Hard Drives not being recognized

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Hard Drives not being recognized

Postby Seanshine » Sat May 25, 2013 3:17

Hi guys, i just downloaded sabayon, and its my first try with using linux. i mounted the iso i got from the site and ran the auto run. when i get to the part in the installation where it asks for me to select the hard drive i want to install it on. neither of my HDD's show up. im not really sure where to go from here, any help is appreciated!
Seanshine
Baby Hen

Re: Hard Drives not being recognized

Postby joeoden » Sat May 25, 2013 10:40

Seanshine wrote:its my first try with using linux
Lucky they couldn't as you could have wiped your hard drive

You will need to do a few things before installing
1. Run the image as a live dvd first (that way you can see if it will work with your computer)
(set up computer so that it will boot from the dvd or usb, read the owners manual if you do not know how to do this)

2. Backup your hard disk drive, this is a must do if you are running another Operating System like MS Windows
(you can use one of the backup programs from the SystemRescueCD http://www.sysresccd.org )

3. Create at least 2 more partitions (one as root and the other as swap) on your hard disk drive
(you can use gparted from the SystemRescueCD)

What type of computer are you trying to install Linux on (Desktop or Laptop)
What type of hardware does your computer have

You may run into problems when creating the extra partitions depending which OS you already have installed on computer, but boot from the livedvd first to see if you like what you see then we can give more info about 2 and 3
Hope you stick with
Joe
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby Seanshine » Sat May 25, 2013 20:09

thanks! i've already backed everything up. i was prepared for the wipe. and im windows 7 currently. My desktop will definitely not have any trouble running the OS (specs wise), so that shouldn't be an issue. is it a must to boot from usb or cd?
Seanshine
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sun May 26, 2013 0:38

I don't think it's "a must" to install from a dvd, but I think it's simpler and more straightforward...less chance for error and, in the case of installing from a mounted iso file, less complicated. I always burn the iso file as an image on a dvd. It only takes a few minutes and a blank dvd.
By the way, when you install, keep in mind that linux identifies the hard drives as:
sda (first hard drive), or sdb (second hard drive). The installer will let you choose which one you want to install to, although, the menu is surprisingly tiny. You may have to look closely to find it.
As always, I recommend "custom layout or partitioning". Just delete any and all unwanted partitions, and create a new partition of at least 50000 mb, with / as the mount point, ext4 as the file system type. If your memory is marginal (2gb?), you should also create another partition with no mount point, file system of type= swap, and size of maybe 2000mb.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby joeoden » Sun May 26, 2013 5:49

Seanshine wrote:is it a must to boot from usb or cd?
No it is not, but it is better as you have far less problems (you have already seen the 'not finding your hard drives') I prefer to boot the live image from usb
It is good that you have created a backup of everything, by everything do you mean the whole drive as an image with a copy of the MBR and Partition table or just the data files you have created and stored in the My Documents folder

How you install Sabayon is up to you
Here is a good guide to follow https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... ners_Guide
Have fun
Joe
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby Honeyman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 0:35

joeoden wrote:It is good that you have created a backup of everything, by everything do you mean the whole drive as an image with a copy of the MBR and Partition table or just the data files you have created and stored in the My Documents folder

In case you are unsure about how to backup the MBR (Master Boot Record, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record) you can use the following command in the terminal while running the live system. Open a terminal emulator (Wikipedia-article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator) (depending on the desktop you are running it should be somewhere under APPLICATIONS > SYSTEM or ACCESSORIES). Get admin privileges by typing su -, I think in the live system you will not be asked for a password. Notice the command prompt will change from $ to #

You can then have all physical hard drives displayed via:
Code: Select all
fdisk -l

You might want to use a blank USB pen drive for making a copy of the existing MBR. It should get mounted under /run/media/NAME_OF_THE-LIVE-USER/NAME_OF_USB_STICK

If unsure run:
mount | column -t

This will show you all mounted partitions with their mountpoints, filesystems, permissions, etc. You should be able to identify your USB pen drive pretty quickly.

To backup the MBR on hard drive /dev/sda type:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/PATH/TO/YOUR/USB-DRIVE/NAME_OF_THE_BACKUP-FILE bs=512 count=1

This makes an exact copy, byte by byte of the first 512 mb of the hard drive in question. This is where the MBR iincluding the partition table reside. You will find further information also on how to restore the MBR in case need be here: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/ddcommand.htm

Hope this makes your first steps with Linux a little bit easier
Je me regarde pour me désoler,
je me compare pour me consoler

Maurice de Talleyrand
Honeyman
Growing Hen

Postby alip2890 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03

Honeyman wrote:
To backup the MBR on hard drive /dev/sda type:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/PATH/TO/YOUR/USB-DRIVE/NAME_OF_THE_BACKUP-FILE bs=512 count=1

Might be something else than 512 bytes as well.
fdisk -lu
will show the start of the first partition. This is also the size of the MBR.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/ ... 2010/08/28
Lenovo Thinkpad X230
alip2890
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area