Can´t see Home folder using live DVD [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Can´t see Home folder using live DVD [Solved]

Postby hede » Fri May 24, 2013 7:57

When I am running the Sabayon live DVD, I can´t see the Home folder on the Sabayon that is installed on my HD.
Is there some way to make this possible.
It is the KDE version, and I have installed using the default settings, not making any partitioning myself.

Arne
Last edited by hede on Mon May 27, 2013 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
hede
Baby Hen

Re: Can´t see Home folder using live DVD

Postby TDKyon » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12

Are you able to see these partitions once you open up some folder, see this example: http://imgbox.com/acco3F4s
I made that picture from live usb.
If the answer is 'I don't see any of my partitions like these one shown in the picture' then you will have to mount the desired partitions and devices manually via the terminal. It's well known systemd bug in 13.04, so you are not the only one faced that weird issue ;]

lsblk - to see all of your partitions, correct and replace the following numbers below with yours
(if lsblk does not looks eyecandy then install kparted)
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt - to mount your sdb1 ntfs partition in (root folder) /mnt
mount -t vfat /dev/sdf1 /mnt - to mount your sdf1 fat(32) partition in (root folder) /mnt
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt - to mount your installed Sabayon HDD partition on the live DVD

To unmount partition or devices simply insert the symbol u infront of these commands: umount

edit: Keep in mind that mounting partitions and devices on your (root folder) /mnt gonna give you only read access, so if you wanna move/delete/modify files on these partitions/devices you must to mount these things somewhere inside of /home/livedvduser/newfolder
TDKyon
Young Hen

Re: Can´t see Home folder using live DVD

Postby hede » Fri May 24, 2013 15:14

I tried to mount like You said, but only got this message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
I will look at it again tomorrow, I'm off to work now :-)
hede
Baby Hen

Re: Can´t see Home folder using live DVD [Solved]

Postby hede » Mon May 27, 2013 15:32

Well, I didn't really solve the problem. I tried to install LVM, but still unable to mount partitions, so now I did a fresh install, with manual partitioning.
hede
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area