thanks
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area