Canon Pixma?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Canon Pixma?

Postby heathen » Wed May 08, 2013 1:42

So.. My hubby bought this Pixma MX432, (multifunction printer scanner) and I've been trying to figure out if I can get it to work with my Sabayon. I found Cnijfilter 3.70 in Rigo and installed it but it does nothing, like it's not even there. I mean, it's in the Applications drop down menu but when I click on it absolutely nothing happens.
I did a search and found this: http://gpo.zugaina.org/net-print/cnijfilter . So I tried using layman -S then layman -s cnijfilter-3.80 (like it says to in the Wiki) to install this overlay and it's telling me that it doesn't exist even though I'm staring at it on the Portage page. Am I doing something wrong? The hubby had bought a different Canon printer a couple years ago that iI could never make work with Ubuntu when I had it either so I'm guessing this is a never ending issue?
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...
heathen
Growing Hen

Re: Canon Pixma?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 2:01

Support for Canon printers in Gentoo and SL (Sabayon Linux) can be a tricky business, depending on the model. Some models are supported by the open-source Gutenprint drivers, others only by Canon's closed-source drivers. In the latter case, the current state of affairs in SL is that you would need to install two packages for a Canon printer (if the particular model is supported): cnijfilter-drivers and cnijfilter.

If you look in the GitHub repository of the Portage sabayon overlay for the cnijfilter-drivers package, you'll see there are currently four versions of cnijfilter-drivers. None of them support your model MX432, but cnijfilter-drivers-3.70 supports the MX430 which may work for your model too. So you need to install the two packages cnijfilter-drivers-3.70 and cnijfilter via Rigo or via the command line:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password:  <-- Enter the root user's password.
# equo install cnijfilter-drivers-3.70 cnijfilter
# exit
$

Then you'll need to open a browser window and enter the URL http://localhost:631/ (that is the link to the CUPS Printer Manager on your PC) in the Address bar to configure your installation to use the printer, including specifying the installed driver it should use.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Wed May 08, 2013 2:30

Oh, I see. Cnijfilter driver 3.70 was the only item listed in Rigo so it was the only thing I installed.
It looks like there's a cnijfilter-driver-3.70 but no cnijfilte-3.70 listed https://github.com/Sabayon/for-gentoo/t ... cnijfilter .... Why would there be one but not the other? I guess this would explain why CUPS isn't working.
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 2:47

I've just checked on one of my laptops that runs SL, and I only see cnijfilter-3.70 in Entropy too, so I can understand your confusion:

aspire5536 fitzcarraldo # equo search cnijfilter
>>  @@ Searching...
>>      @@ Package: net-print/cnijfilter-3.70 branch: 5, [sabayonlinux.org]
>>         Available:     version: 3.70 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>         Installed:     version: Not installed ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A
>>         Slot:          0
>>         Homepage:      http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100469302.html
>>         Description:   Canon InkJet Printer Driver for
>>                        Linux (Pixus/Pixma-Series).
>>         License:       GPL-2 cnijfilter
>>  Keywords:  cnijfilter
>>  Found:     1 entry

The cnijfilter-3.80 ebuild and cnijfilter-drivers-3.70 ebuild are Portage ebuilds (an ebuild is basically a script for building a binary package for Gentoo). The SL developers then build Entropy packages by using the ebuilds (amongst other things). So it looks like cnijfilter-3.80 and cnijfilter-drivers-3.70 (and the other versions of cnijfilter-drivers) have not been built and put in the Entropy repository.

OK, let's try and get you going by using Portage instead of Entropy, then. Well, a mixture of Portage and Entropy. Open a Konsole/Terminal window and enter the following commands:

$ su
Password:  <-- Enter the root user's password
# equo remove cnijfilter-3.70
# equo install git
# echo 'ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"' >> /etc/make.conf
# emerge --sync
# layman -S
# layman -d sabayon-distro
# layman -d sabayon
# layman -a sabayon-distro
# layman -a sabayon
# layman -S
# USE="-servicetools mx430" emerge -1v =cnijfilter-3.80::sabayon =cnijfilter-drivers-3.70::sabayon
# equo rescue spmsync
# exit
$

N.B. That is an upper-case 'S' in the layman command above. A lower-case 's' is a different parameter.

EDIT 1: Added the command to remove the Entropy package cnijfilter-3.70 before proceeding to install the packages via Portage, just to be on the safe side.

EDIT 2: Aadded the ACCEPT_LICENSE assignment in /etc/make.conf, and the USE flags to the merge command.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Wed May 08, 2013 2:59

Ok. I followed the instructions in http://localhost:631/ and it was able to find the printer but the printer isn't responding, not even a blink. Should I try again after entering these commands you listed?
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:07

Yes, try the commands I've listed.

By the way, having re-read your earlier post, I have a feeling you may also be confused because of the different version numbers of cnijfilter (3.80) and cnijfilter-drivers (3.70 for your model), and I don't blame you! I should point out that cnijfilter and cnijfilter-drivers are separate packages, so there is no reason why they should have the same version number.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:09

I suggest you uninstall the Entropy package cnijfilter-3.70 first, to be on the safe side:

# equo remove cnijfilter-3.70

EDIT: I'll update my earlier post to include that step.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23

Yes, thankyou, that IS what confused me! :)
I already started, it's running the emerge --sync right now (which is taking forever so I'm making dinner). Would it be safe to remove it before starting the layman commands?
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:25

Yes, no problem.

I'm going to sign off now, so I'll check back in the morning (my time zone) to see how you've got on. Fingers crossed!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Wed May 08, 2013 3:27

Thankyou so much, I really appreciate it!! :D
heathen
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area