Installing Samba 4.0.5 without breaking the system...

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Installing Samba 4.0.5 without breaking the system...

Postby RazorJack » Thu May 02, 2013 15:47

I'm new to Sabayon but have experience with Gentoo and alot of experience on ubuntu linux.

I've been trying to port my media center box from Ubuntu to Sabayon 11. The problem is getting my Samba 4.0.5 configuration up and running. On Ubuntu I had 4.0.5 custom compiled (sitting in the /opt/samba4 directory). First, I tried doing that on Sabayon but ran into a problem of having to also custom compile a slew of other libraries such as TDB (as it requires 1.2.11 and only 1.2.10 is in the repo).

Second I though I'd unmask the gentoo 4.0.4 but that massively broke my system. I think it was around the point I typed 'equo remove samba' that it uninstalled gnome, xbmc, sabayon-mce and a ton of other packages I needed. :(

I have everything back to normal however I still want to get my Samba4 + AD + DDNS back up and running.

How do I installed Samba 4.0.5 without breaking everything else?
RazorJack
Baby Hen

Re: Installing Samba 4.0.5 without breaking the system...

Postby RazorJack » Thu May 02, 2013 15:54

Oh ya, almost forgot. I tried this guide:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Samba4_a ... ory_Server

"In order to install Samba, we need to remove app-crypt/mit-krb5 from your system and install app-crypt/heimdal. Before removing mit-krb5 make sure that you can recover from any problems. For example wget can USE kerberos and if it has been removed you wont be able to download Heimdal to replace it. The following packages are incompatible with the heimdal kerberos:"

but was not able to proceed as mit-krb5 is a vital system package.
RazorJack
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Thu May 02, 2013 16:37

I'm not sure if this is pertinent to your situation, and I think you are a lot more knowledgeable about linux than me, but I noticed that you tried to remove a package without doing a dependency check first. That would at least save you a bit of time. The command would be:
equo remove packagename --pretend
As for mixing portage and entropy, there are a few things to keep in mind. You should do a dependency check on your target package first:
emerge targetpackage --pretend
(not sure if that is the right option...you can look it up)
Now here is where it gets tricky. You should install, via entropy, any and all dependencies that are available in entropy repositories. The dependencies that are not available via entropy, you emerge with portage. Then emerge your target package. I haven't used portage in years, so I am not 100% certain about it.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby RazorJack » Thu May 02, 2013 21:16

# emerge --search tdb

* sys-libs/tdb
Latest version available: 1.2.11
Latest version installed: 1.2.10
Size of files: 470 kB
Homepage: http://tdb.samba.org/
Description: A simple database API
License: GPL-3

then did a:
# emerge sys-libs/tdb

.... and now I think I'm half way there.

Went into my samba-4.0.5 directory (extracted from the tarball) and did a:
./configure \
--enable-fhs \
--prefix=/opt/samba4
--disable-rpath \
--disable-rpath-install \
--nopyc \
--nopyo \
--disable-ntdb \
--bundled-libraries=NONE \
--builtin-libraries=NONE \
--with-dnsupdate \
--with-acl-support \
--with-ads

which made it past the > tds 1.2.11 check and currently running a 'make'.

W()()T!
RazorJack
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area