Unwanted users at login screen

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Unwanted users at login screen

Postby fkef » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55

I did a fresh install of Sabayon KDE 13.04 yesterday.

My problem is that at the login screen there are two autogenerated users that I do not want there.

The usernames are:
* Added by portage xxx (not possible to read the last)
* Added by portage for sabayon-mce

How can I get rid of these?
fkef
Baby Hen

Re: Unwanted users at login screen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15

If I were you I'd just hide the unwanted users from the KDM login screen. To do that, use Kickoff > System Settings > Login Screen, click on the Users tab and tick the users to exclude from the KDM login screen.

I don't use the KDE edition of SL these days, so I'm not sure if the first of the two user accounts you mentioned is important. Anyway, at your own risk it would be possible to delete them by launching KUser from the command line:

Code: Select all
$ kdesu kuser

or by using the standard Linux command to remove user accounts (see Linux: Delete / Remove User Account).

You'll be able to see in the KUser window what the first account is for, and if it looks important then my advice would be to leave well alone. Just exclude them from the KDM login screen as mentioned.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby fkef » Mon May 06, 2013 10:10

I can not find any options to hide users under settings > Login screen. It seems like Sabayon is using lightdm as login manager.

My login settings looks the same as this pics, and under general there is only settings for guest account and automatic login.

http://i.imgur.com/JgDUdZB.png

I would prefer to not delete thoose autogenerated users, in case they are important.
fkef
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 06, 2013 10:42

Oh, in that case you could switch to using KDM. There are a couple of recent posts in these forums about switching to using KDM.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue May 07, 2013 20:57

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Anyway, at your own risk it would be possible to delete them by launching KUser from the command line:

$ kdesu kuser

Since I read some flaws with KUser every now and then, I'd recommend the command line way, as also described in our wiki.
However, I'm not finally sure, that KUser won't run faulty nowadays.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby fkef » Wed May 08, 2013 20:51

Thanks for all the reply

But why are these autogenerated accounts showing up on the login screen on a fresh install? Is it a bug?
fkef
Baby Hen

Postby svantoviit » Thu May 09, 2013 1:35

If you are using lightdm, you can configure it's behaviour in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.
I prefer to set
greeter-hide-users=true
This hides the available users and you have to write the name of the user at login.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 09, 2013 13:08

^That's a good work-around if the OP does not mind having to enter his own username to log in. Slightly more secure even.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area