Rigo questions

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Rigo questions

Postby eldiener » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:30

After installing I managed to update my system with 'equo' and nor "rigo' now looks normal, but I do not understand how to do a number of things under 'rigo':

1) How do I tell whether an application listed in an application group is installed ? uninstalled ?
2) How do I narrow down the applications shown in an application group into sub-categories ? Do any sub-categories exist ?
3) How do I search for an application in an application group ?
4) How do I sort the applications in an application group other than by name ?
5) How do I show applications which can be upgraded and how do i pick which applications I want to upgrade ?

Thanks !
eldiener
Baby Hen

Re: Rigo questions

Postby Stupot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 15:45

To be frank, that's now how rigo works or how rigo was intended to work.

Firstly, rigo will notify you when you have updates for packages and give you a button to click to update them. You won't miss it, I promise you. It pops up at the top of window.

Secondly, rigo isn't presented in a way to sort applications by sub-categories. As it turns out, the way most people used package managers would be to do something like the following[no citation will be provided]:
1) Do a google search to find out the name of the application you want to install.
2) Type that name into the package manager and install.

Rigo cuts out step 1. Search for the package name, or search for some generic term and a list of applications that apply will pop up. From there you can dive deeper into the packages presented or refine your search terms. Yes, it is fundamentally different from the way most other package managers display available packages. But when it boils down to it, most people don't really have a reason to sort things by sub-category other than "I like it", which really means "I'm used to it".

*Note: this post is written purely based on my opinion and is not the official stance or reasoning behind why lxnay wrote it as he did.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Mar 14, 2013 16:29

you can type on "rigo search bar" a keywords that can help you find out the app.

example : if you search a games but you don't know the axactly name ,type "game"

all results will be filter with "game" keyword or more

then you can browse them.

other example : you want list all packages that provides "java" and "xml" (packagename or description)

type: "java xml"

other : for "arena" keyword will provide all "quake" games and other.

client web ? (how many ?) : type "browser web"
enjoy

:mrgreen:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby eldiener » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:31

Stupot wrote:To be frank, that's now how rigo works or how rigo was intended to work.

Firstly, rigo will notify you when you have updates for packages and give you a button to click to update them. You won't miss it, I promise you. It pops up at the top of window.

Secondly, rigo isn't presented in a way to sort applications by sub-categories. As it turns out, the way most people used package managers would be to do something like the following[no citation will be provided]:
1) Do a google search to find out the name of the application you want to install.
2) Type that name into the package manager and install.

Rigo cuts out step 1. Search for the package name, or search for some generic term and a list of applications that apply will pop up. From there you can dive deeper into the packages presented or refine your search terms. Yes, it is fundamentally different from the way most other package managers display available packages. But when it boils down to it, most people don't really have a reason to sort things by sub-category other than "I like it", which really means "I'm used to it".

*Note: this post is written purely based on my opinion and is not the official stance or reasoning behind why lxnay wrote it as he did.

What is how Rigo works or was intended to work ?

It seems to be insufficent in basic features for finding, upgrading, adding, or deleting software packages in a reasonably easy way. I do see where I can find a specific package but it does not seem to handle package categories very easily. Everything is sort of a game: type in some "text" in the search bar and it returns some sort of "match". But it does not show you the state of a package, such as even an icon to tell you if a package is installed, uninstalled, upgradeable etc. It also gives no information about a package such as what it is, what it does, what dependencies it has, what and where its files are and are installed. And if I choose to delete a package it gives no information about what other dependent packages must also be deleted, what needs to be upgraded, or anything at all.

I do not think Rigo is ready as a package manager. Just my thought, but Sabayon really needs to do better in this area. If there were an alternative I would use it but I see that the previous GUI package manager ( sulfur ) is no longer supported and an end-user is discouraged from using it. I suppose I must learn 'equo' commands instead, but I hate command-line package management.
eldiener
Baby Hen

Postby eldiener » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32

sabayonino wrote:you can type on "rigo search bar" a keywords that can help you find out the app.

example : if you search a games but you don't know the axactly name ,type "game"

all results will be filter with "game" keyword or more

then you can browse them.

other example : you want list all packages that provides "java" and "xml" (packagename or description)

type: "java xml"

other : for "arena" keyword will provide all "quake" games and other.

client web ? (how many ?) : type "browser web"
enjoy

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the suggestion. Otherwise, I do not think much of Rigo.
eldiener
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17

eldiener wrote:But it does not show you the state of a package, such as even an icon to tell you if a package is installed, uninstalled, upgradeable etc. It also gives no information about a package such as what it is, what it does, what dependencies it has, what and where its files are and are installed.

When a package shows up, click on it, then click on the "More Info" button. That tells you all of that information. Maybe that's not extremely intuitive and perhaps there should be more easily seen identifiers without needing to click twice, but that information is there.

Also, have you tried clicking the button to the left of the search bar? Doing so gives the options to see the following things:

Application Groups!
Show Installed Applications!
...and more.

I don't use Rigo ever because I prefer the command line, but it really just seems that you haven't played around with rigo very much.

Also, I apologize for sounding so harsh. Lots of people love to come on these forums and complain that rigo doesn't do this and doesn't do that and they don't like it. They talk about how sulfur was great, even though it was slow as hell.

Please, just try playing around with rigo more. I think you'll be surprised at everything it has hidden within it.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby eldiener » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42

Stupot wrote:
eldiener wrote:But it does not show you the state of a package, such as even an icon to tell you if a package is installed, uninstalled, upgradeable etc. It also gives no information about a package such as what it is, what it does, what dependencies it has, what and where its files are and are installed.

When a package shows up, click on it, then click on the "More Info" button. That tells you all of that information. Maybe that's not extremely intuitive and perhaps there should be more easily seen identifiers without needing to click twice, but that information is there.

Also, have you tried clicking the button to the left of the search bar? Doing so gives the options to see the following things:

Application Groups!
Show Installed Applications!
...and more.

I don't use Rigo ever because I prefer the command line, but it really just seems that you haven't played around with rigo very much.

Also, I apologize for sounding so harsh. Lots of people love to come on these forums and complain that rigo doesn't do this and doesn't do that and they don't like it. They talk about how sulfur was great, even though it was slow as hell.

Please, just try playing around with rigo more. I think you'll be surprised at everything it has hidden within it.

I can see the "Application Groups" and "Show Installed Applications" but there is no way of sorting/filtering anything once I get a long list sorted by name. Nor is anything else about the packages in the list readily apparent. I am sorry but this seems like a ridiculously primitive visual interface. Why go backward from all the great GUI of most OS applications into the dumbed down visuals of the usual web page presentation. I see no reason for this.
eldiener
Baby Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43

Rigo is still under very active development so any shortcomings are inevitable but you should be addressing this in the Entropy|Equo|Sulfur Package Managers section of the forum really. If you want further package information use: https://packages.sabayon.org/
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37

eldiener wrote:It seems to be insufficent in basic features for finding, upgrading, adding, or deleting software packages in a reasonably easy way. I do see where I can find a specific package but it does not seem to handle package categories very easily. Everything is sort of a game: type in some "text" in the search bar and it returns some sort of "match". But it does not show you the state of a package, such as even an icon to tell you if a package is installed, uninstalled, upgradeable etc. It also gives no information about a package such as what it is, what it does, what dependencies it has, what and where its files are and are installed. And if I choose to delete a package it gives no information about what other dependent packages must also be deleted, what needs to be upgraded, or anything at all.

:idea: That sounds fantastic. Just fill a bug report for Rigo with Severity "enhancement" and see, how Fabio (lxnay) thinks about it :!:
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 16:01

eldiener wrote:I can see the "Application Groups" and "Show Installed Applications" but there is no way of sorting/filtering anything once I get a long list sorted by name. Nor is anything else about the packages in the list readily apparent. I am sorry but this seems like a ridiculously primitive visual interface. Why go backward from all the great GUI of most OS applications into the dumbed down visuals of the usual web page presentation. I see no reason for this.

I'm not at my Sabayon box at the moment, but I'm pretty sure clicking "Show Installed Applications" just adds a specific search term to the top bar. Application Groups just adds a bunch of search terms to the bar.

Maybe I've misunderstood how exactly the search bar works. If it can only add more packages to the list, that would problematic. I assumed that you can make it an AND search instead of an OR search to filter things down.

E.G. you have the following three packages
foo - installed
bar - installed
foobar - not installed

Searching for "in:installed" yeilds
foo
bar

Searching for "foo" yeilds
foo
foobar

Searching for "foo OR in:installed" yeilds
foo
bar
foobar

Searching for "foo AND in:installed" yeilds
foo

If that functionality doesn't exist, then I apologize because that was my understanding. I would bet that if suggested, lxnay would implement as it fits in nicely with the current rigo scheme and should be a fairly contained code change. It would give you the ability to start filtering from any point.

That said, I don't really know how rigo organizes searches. It might be possible that if the algorithm for organizing searches was improved, than what I just suggested would be unnecessary. For instance, adding keywords to a google search doesn't necessarily change the entire list of possibilities, rather it shuffles the order, hopefully putting more relevant things at the top. I would be pretty damn impressed if the rigo search algorithm really worked that well though.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area