Updated today and now fails to boot [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Updated today and now fails to boot [Solved]

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun May 12, 2013 7:41

Hi. I'm in newbie in a bad situation and I hope you can help.

I just finished a download/update through Rigo. After reboot my system failed to boot completely. The window manager did not start, and I cannot open a virtual terminal. I am able to place this post because I have subsequently booted off of the Sabayon 11 DVD/iso.

I used the default disk configuration, so my partitions are all apparently using logical volumes. In the event that I need to manually manipulate configuration files, I don't know how to manually mount these logical volumes, so I will need instructions on how to mount these logical volumes. I am using an ATI card with proprietary drivers and have previously followed all instructions found in the Hardware sub-forum and have had no significant problems. I did NOT upgrade to the 3.9-r3 kernel and 13.4 ATI drivers, but I was running the previous ATI drivers with the 3.8 kernel.

I hope you can help me resurrect this system. Otherwise I will have to reinstall the OS, and I'm not very fond of that idea.

Thank you.
Last edited by VolvoBirkenstock on Wed May 15, 2013 4:27, edited 1 time in total.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Re: Updated today and now fails to boot

Postby wolfden » Sun May 12, 2013 8:44

unfortunately you haven't provided enough info for anyone to help.

What sabayon iso? Sabayon 11 comes in many flavors
What hardware?
Errors?
Log files?
Try selective start up?

It sounds like a video card issue, but hard to say.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun May 12, 2013 15:07

Hi, Wolfden.

My system uses an AMD processor and was originally loaded using the KDE iso (Sabayon_Linux_11_amd64_K.iso). It has been rebooted successfully frequently since it was originally loaded and has been upgraded using Rigo and sabayon-weekly. I sent my previous post (above) using that system after it failed to reboot and then I booted off of the Sabayon 11 AMD64 KDE iso.

I agree with you. I also believe this is a video card issue. The video card is an AMD/ATI Radeon 7700.

Since I used the default disk configuration during the initial installation, the disks use LVM and a volume group. I don't know how to manually mount LVM/VG, so I have no access to any log files that are resident on the hard drive. I have tried to boot using previous kernels available in grub, but they all result in the same lack of X and no console terminal.

I can again boot of the Sabayon 11 KDE iso, but I need someone to provide a cookbook for manually mounting the default configuration LVM/VG hard drive, so I can then inspect log files and configuration files. Can you help? In the event that I have to load a new OS from scratch, I first must somehow mount this hard drive in order to copy off recent data.

Thank you very much.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby raman » Sun May 12, 2013 16:43

The same problem with XFCE and lxdm. With change to kdm no progress. I think too, that this is graphical issue, but I can't find a reason, maybe new driver.
I use nomodeset in boot loader, card - ATI 5750.
Issue - after kernel boot, DM is not starting, only blinking cursor. Disc is not working, can't go to console. Total freeze I think. I think I try to not start DM and go to console ASAP. Maybe then I can give more some logs.
The problems occures after the last weekly upgrade from sabayon-weekly.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby Provia » Sun May 12, 2013 17:00

raman can you give us grub conf file and the output of
Code: Select all
eselect opengl list

?
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby bnitch » Sun May 12, 2013 18:03

Same problem, last update broke Sabayon, now won't boot. Been running fine for months. Don't have a seperate home partition so not much to do but reload with 11 started with Sabayon X. Also have Ati video board and AMD cpu.
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Asus M5A88-V EVO
8 gb Memory G.Skill Ripjaws
Aureal Vortex sound card
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s
Vertex SSD 120gb
bnitch
Baby Hen

Postby raman » Sun May 12, 2013 18:04

You have right in my case, the problem was that update change driver to xorg. Now with:
eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   ati *
  [2]   nvidia
  [3]   xorg-x11

everything is fine.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 12, 2013 23:52

To those of you who cannot even get to a VT (virtual terminal) by using Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2 to F6), to check and if necessary use the command eselect opengl set ati (or eselect opengl set nvidia if you have an NVIDIA GPU), you can use a LiveDVD to chroot to the installation on your hard drive and do it that way. To find out how to chroot, see the SL Wiki article HOWTO: Chroot from a LIVECD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Mon May 13, 2013 0:41

Hi, Fitzcarraldo. I did not use "chroot" since I performed my efforts prior to reading your post. I performed a little research and found another way. Here is what I did:

I first booted into the "safe mode" equivalent and executed
eselect opengl list
[1] ati
[2] nvidia
[3] xorg-x11 *

I then executed
eselect opengl set ati

but it failed with what was essentially
rm: cannot remove /etc/env.d/03opengl: read only file system

How did i work around this? I booted using the Live DVD and executed
lvdisplay

This shows LV Path, LV Name(s) and VG Name.
I obtained the LV Name and VG Name for the root partition produced by the default installation.

I then executed
vgchange -a y <VG Name>
mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/<VG Name>/<LV Name> /mnt/root

Since I was in Live DVD, I then executed
eselect opengl list
[1] ati
[2] nvidia
[3] xorg-x11 *

I then executed
eselect opengl set ati

and this modified /etc/env.d/03opengl in the Live DVD OS file space to appear as I assume it should.

I then executed
cp /etc/env.d/03opengl /mnt/root/etc/env.d/03opengl

I also verified that there was a line in /mnt/root/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf that read:
blacklist radeon

in keeping with recommendations by anomaly65 in the Hardware group. I then executed
umount /mnt/root
vgchange -a n <VG Name>

I then rebooted. Unfortunately, after attempting to reboot I still have no display manager and no virtual terminal/console.

I hope I didn't mess anything up by using the method described above. I have verified multiple times that blacklist.conf, "nomodeset" in /etc/default/grub, and opencl and opengl are set according to anomaly65's most recent instructions in the Hardware forum. The only thing that I haven't done is upgrade from the 3.8 kernel to the 3.9 kernel and upgrade to the 13.4 ati driver.

As I said in an earlier post, my system was working up until yesterday's upgrade.

Thank you very much for your assistance. Let me know if there is any more information you need from me. I will now try to learn about "chroot".
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Mon May 13, 2013 0:59

I have also used the chroot method and have verified
(chroot) # eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   ati *
  [2]   nvidia
  [3]   xorg-x11
VolvoBirkenstock