Lost my Hibernation

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Lost my Hibernation

Postby ags40 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 23:19

Somehow I lost my 'Hibernate' option from my 'Leave' menu. Can anybody, please, tell me the way to recover it? Thanks!
Last edited by ags40 on Wed May 08, 2013 0:37, edited 1 time in total.
ags40
Simple Hen

Re: Lost my Hibernation

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri May 03, 2013 22:48

Which desktop environment are you using? Is you PC fully updated/upgraded? Are you using OpenRC or did you switch to systemd? Have you tried re-installing sys-apps/sysvinit?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ags40 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:18

I'm using KDE. PC fully updated and upgraded. I believe I'm using OpenRC. How can I be sure? sysvinit was re-installed as per your suggestion, after it no change, only two options still remained in the "Leave" menu. If I'm not wrong the lack the 'sleep' and 'hibernate' options came after I upgraded from kernel 3.7 to kernel 3.8, but I could be wrong. You answer will appreciated. Thanks.
ags40
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 06, 2013 8:11

You can see whether or not you are using systemd or OpenRC by using the following command in a Konsole window:

Code: Select all
eselect sysvinit list

I don't have access to a machine running SL with KDE, but I don't see the problem on my main laptop running Gentoo with KDE. Nor do I see the problem on my laptops running fully-upgraded SL with Xfce unless I switch to systemd, hence my question (although it might be a red herring in your case).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ags40 » Mon May 06, 2013 20:12

The answer is openRC. The lack the 'sleep' and 'hibernate' options came after I upgraded from kernel 3.7 to kernel 3.8.
I have installed Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, with KDE (long time ago) and at some unknown point I lost the 'hibernate' option.
In Kubuntu I use ' pm-hibernate', but in SL hangs-up. Tks for lending your ear.
ags40
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 07, 2013 21:46

Seems you are not the only one: No suspend or hibernate after kernel upgrade. File a bug report?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ags40 » Wed May 08, 2013 0:36

Done! Bug reported. Thanks
ags40
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 08, 2013 1:29

Well, I know we're keen for you guys to mark threads "[Solved]" but I've removed the "[Solved]" from your first post in this thread, as the problem is not solved yet. So let's keep it open for a while to see what happens. The problem could due to something upstream (i.e. nothing to do with SL itself) and if it's fixed upstream then the fix will automatically get incorporated into the Entropy packages when they are rebuilt on the first occasion after the fix to the source code happens. So keep an eye on things over the next week or so to see if the problem goes away even if the SL bug report you filed does not show it as being fixed. When you do see it working again, please post here just to let us know.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ags40 » Wed May 08, 2013 19:31

I will do all you mentioned. Sorry I rushed the 'solved' thing. Thank you for everything.
ags40
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area