Questions about bzimage & kernel source deletions [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Questions about bzimage & kernel source deletions [Solved]

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun May 19, 2013 2:59

Hi. I have read https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... The_kernel and that explained much, but I hope you can address some questions.

I have followed instructions found in the Hardware subforum (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808) where we were instructed to use commands such as
Code: Select all
equo install =sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.9-r3
equo install =sys-kernel/sabayon-sources-3.9-r3
equo install x11-drivers/ati-drivers-13.4#3.9.0-sabayon amdcccle
eselect bzimage set kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.0-sabayon
eselect kernel set linux-3.9.0-sabayon

I have done this multiple times for multiple bzimages, kernel sources and driver modules.

I would like to do a little house-keeping and remove the older bzimages, kernel sources and driver modules, and do so without upsetting grub and the operating system. Do to my lack of experience with Sabayon, I am concerned that performing this removal without detailed cookbook instructions is inviting disaster. Is removing multiple unwanted bzimages and kernel sources as simple as removing them with Rigo? I've never used "kernel-switcher" as described in the preceding Wiki link. Please understand that once I remove a bzimage, I do NOT want it showing up in the grub boot menu.

Thank you.
Last edited by VolvoBirkenstock on Sun May 19, 2013 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Re: Questions about bzimage & kernel source deletions

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 19, 2013 11:13

equo remove linux-sabayon-x.y.z

will take care of removing everything for version x.y.z of the kernel. So, if for example you were using kernel image linux-sabayon-3.6-r3 and have switched to linux-sabayon-3.9.1, you would use the following command to remove all the files of the old kernel:

equo remove linux-sabayon-3.6-r3

The version you remove using the above command will not show up in the GRUB 2 menu any more because the above command will also run the grub2-mkconfig command.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun May 19, 2013 19:33

Excellent. Thank you. Are you saying that
equo remove linux-sabayon-3.6-r3

removes all files associated with the 3.6-r3 kernel AND the 3.6-r3 kernel source code supposedly also previously installed using
equo install =sys-kernel/sabayon-sources-3.6-r3

as well as cleaning up grub? If so, then that really is an excellent software management system!
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 19, 2013 20:19

No, it will remove the binaries that were installed by the package linux-sabayon. If you also want to remove the kernel source code which is installed by the package sabayon-sources then you would use the following command:

equo remove linux-sabayon-3.6-r3 sabayon-sources-3.6-r3

It makes sense not to automatically remove the source when removing the binaries. The more-experienced users could want the source code to be available locally even if the image is not.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun May 19, 2013 23:46

OK. Thank you very much. This explains it well. It would be a good idea to have multiple source revisions around just to diff to debug a recent problem. I'll place [Solved] on the subject line now.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area