Sabayon keeps rebooting from harddisk but not from DVD!

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon keeps rebooting from harddisk but not from DVD!

Postby samig59 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34

Hi all,

I'm experiencing this strange behavior which drives me crazy! Sabayon 11 amd64 runs great (is also beautiful!) from the Live DVD but once installed it keeps rebooting (sometimes even just freezing) exactly at the moment when you expect kdm to show the login dialogbox. Admitted, this is an old machine, a HP xw4400 Workstation with Intel Core2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz, 2GB memory and Quadro NVS 285, but Windows 7 (which is installed in a dualboot with Sabayon) keeps running smoothly, and, as I said, Sabayon keeps running smoothly from the Live CD.

I have tried to startx /usr/bin/kdm by first dropping to the command line but it does not start as root (I'm getting xauth errors about serverauth and Xauthority). If I try the same command as sudo-er, then I do get into X, however not kde, and the system freezes so that I have to hard reboot.

Can you please instruct me what I should look for?

Thank you in advance,

/Samig
samig59
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon keeps rebooting from harddisk but not from DVD!

Postby dave_64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 17:43

This does not look like a typical video driver problem, but close enough to make me think it could be. If you get a black (or blue) screen at the end of bootup, you can get to a login prompt with key combo of ctrl + alt + f1. Then login as root. Then install the 304 video driver with this command:
equo install nvidia-drivers-304.64#$(uname -r) --ask
Then reboot and see if that gets you a kde desktop.
Or, you could wait for someone who knows more about it to help you.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby samig59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 15:20

Dear Dave,

thank you for the instructions. Unfortunately I cannot try the proposed solution. The reason is that this machine is on wifi (at work) and in order to connect to the net I need a browser in order to go through certain connection steps and verifications of my identity. Thus, I cannot download from this machine. Is it possible to download on another machine, not running sabayon, and then move the package to the sabayon machine? If yes, how should I proceed?

Thank you,

/Samig
samig59
Baby Hen

Postby samig59 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 15:52

Hi again,

I have just discovered messages concerning mtrr, like : "mtrr: no MTRR for e00...,8000 found". Can this be the problem of the kde crashing/rebooting? ... and why does this not happen when running the live DVD?

/Sakis
samig59
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 21:41

As near as I can tell, you need the 304 driver for that video card. If sabayon is stable from the livedvd, it should be stable after installation. But it would not survive an upgrade. You would have to mask the newer drivers, as they will probably not work (= black screen on reboot). Did you do any updates or upgrades after installing sabayon 11?
I really don't have a good answer for you, short of getting a hard wire connection and running the procedure I gave you in my first response. I would probably install version 10 and see if that remains stable after installation. Then you can deal with the driver issue BEFORE doing an update/upgrade cycle.
How much space did you give your sabayon to install to? How did you partition, or did you just go with the default installation (uses LVM partitioning)?
I don't know what the "mtrr" errors are about, or if they point to a specific problem.
You might want to wait for a more knowledgeable response.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area