How do I fix my notification area?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How do I fix my notification area?

Postby Southern Gorilla » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04

I have searched the net and this forum and I can't find anything to tell me how to fix what I screwed up. I just installed Sabayon from a live DVD I bought from OSDisc.com. I got the Xfce version since my laptop is pathetically underpowered. I did all the updates as recommended on the wiki, some 226 out of date files if I remember correctly. If more background is needed I will try to provide it.

My problem is my system tray/notification area. I was modifying panels to get the desktop the way I wanted it. I couldn't add a new notification area to the bottom panel like I wanted. I figured only one notification area was allowed at a time. So I deleted the notification area from the default panel on the side. I then added the notification area to the bottom panel. I thought I would be able to just select applications to populate this area the same way I can select programs to populate a launcher. But the known applications list is completely empty. How do I add applications to the list? I had most of the expected notification icons before I deleted the original notification area. So I know the applications are there. I just don't know how to reactivate the notifications. I'm assuming there's a config file I have to edit.
Southern Gorilla
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area