System doesn't start to X

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

System doesn't start to X

Postby pepe999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 15:03

Hi all,
I have been cleaning system from unnecessary packages and ended up with a non working system. The thing I have done was that I uninstalled kernel 3.7.10 (original kernel after fresh install) with other two packages (bumblebee and bbswitch) and then install them again with my kernel version 3.9.0 (3.9.4) and bublebee just the package. I'm not able to boot to X anymore. I have tried all combinations with the xorg.conf (intel, nvidia, nv, vesa) and it says that there is no screen (FHD 1920x1080). I have added the resolution to the xorg.conf but still no luck. The log shows:
internal error could not resolve keysym xf86audiomicmute
and then stops.
I have also changed opengl to xorg-x11 or nvidia, reinstalled all nvidia packages, kernel etc but no luck with X server. I don't want to reinstall the system as it could be the best option. Anyone with suggestions, please?
Cheers pepe
Dell L502X - Core i7-2840QM/8GB DDR3/GF 540M 2GB/Corsair GT 240GB/Full HD
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Re: System doesn't start to X

Postby pepe999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 15:24

Well, I'm back from the system. All works now but nvidia seems to be not working. I have set the xorg.conf with intel card on screen 0, nvidia on screen 1, opengl to nvidia but nvidia-settings says that nvidia driver is not running and run nvidia-xconfig as root which is not working. Should I switch the screens to nvidia as 0 and intel as 1??
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 19:45

Did you make sure to update the nvidia driver to match the new kernel?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Provia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:08

I have the same problem installing a spinbase release. My drastic solution was reinstalling all and enabling kdm.service throught systemctl. I was not able to configure X. Maybe you can try to give
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig
instead typing that command after "su".
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby pepe999 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:38

Provia wrote:I have the same problem installing a spinbase release. My drastic solution was reinstalling all and enabling kdm.service throught systemctl. I was not able to configure X. Maybe you can try to give
Code: Select all
sudo nvidia-xconfig
instead typing that command after "su".

Hi guys, I'm no longer on Sabayon so no troubles this time. "nvidia-xconfig" used to be a package but it's not there and the command doesn't work with sudo or as root at all. There is a nice how to make a nvidia card working on Debian so I went back. The whole system I had was a mess. I have never seen that even in the live environment. There were two dates and clocks and actually everything was doubled, two working places on the bottom panel and when I opened an application there were even three opened tabs for a single application. Sabayon Gnome didn't like my Dell.:)
Debian 7
Win 7 still installed
Linux user no. 491024
pepe999
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area