How to instruct Entropy to only install from source

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to instruct Entropy to only install from source

Postby Tetractys » Sun Apr 21, 2013 16:47

Hi!
I want to install Sabayon 11 64bit XFCE. I would like to install the base system as binary (this is the default i think) and instruct Entropy (or Portage?) to install from source (so compile every time) any other application i will install.
Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!
Tetractys
Baby Hen

Re: How to instruct Entropy to only install from source

Postby dave_64 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 17:04

Use portage (the gentoo package manager), and do not use entropy (sabayon's binary package manager). It is possible to mix them, but it must be done very carefully. Most people use entropy for most of their paokage management tasks, and only use portage (compile from source code using ebuilds), for a few applications. If you intend to use entropy at all, you will want to learn how to mix the two package managers safely. If you plan to compile everything from source (portage), just avoid using entropy.
I hope you have a fast processor, or lots of time. I spent the better part of an afternoon compiling OpenOffice from source...that was years ago.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Tetractys » Sun Apr 21, 2013 17:45

Thank you for your prompt answer.
I have:
cpu i7 3770k @3.5GHz (liquid cooled), 16Gb ram, 256Gb SSD disk (used for /), 2x 1Tb raid1 disks (used for /home), Nvidia gtx670
i.e.: on xubuntu with kernel 3.5.0-27 "lowlatency" i can compile wine (in 32bit chrooted environment) in 4min and 44 sec.

Do you think it sufficiently manageable to use portage?
I see on my sabayon 11 test installation on a virtualbox that wine is just installed. where download a sabayon 11 "base" with only the base system and xfce?
ty
Tetractys
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 18:35

Yeah, no problem. You've got some pretty serious hardware there. I was trying to compile from a 433 mhz processor and it was painfully slow, and my 56K dialup connection made it even worse. You won't have any problem, but you will have to learn how to set "Use" flags (and a few other things), if you want to gain real efficiencies and speed over people using sabayon's binary package manager. Even then, it won't be huge, in most cases.
Scroll to the bottom of this page:
https://www.sabayon.org/
for the "spin base" version. I don't know if that's what you want, but that's all I know. Have fun!
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 15:29

To add to what dave_64 said, if you're going that route you'll probably want to do the following:

Install spin base.
Change USE flags for your system (if you aren't going to change your use flags, you aren't going to get any benefit compiling things yourself).
Recompile everything you're running (even the kernel?)
Then start installing stuff.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby colock » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05

you meant CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS
USE flags are per-package (well, or global) supprt-related thingies (i.e. compile some package with support with X and Y but not Z is done with USE flags).

However, the compiler optimization flags are CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, which have to be set in /etc/make.conf.

If you just use portage it will be more a gentoo than a sabayon tough. You also want to seek support in gentoo's forums/chatrooms instead of Sabayon's.
colock
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 16:22

I meant the global use flags in make.conf yes, not a local use flag for an individual package.

But yes, the gentoo handbook is what you will want to be looking at Tetractys. You will find much more documentation and support concerning the use of portage in the gentoo forums than you will find here.

Using portage only via your Sabayon install just means a precompiled gentoo system that is using the Sabayon overlays. Nothing crazy special about that.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area