Differences between Daily, Monthly, Weekly ?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Differences between Daily, Monthly, Weekly ?

Postby gat57 » Thu May 09, 2013 17:44

Hi,

I am very new on Sabayon Linux, and I plan to install it on my computer.

I have just one question : what differences is there between Daily, Monthly, Weekly release of Sabayon Linux ?

I mean, I've tried for example the release from last week (cf. http://www.sabayon.org/ ), and last daily release (the two were 64b KDE editions), but I didn't noticed any differences between these two versions.

For the monthly release, does it gonna be a new version for each month ? For daily, one each day ? :o

If so, which component are usually updated ? Daily used software (for example : web browser, desktop environment) or "back-end" softwares (for example : drivers, kernel, display manager and so on).

I don't know much about Sabayon, i'm quite used to Ubuntu, which usually do provide only security-related updates.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

P.S. : sorry for my bad English :oops: , if there is something which doesn't make any sense, please tell me :)
gat57
Baby Hen

Re: Differences between Daily, Monthly, Weekly ?

Postby wolfden » Thu May 09, 2013 20:11

They are version released at different times, the "daily" would be your testing iso where as "montly" would be more stable. Daily is pretty much weekly, we don't build isos every day.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby gat57 » Sat May 11, 2013 18:02

Ok, fine.

So, if i took the daily release, will I get more often up-to-date softwares through updates ? Or will it be the same as in Monthly ?
gat57
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 11, 2013 18:08

gat57 wrote:So, if i took the daily release, will I get more often up-to-date softwares through updates ?

Yes.

gat57 wrote:Or will it be the same as in Monthly ?

No.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 11, 2013 18:55

gat57, I should point out that, whatever the release (Daily/Weekly/Monthly), you can switch repositories. The "up-to-date'ness" (can't think of another way of putting it!) of packages will depend on which SL repository is being used: Package Repositories. So you could install a Monthly ISO and make it update to the bleeding-edge packages from the sabayon-limbo repository, for example (not that I would recommend you to do that, as that is the testing repository). I would recommend sticking to the sabayon-weekly repository, as it is a good compromise.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area