no grub after installation

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

no grub after installation

Postby qlus » Sun May 12, 2013 15:30

I have Compaq CQ58 301sw with windows 8 installed.
UEFI enabled, secure boot is disabled.
I have prepared some free space on my disk under windows.
I have installed sabayon 13.04. During installation there has been created sda6 partition. This was the only place where the grub could be installed.
After reboot there was no grub, windows stared to loading. I've made a reboot and pressed F9 to change 'Boot device options' in BIOS/UEFI. Sabayon was on the list. I've chose sabayon, grub appeared and i could choose sabayon or windows.
Sabayon runs without any problems.
After reboot windows started as changes under 'Boot device options' are not permanent.
The sda6 partition created by the installer was the efi partition, second one on my disk. First one was there already probably used by windows.
What should I do, to have the ability to boot to grub and to chose the system to load?
qlus
Baby Hen

Re: no grub after installation

Postby wolfden » Mon May 13, 2013 3:59

So you can change and boot everything by going into the BIOS settings and setting boot order? So it seems the BIOS setting are not saving your options?

Are you saving the changes to the BIOS upon making the changes?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lxnay » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04

Some systems have problems using more than one UEFI Boot Patition. Please just use the one on the first drive, which should also contain Windows 8 cruft.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby qlus » Mon May 13, 2013 18:38

@ wolfden
F10 - this is where I can change boot device. HDD, USB, CD or network card, those settings are permanent
F9 - boot device options here I can select the system to boot from those that are available. For example I can chose to run linux or windows. those settings cannot be saved.

@lxnay
I have deleted sabayon and started a fresh install. I can not use the first EFI partition. I have tried to mount it as /boot/efi but installer gives me information that system partition can not be on vfat partition and that /boot/efi is not an EFI partition.

I think I can convert EFI partition with gparted to FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system, but I don't know which is proper one.
I also don't know if I would lose access to windows after changing file system type on EFI partition
qlus
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon May 13, 2013 18:44

The /boot partition is different from the UEFI Boot Partition.
You are confusing two separate concepts/things.
Make a /boot partition using ext3 or ext4 and let the installer deal with your EFI Boot Partition, it will place a mount point inside /boot/efi.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby qlus » Mon May 20, 2013 17:53

I know that /boot (ext3 or 4) is different from UEFI (FAT32).
As I have written already I have EFI partition that was created for Win8.
The Sabayoon installer needs to create another EFI partition as it wrongly recognizes the Win8-EFI partition as vfat not FAT32 and can not mount it as /boot/efi.
I have tried fedora and ubuntu but they both also fail to boot properly.
There seems to be no way to set up grub properly during installation.
How can I do this from the sabayon?
qlus
Baby Hen

Postby msdobrescu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:15

In my case, I have installed Windows 8 EFI bootable, it created a FAT32 EFI boot partition and I try to make Sabayon 13.04 installer to recognize it and install the boot loader there. It doesn't. It asks me to place grub on MBR or Sabayon's root partition (I use one partition for all, root, home, swap etc.). Then, it seems to messed up the EFI partition anyway, as there is no Windows 8 boot anymore.

Any hints? Could the Sabayon installer be handled in a different way than MBR mode in order to boot in EFI mode, as Windows needs? Could I place it on a flash drive to alter it and make it properly handle the EFI boot?
msdobrescu
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area