32-bit app fails with libstdc++.so.6 not found [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

32-bit app fails with libstdc++.so.6 not found [Solved]

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 17:50

I am trying to install a 32-bit application that I've run in OpenSuse. I'm test-driving Sabayon to evaluate the performance (I really like Gentoo). The application needs libstdc++.so.5 and libstdc++.so.6 and I don't know what I need to do to get the application to see the files.

During the install process the application says
required file /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 cannot be found

When I type:

Code: Select all
ldconfig -p | grep libstdc

I get:

libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.2/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.7/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.2/32/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/32/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.7/32/libstdc++.so.6
   libstdc++.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.5
   libstdc++.so.5 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5
   libstdc++.so.2.9 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.9
   libstdc++.so.2.8 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.8
   libstdc++.so.2.7.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.7.2
   libstdc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.2/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.7/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.2/32/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/32/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.7/32/libstdc++.so
   libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
   libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

I know that the application is looking in a directory that's not there and I am guessing that I need to create a symlink that points to the right directory? If I do is it going to break when I update my system in the future? Please help!

Thanks!
Last edited by RexAtHighSpeed on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51, edited 1 time in total.
RexAtHighSpeed
Baby Hen

Re: 32-bit app fails with libstdc++.so.6 not found

Postby dave_64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 19:21

What application is it?
What command did you issue to install it? Or did you use rigo? portage?
Have you done a system upgrade since you installed sabayon?
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 21:10

It is an engineering application that was installed from the vendor's DVD. It runs in Windows and Linux. The vendor officially supports only Redhat Enterptrise and Suse Enterprise. I've run it on SUSE and I wanted to try see if I could install it in Sabayon to see if there is a difference in performance (and to learn a little more about Linux).

I installed Sabayon 11 MATE x64 (trying to use minimal resources) and did all the updates in the software package manager in systray. In order to install the software, I copied the install disk from the dvd to a temp directory (/home/user/temp). Then I did...

chmod -R 755

Then installed using their instructions...

./cdinstall.sh

The software throws up the warning in my first post. I created a symlink that got rid of the error and finished the installation but like I said, I'm not sure if it will break when I update my system.

Now I have a problem with the license server software lmgrd but I'll get to that after I get this first issue resolved.

Thanks for the help!
RexAtHighSpeed
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 21:45

It shouldn't end up breaking when you update your system, but you also will want to make sure you are linking against the same libstdc++ that corresponds with the version of gcc you are using. If you switch versions of gcc (which is only does for a major update for RHEL), you will need to update the symlink.

Normally, these sorts of things are handled automatically by the package management system when upgrading versions of gcc, but I would be very surprised if that was the case for this manually installed package.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 22:09

Thanks Stupot, I did make sure I was pointing to the right file and I will pay attention to your advice.

Regarding the lmgrd problem. This software uses flexlm as license protection and lmgrd is the license executable that is used to serve the license on port specified in the license file. When I issue the lmgrd command in terminal I get a "file not found" error. If I list the directory contents the file is certainly there. I've had this issue in Suse and it was solved by installing lsb-core but I after doing much research, I've found that Gentoo (and therefore Sabayon, right?) is not "lsb compliant". I found a website that claims that you can solve the problem by creating a symlink like so...

ln -s /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /lib64/ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3

I did it and it did not solve the problem. I've searched high and low and have found no solution. Apparently, either not many Gentoo users are using flexlm or they don't experience the problem I am having. Could it have anything to do with MATE?

Thanks again
RexAtHighSpeed
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Apr 17, 2013 23:04

No, that wouldn't have anything to do with using MATE or any other DE.

I think with some googling, you can probably find the work around for your issue.

Check out this thread for starting: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-42 ... art-0.html
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Wed Apr 17, 2013 23:35

I have already read that post. lmgrd is working properly for him - it just cannot find his hostname. I did google until I cant google any more - that's why I posted here, because I could not find a solution.

I'll hit google up again and post my findings...

Thanks
RexAtHighSpeed
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu Apr 18, 2013 15:54

What about this one:

I have to use Flexlm for some NMR software and I agree, that program sucks. You have to edit /etc/conf.d/flexlm and fill in appropriate values. The default user "flexlm" doesn't seem to have write access to /var/log/flexlm.log, so I changed it to /tmp/flexlm.log. Also, edit /etc/passwd to change flexlm's homedir to /opt/flexlm. Beyond that, you just put your license.dat file in /etc/flexlm and then `/etc/init.d/flexlm start`. In my case I also had to copy the contents of the "Bruker" (the NMR manufacturer) directory that came with the NMR software into /opt/flexlm to get it to launch a special "brucker_lm" manager, but I'm not sure if that is Bruker specific or not.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby RexAtHighSpeed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50

I found the problem! I did what these guys did...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-873551-start-0.html

I fired up the working version on my Suse machine and did an:

ldd lmgrd

This showed me which files it was looking for and I added a symlink pointing to the right file. There were several sites that suggested adding a symlink but the file my lmgrd needed was not the same as all the other sites I'd run across.

Thank you for all the help!
RexAtHighSpeed
Baby Hen

Re: 32-bit app fails with libstdc++.so.6 not found [Solved]

Postby Stupot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 15:24

I hardly helped at all! Glad you found a solution. :)
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area