Remmina & VirtualBox

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Remmina & VirtualBox

Postby Stupot » Fri Aug 23, 2013 20:22

Your modules= looks right. You have to keep modprobing to get VirtualBox to run, but modprobes work?

Very odd indeed.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby loverollingrelease » Fri Aug 23, 2013 20:49

Hi Stupot,

I did modprobe (a couple times) and everything else in the wiki earlier. >http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Using_Virtualbox

I reinstalled virtualbox and did all the steps in the wiki again and guess what, it's working now!

Thanks linuxfluesterer and Stupot for your help, I'm glad it's working now.

regards
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 21:25

Hallo loverollingrelease.
For a better understanding of systemd, which is booting procedure in newer releases, here is a link to another thread:
https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=30512&p=165400&hilit=virtualbox#p165374

Then you can add your vbox.... - modules and load them automatically while booting. This is independent of KDE, Gnome or XFCE.
Hope, you can finish this topic then now.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby loverollingrelease » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:58

Hi linuxfluesterer,

Thanks for the hint...I thought I was finished with this after a reinstall and modprobing without restarting (virtualbox is working then)...but after a reboot virtualbox wasn't working again and the same error message appears.

Stupot is right, if the modules are not configurated for systemd it's useless to add the modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetadp, vboxnetflt) to "/etc/conf.d/modules", they're not starting on boot, you've to start them manually again after rebooting (that was my mistake I guess).

I'm glad you made a guide for systemd linuxfluesterer, I'll check it out asap.

Btw, why is systemd standard in newer releases? (the virtualbox-wiki is kind of useless then)

regards
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42

Hallo loverollingrelease.
I've followed some discussions about advantages of systemd (here in forum also).
There's some comparisons between sysvinit and systemd:
http://wiki.kaeilos.com/index.php/Systemd_vs_sysvinit

and this one here explains more about systemd itself:
http://www.pwsdb.com/pgm/?p=272

I've read, that Sabayon will stop support for OpenRC (sysvinit) after around 1 year from now and all new releases are based on systemd. See announcement (messages) in Rigo.

Due to change to systemd, all sysvinit based descriptions in the web how to use and install programs and modules are obsolete (useless).

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby loverollingrelease » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the info,

is there a guide for sabayon on how to switch to systemd or is it just "eselect sysvinit set systemd"? (I'll look on pwsdb.com)

regards
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26

Exactly, in cases which affect the system's behaviour due to serious changes like here, I would install a completely new realease, like you've done it with iso from 18th August.
Also here in forum there was asked how to change from sysvinit to systemd on a running system, but there occurred problems sometimes.
I think, a new release, prepared for using systemd as main init system, is more optimized for that new topic and it will prevent the problems which have occurred to some of our members here.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area