KDE locks waking from sleep

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE locks waking from sleep

Postby sez » Mon May 13, 2013 1:36

Hi,

I'm new to Sabayon. I tried it about a year ago, left, and then came back because I'm really interested in using a rolling distro. I've gotten just about everything I need working, but am having some trouble when my machine (a ThinkPad Edge) goes to sleep.

When I wake the machine back up, my mouse moves, but I can't click on anything. If I Ctrl-Alt-F1, I can get to a terminal, log in as root, go to /etc/init.d, and do ./xdm restart to get my desktop back, but this is obviously not a great workaround--especially if I had any programs running. But it does show that the machine is coming back fine from sleep; the problem seems to be something having to do with KDE.

Does anybody have a clue what might be causing this? I'm at a loss.

Thanks!

--Rich
sez
Baby Hen

Re: KDE locks waking from sleep

Postby notzippy » Mon May 13, 2013 16:34

Do you have any widgets enabled on your screen saver ? Disable them and see if it works better.
notzippy
Growing Hen

Postby sez » Mon May 13, 2013 21:54

Thanks for responding!

No, I don't have any widgets on my screensaver. I have installed Kscreensaver and am using the ASCIIquarium screen saver.

After playing around with it, it does seem to be related to the screensaver. If I turn off "lock on resume," I can resume without any issues. So it seems there's a bug somewhere in the screensaver code that's supposed to lock the machine when you resume it. I've turned that setting off for now; that's a much better workaround than my previous one. Do you think that's a KDE bug that's fixed upstream or an issue with the Sabayon packages? I didn't have this problem on Netrunner.

Thanks for your help!
sez
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue May 14, 2013 20:36

Don't know, since I am not running KDE here, but is there an intersect with Locking KDE "freezes" KDE?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby uhmzilighase » Sun May 26, 2013 15:07

sez wrote:When I wake the machine back up, my mouse moves, but I can't click on anything. If I Ctrl-Alt-F1, I can get to a terminal, log in as root, go to /etc/init.d, and do ./xdm restart to get my desktop back, but this is obviously not a great workaround--especially if I had any programs running. But it does show that the machine is coming back fine from sleep; the problem seems to be something having to do with KDE.

Does anybody have a clue what might be causing this? I'm at a loss.

Lots of bugs filed for this @ KDE. One workaround is to simply move the offender out of its usual home:
Code: Select all
su
cd
mv /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet ./

You'll not have a lockscreen after you do this.
uhmzilighase
Baby Hen

Postby sez » Wed May 29, 2013 21:53

Yeah; I basically did something similar; I disabled the lock on wake option, and now it's fine. Somewhat insecure, though.

I still think it's distro-related, though, because my work machine (on Netrunner) doesn't have this issue.
sez
Baby Hen

Postby sez » Thu May 30, 2013 0:14

Confirmed that even after the KDE 4.10.3 update, the problem still exists. Was hoping the update would solve it. :(
sez
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area