bluetooth not working

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

bluetooth not working

Postby gocool » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30

Hi Friends,
I have an Acer laptop with bluetooth capability. But lately I am not seeing it functional any more. I am not sure what the issue could be. Some details about the machine:

Machine : Acer Aspire 5610
Sabayon : current (32 bit)
DE : KDE
Kernel : 3.7.0
Bluetooth.conf file : click here
Dmesg : click here
System and hw info : click here
Enabled services and runlevels : click here

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

UPDATE 1:

I figured out that the bluetooth deamon is not up and running so did the following :
Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/bluetooth start
rc-config add bluetooth

and rebooted the machine. Still it doesnt work.

In KDE the System Settings -> bluetooth says "No bluetooth adapters found"
~gocool
gocool
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 13:37

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby DeadlyWolf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02

Reinstall Bluez, Libbluedevil, Bluez Hcidump and Bluedevil then reboot and see it that fixes it, I have had to do that recently and it works for me.
Linux User #521458.
DeadlyWolf
Young Hen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:49
Location: Queensland Australia

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby pepe999 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 14:31

Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29838
Code: Select all
bluetoothd -u


edit: I have checked the information about the system and I can't find any bluetooth. The wireless card is Intel and just a simple wifi and not a combo so bluetooth must be an internal module most likely on the usb circuit as I had that on my old dv6. However, bluetooth is not mentioned anywhere in the hw details.
Are you sure that the laptop has a bluetooth module??
http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/noteboo ... 0sp2.shtml
The thing is that linux can detect hardware even when it is turned off. You could use this one in case that the module is not there or was damaged etc..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Blueto ... 6710558%26
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby gocool » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35

DeadlyWolf wrote:Reinstall Bluez, Libbluedevil, Bluez Hcidump and Bluedevil then reboot and see it that fixes it, I have had to do that recently and it works for me.


I reinstalled it and now atleast it shows in the dmesg but still I see no adapter available.
gocool
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 13:37

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby gocool » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39

pepe999 wrote:Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29838
Code: Select all
bluetoothd -u


edit: I have checked the information about the system and I can't find any bluetooth. The wireless card is Intel and just a simple wifi and not a combo so bluetooth must be an internal module most likely on the usb circuit as I had that on my old dv6. However, bluetooth is not mentioned anywhere in the hw details.
Are you sure that the laptop has a bluetooth module??
http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/noteboo ... 0sp2.shtml
The thing is that linux can detect hardware even when it is turned off. You could use this one in case that the module is not there or was damaged etc..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-Blueto ... 6710558%26


When I gave bluetoothd -u this is what i get
Code: Select all
D-Bus setup failed: Name already in use


Intersting why that link doesnt show bluetooth, but my machine has bluetooth in it.
gocool
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 13:37

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby pepe999 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:29

Have you tried to turn the wifi off and then on? I had to do it sometimes to restart the bluetooth module because I don't use it much. I think that bluetooth use the same switch as wifi so you can turn them both off and on.
Rfkill might also help you but install it first:
Code: Select all
equo install rfkill

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Doc ... ion/rfkill

edit: Make sure that packages: obexftp and pybluez are installed.
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby gocool » Wed Jun 19, 2013 13:25

pepe999 wrote:Have you tried to turn the wifi off and then on? I had to do it sometimes to restart the bluetooth module because I don't use it much. I think that bluetooth use the same switch as wifi so you can turn them both off and on.
Rfkill might also help you but install it first:
Code: Select all
equo install rfkill

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Doc ... ion/rfkill

edit: Make sure that packages: obexftp and pybluez are installed.


I have a separate button for bluetooth. When I press that I get the following error message in dmesg

Code: Select all
[87286.217624] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x84 on isa0060/serio0).
[87286.217637] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e004 <keycode>' to make it known.
[87286.217761] atkbd serio0: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x84 on isa0060/serio0).
[87286.217770] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e004 <keycode>' to make it known.


Should I still go with rfkill? I hope it wont mess up my wireless... do advice.
gocool
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 13:37

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby gocool » Thu Jun 20, 2013 0:48

The rfkill command gives the following output
Code: Select all
sabayon user # rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
gocool
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 13:37

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby pepe999 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 0:52

It looks like a bug. They had it on Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/198530
They fixed it in the udev-extras package. Have a look for hotkeys packages in Entropy. Seems to me like some kind of keyboard layout issue. You can't turn it on because the switch hotkey is messed up somehow.
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester

Re: bluetooth not working

Postby pepe999 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 0:58

gocool wrote:The rfkill command gives the following output
Code: Select all
sabayon user # rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no
1: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

This is as it should be.
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 19:24
Location: Manchester


Return to Beginners|Newbies Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests