Migrating to Sabayon - Difficulties [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Migrating to Sabayon - Difficulties [Solved]

Postby vn1980.ca » Wed May 08, 2013 0:40

Hi
I am VN, Chartered Accountant by Profession.
I am using Linux since 2010.

First for about 1 year, I used 6 Debian Distros and found they are not appealing to me
Then I tried Suse and felt it is a cheating linux and finally settled on Fedora.

Fedora 15 & 16 are really good. However Fedora 17 was little bad and Fedora 18 is the worst.
As I found Red-Hat is bench-marking itself based on Microsoft, I wanted to move towards a proper Linux.

Based on some expert suggestion, I have moved to Sabayon yesterday.
My only problem is, it is having never ending updates.

Initially some 46 updates which took 1 hour, now some 588 updates, I do not know when it would end.
I am not clear when it would complete all these updates and allow me to install my favorite applications
This really tests my patience, yet, as Sabayon is a great product as suggested by close associates who are experts on OS, I am trying to become little more patient. Hope to emerge as a great man with lot of patience than as a good Sabayon user.

The second problem is I am not even able to use Ethernet in my Toshiba Satellite C850 Laptop.
It is completely devoid of all drivers. I do not know how to download and compile them.
I have to take some help in this area.

The third problem is installing applications which are not in the package manager.
I do not know whether to download .deb or .rpm or .tar.bz files
There is nothing in the application developer sites to explain how to install on Sabayon

Could some really tell me despite all these difficulties, how sabayon is a great distribution.

The things which I liked are:
a) Speed of file manager - 291 GB has been moved in just 4 hours.
b) Color & Display

Yours
VN
[email protected]
Last edited by vn1980.ca on Thu May 09, 2013 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
vn1980.ca
Baby Hen

Re: Migrating to Sabayon - Difficulties

Postby dave_64 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:42

I wonder which version of sabayon you installed. I think you installed Sabayon 11, because the newest version which is 13.04 does not require many upgrades (maybe one or two hundred for KDE version). But it doesn't matter much, because when you finish your upgrade you will be caught up with the rest of us.
Not sure what's going on with your Toshiba. Sabayon usually gets ethernet connections "out-of-the-box" without fail. Wireless connections may not be quite so trouble free, but we don't get many questions on that either.
Since you have experience with linux, you know about wine, which is for windows type programs. I suppose you have figured out how to search the package manager for your applications. There is always the possibility to use the gentoo package manager (portage), which may have your target application in an "overlay". As for other applications, which may be called "third party" apps, they are not officially supported, but usually can be installed without difficulty. They are never .deb or .rpm packages. They come as tar files of some sort and need to be "unpacked" after downloading. Then you have to read the README file to get instructions on how to install it.
Sabayon's package manager (called entropy), is in the form .tbz2, and they are comparable to the .deb and .rpm files you are familiar with.
I like sabayon because it has some of the speed and flexibility of gentoo, and is still user friendly. I used RedHat/Fedora, Suse/Opensuse, Mandrake/Mandriva, and several others, before deciding on sabayon...for the last 5 or 6 years.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby dave_64 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:11

Toshiba Satellite C850 Laptop.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... orking/alx

From that website: The alx driver provide support for:

1969:1091 - AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1090 - AR8162 Fast Ethernet
1969:10A1 - QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:10A0 - QCA8172 Fast Ethernet

atl1c provides support for these chipsets:

1969:1063 - AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1062 - AR8132 Fast Ethernet
1969:2062 - AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet
1969:2060 - AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet
1969:1073 - AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1083 - AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet

From a root prompt, type and enter:
lspci
and look for your chipset.

It doesn't look easy, but it can be done. Good luck.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 14:20

vn1980.ca, when you say "Ethernet", are you referring to wired or wireless networking? Do you have the package linux-firmware installed? If not, install it using either the Rigo GUI for the Entropy package manager, or the Equo command line interface for the Entropy package manager. If the latter, open a Konsole/Terminal window, log in as root user (enter the su command, then the root user's password when prompted) and enter the following command:

Code: Select all
equo install linux-drivers

Then you'd need to reboot to see if it has an effect.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby svantoviit » Thu May 09, 2013 1:22

Welcome to Sabayon!

vn1980.ca wrote:My only problem is, it is having never ending updates.

Yes, it's a rolling release distribution.
But if you refer to the download speed – it's wise to sort the mirrors before start with updates, so you'll use the fastest one:
equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly
Replace eventually sabayon-weekly with the name of the repo you are using. If you are not sure which is it
equo status
will tell you.
…all that is covered in the Wiki.

vn1980.ca wrote:The second problem is I am not even able to use Ethernet in my Toshiba Satellite C850 Laptop.

Until you provide more precise information (like the output of lspci, lshw -c network or similar) one could only guess what is wrong.

vn1980.ca wrote:The third problem is installing applications which are not in the package manager.

That is generally not supported. You should always use a package manager may it be Entropy or Portage. Consider that some packages could be named differently in Sabayon/Gentoo than in other distros and some functionality may not be provided as a separate package but as a use flag .
You can search all the packages available for Gentoo here: http://gpo.zugaina.org/. You can find some ebuilds even in Gentoo's Bugzilla.
If you at the end miss a package, the proper way is to request it via Sabayon's Bugzilla.

vn1980.ca wrote:Color & Display

Depends on your DE…
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby vn1980.ca » Thu May 09, 2013 12:35

Dear Dave
Thanks.

I tried first with Sabayon 13-04. The iso was corrupted. May be my Kget did some havoc at that time.
I had two laptops, Fujitsu and Toshibha
I installed Sabayon in both.

Fujitsu is working well with Sabayon
Toshibha I have driver issues

My Problems are Sabayon hangs at times
Remmina is not working well
Virtual Box is not working well

Yours
VN

dave_64 wrote:I wonder which version of sabayon you installed. I think you installed Sabayon 11, because the newest version which is 13.04 does not require many upgrades (maybe one or two hundred for KDE version). But it doesn't matter much, because when you finish your upgrade you will be caught up with the rest of us.
Not sure what's going on with your Toshiba. Sabayon usually gets ethernet connections "out-of-the-box" without fail. Wireless connections may not be quite so trouble free, but we don't get many questions on that either.
Since you have experience with linux, you know about wine, which is for windows type programs. I suppose you have figured out how to search the package manager for your applications. There is always the possibility to use the gentoo package manager (portage), which may have your target application in an "overlay". As for other applications, which may be called "third party" apps, they are not officially supported, but usually can be installed without difficulty. They are never .deb or .rpm packages. They come as tar files of some sort and need to be "unpacked" after downloading. Then you have to read the README file to get instructions on how to install it.
Sabayon's package manager (called entropy), is in the form .tbz2, and they are comparable to the .deb and .rpm files you are familiar with.
I like sabayon because it has some of the speed and flexibility of gentoo, and is still user friendly. I used RedHat/Fedora, Suse/Opensuse, Mandrake/Mandriva, and several others, before deciding on sabayon...for the last 5 or 6 years.
vn1980.ca
Baby Hen

Postby vn1980.ca » Thu May 09, 2013 12:36

Dear Dave
Thanks for the information, let me work as you have suggested and then revert back to you
Yours
VN

dave_64 wrote:Toshiba Satellite C850 Laptop.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... orking/alx

From that website: The alx driver provide support for:

1969:1091 - AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1090 - AR8162 Fast Ethernet
1969:10A1 - QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:10A0 - QCA8172 Fast Ethernet

atl1c provides support for these chipsets:

1969:1063 - AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1062 - AR8132 Fast Ethernet
1969:2062 - AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet
1969:2060 - AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet
1969:1073 - AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet
1969:1083 - AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet

From a root prompt, type and enter:
lspci
and look for your chipset.

It doesn't look easy, but it can be done. Good luck.
vn1980.ca
Baby Hen

Postby vn1980.ca » Thu May 09, 2013 13:19

Dear Svantoviit
Thanks for your detailed point by point response
Really kind of your dedication to answer my post
Yours
VN

svantoviit wrote:Welcome to Sabayon!

vn1980.ca wrote:My only problem is, it is having never ending updates.

Yes, it's a rolling release distribution.
But if you refer to the download speed – it's wise to sort the mirrors before start with updates, so you'll use the fastest one:
equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly
Replace eventually sabayon-weekly with the name of the repo you are using. If you are not sure which is it
equo status
will tell you.
…all that is covered in the Wiki.

vn1980.ca wrote:The second problem is I am not even able to use Ethernet in my Toshiba Satellite C850 Laptop.

Until you provide more precise information (like the output of lspci, lshw -c network or similar) one could only guess what is wrong.

vn1980.ca wrote:The third problem is installing applications which are not in the package manager.

That is generally not supported. You should always use a package manager may it be Entropy or Portage. Consider that some packages could be named differently in Sabayon/Gentoo than in other distros and some functionality may not be provided as a separate package but as a use flag .
You can search all the packages available for Gentoo here: http://gpo.zugaina.org/. You can find some ebuilds even in Gentoo's Bugzilla.
If you at the end miss a package, the proper way is to request it via Sabayon's Bugzilla.

vn1980.ca wrote:Color & Display

Depends on your DE…
vn1980.ca
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area