I no want *DM, but startx...

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

I no want *DM, but startx...

Postby violazoli » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41

Hi, excuse me for the bad English... I am a new Sabayon-user from Hungary. I installed the "core", and I like it, except a few little problems.

First: I not want any xdm, kdm, gdm... etc. I would like allways console login, and, if I want, I start the graphical environment with the startx command. How can I do it?
Second: I use Logitech K400 wireless keyboard, to my Lenovo T60 laptop. The AltGr no work. I use my own xmodmap file, based on the hungarian layout, but the AltGr-J not write me the iacute, and the Shift-AltGr-I not write the Iacute character. I not know, this is a special Fluxbox-problem maybe? I installed the SithWM windowmanager, but without the above "startx" possibility I cannot probe it.
3th: My MOC music player not play the midi files. Of course, first I emerged the Timidity++ and libtimidity programs, and after they the moc. Moc work good with mp3, ogg and sid and flac files, but not with the .mid

Can anyone help me?
violazoli
Simple Hen

Re: I no want *DM, but startx...

Postby violazoli » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:14

Okay, the "startx" succeeded: I changed a line in the /etc/conf.d/xdm file:
#DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"

Now no grapical loginmanager. And I can start the GUI with "startx" command. Now work the SithWM. But no work the AltGr... (The right Alt key).
violazoli
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area