Kernel questions

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Kernel questions

Postby fkef » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27

I am planning to install Sabayon 11 Gnome Edition and I have a few questions.

Is it possible to upgrade the kernel using Rigo, or must it be done in the terminal?

I tested Sabayon 10 a few month ago, and then there was a warning message in Rigo with some issues about ATI:s drivers and "nomodeset" and kernel updates.

Is this issue still present?
fkef
Baby Hen

Re: Kernel questions

Postby dave_64 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 20:11

I don't know about the "issues" situation. But I'm pretty sure you can install a new kernel from rigo. I know for a fact you can install new kernels from sulfur (entropy store). For me, it's easier to use the command line. And anything you can do from the command line is a bonus if you ever need to do some rescue work. Just start a terminal > gain root access (superuser privileges), and enter this at the prompt:
equo search linux-sabayon
You will get a list of the current stable kernels available. Assuming you want the most recent one, select the kernel package name. Right click and choose copy.
Go back to the prompt and type:
equo install
hit the space bar once, right click, and choose "paste".
The resulting command should look like this:
equo install sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.8.5
When you enter that, the kernel will install.
Normally, that's all there is to it. When you reboot, you will be using the new kernel.
As for the "issues" they usually revolve around older nvidia cards. What card do you have?
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 21:30

Installing a new kernel is easier done by the kernel-switcher which is only available as a command line tool at the moment. It not only installs the kernel, but also matching modules/drivers you will want installed.

The nomodeset message concerned ATI cards and KMS.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Kernel_Mode_Setting

If the LiveDVD boots and you get a graphical display, then I would think you wouldn't need to do anything special to install it and having it working nicely.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 23:34

Stupot wrote:Installing a new kernel is easier done by the kernel-switcher which is only available as a command line tool at the moment. It not only installs the kernel, but also matching modules/drivers you will want installed.

+1
Kernel Switcher is the recommended way.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby dave_64 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 23:59

I see that Ryuno-Ki has also given his endorsement of kernel-switcher. Since I have already completed this post, I will submit it anyway, if for no other reason than as an educational exercise.

Yes, my method is incomplete. I just upgraded my kernel and found that it requires an upgrade of nvidia-drivers to be successful. Without that, you will get a black screen at next boot. For me, it's not hard to do, but it may be daunting for new users. Since I know nothing about kernel-switcher, I can't tell you how it works. For those that want to know how to finish the procedure I gave in my previous posting, I will describe it briefly. I am assuming you are using an nvidia card (and not one of the older ones).
After installing the kernel, check to see if the kernel was set:
eselect kernel list
You should see an asterisk beside the new kernel. If not, you need to set it. For example, if the new kernel is the second one in the list:
eselect kernel set 2
Now check the list again to see if it is set.
eselect kernel list
Okay, now for the driver installation.
At the prompt:
equo search nvidia-drivers
Locate the driver that has the new kernel version after the hash mark. In my case, it looks like thisL
>> @@ Package: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18#3.8.0-sabayon branch: 5, [sabayon-weekly]
Thats the newest driver with the all important 3.8.0 hash tag.
Select the package, right click and choose copy.
From the prompt:
equo install
Hit the space bar once, right click and choose paste. The result should look like this:
equo install x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18#3.8.0-sabayon
This assumes you installed the latest kernel.
When it's done installing, you can safely reboot to a new kernel and a graphical interface. If you get a black screen, you can login as root and perform all these tasks from the console. But, as Stupot suggests, kernel-switcher is an easier way to do all this. I must learn it someday.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby manifesto » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31

BTW there is a page on manual kernel upgrade with entropy :
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... ng_Entropy
manifesto
Growing Hen

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 17:32

Hi, if you have an ATI card, yes, the nomodeset issue (among a few others) is still there. Assuming it's an ATI HD5xxx or newer, my directions seem to work for just about everyone. Hope this helps:

https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28808

I'm fairly certain (but never tried, I'm a bit old, and old school, I prefer the command line) you can fetch (add --fetch to the equo install command, it will download whichever version you specify, but use the "=" in front of the package name like so:

Code: Select all
 equo install --fetch =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18#3.8.0-sabayon

Or to simply install before reboot, after installing the latest 3.8.x kernel...

Code: Select all
 equo install =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-313.18#3.8.0-sabayon

Good luck!!
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Postby ags40 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 20:01

To dave_64:
Just finished using your instructions on Kernel update and everything worked sweet and dandy. Thanks! :D :D
ags40
Simple Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 22:25

I'm impressed! In my example, I used the latest video driver, but you have a 6150 video card, so that example would not have worked for you. I guess you had the presence of mind to make a modification to the procedure and installed the 304 driver with the 3.8.0 hash tag? In that case, you are a very good student! Congrats!
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby ags40 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 23:48

Thank you for the credit. But it's not deserved. Some weeks ago I switched to a GeForce GT 610/PCIe/SSE2 so the 313.18 works like a charm with the 3.8.0.
Last edited by ags40 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22, edited 1 time in total.
ags40
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area