Problem with the updates notification application (Rigo?)

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with the updates notification application (Rigo?)

Postby verduler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 22:18

I'm running Sabayon linux 11 on my laptop with the Gnome desktop. Almost everything works perfect except the updates notifications. After the user login I always get the message: "your system is up to date", but it's not true! :) If I open Rigo >> update repositories then I get the message "you have xxx updates". Anyone can help me? it's not super important but it would be great to get it working :)

Thank you.
verduler
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with the updates notification application (Rigo?

Postby lxnay » Tue Mar 19, 2013 22:35

You update the repositories... you get more available updates.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Mar 20, 2013 0:29

That's because the service looking for update (called "magneto") needs some time to do his job. Hence you need to wait a little to get notified.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby dave_64 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44

I'm not sure if this is applicable in your case, but I have noticed that if I install sabayon on two computers behind a router, I may have to do a manual update when switching from one to the other...the auto update notifier shows "no updates available", until I do a manual update. I can only guess why this is true, but, I suspect that it involves some kind of verification, authentication, or certification between entropy and each separate computer. My solution is to do a manual update when switching between computers. It might require the --force option, but I haven't checked on that. In any case, it never hurts to do a manual update when in doubt.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby verduler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 23:50

lxnay wrote:You update the repositories... you get more available updates.

I don't know how it works, but isn't it necessary for the service to update repositories to get the available updates?

Ryuno-Ki wrote:That's because the service looking for update (called "magneto") needs some time to do his job. Hence you need to wait a little to get notified.

How many time do I need to wait? I've been waiting for 3 weeks, is it normal?

dave_64 wrote:I'm not sure if this is applicable in your case, but I have noticed that if I install sabayon on two computers behind a router, I may have to do a manual update when switching from one to the other...the auto update notifier shows "no updates available", until I do a manual update. I can only guess why this is true, but, I suspect that it involves some kind of verification, authentication, or certification between entropy and each separate computer. My solution is to do a manual update when switching between computers. It might require the --force option, but I haven't checked on that. In any case, it never hurts to do a manual update when in doubt.

This is not my case (I supose :)), I have just one computer behind a router. Actually my solution it's like yours, doing a manual update every two weeks aprox.

Thank you very much to everybody!!!
verduler
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu Mar 21, 2013 13:12

verduler wrote:
Ryuno-Ki wrote:That's because the service looking for update (called "magneto") needs some time to do his job. Hence you need to wait a little to get notified.

How many time do I need to wait? I've been waiting for 3 weeks, is it normal?

No, usually just a few minutes like mentioned here (found on the forums):
Shortly after logging in an icon in the system tray changed from green to red and moving the mouse over this icon revealed it indicates whether software updates are available. Clicking on this icon we can launch Sabayon's new graphical front end to package management.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby verduler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 13:53

Ryuno-Ki wrote:No, usually just a few minutes like mentioned here (found on the forums):

Then there is something wrong with my system, maybe a bug. For now I will update my system manually.
Do you think that I should open a bug?

Thank you.
verduler
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu Mar 21, 2013 14:03

No, unless you have logs showing the actual problem.
Filing bugs without logs or without a way to solidly reproduce a problem = closing as INVALID at light speed, wasting developer time.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area