Running Rigo after install

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Running Rigo after install

Postby eldiener » Sun Mar 10, 2013 15:09

I am new to Sabayon.

I installed Sabayon 11 for KDE without any problems and was able to boot into it without any problems. I was looking for some initial help screen but did not find it. I saw something called Rigo on the desktop and started it.

It appeared to be a package manager but it was an awful mess. Seach lines were duplicated overwriting program categories, There were no menu items. Boxes would appear overwriting other areas of the screen whenever I clicked on anything. This is a very badly created application, a real horror and an end-users nightmare. Please forgive my criticism.

Is Rigo fixable ? Is there any GUI package in Sabayon which allows me to update, add, and delete packages ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
eldiener
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 14:28

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby dave_64 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 15:19

I don't know if rigo is "fixable", and I've only used it once. If I want to use a graphical package manager, I would probably use Sulfur, which is what you get when you click the "Entropy Store" icon. I only use graphical package manager when I'm "browsing" for an application and have no idea what name it has. And, I sometimes use it to install new kernels.
The command line is not really very difficult and knowing how to use the command line package manager can "save your bacon" if you run into graphics problems.
dave_64
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 20:33

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby Provia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 17:53

Hi eldiener!
The problem you reported is due to an old oxygen-gtk(gkt3) version. The font is not correctly rendered. So you have only to update your system to get this fixed.

To update from console give
Code: Select all
sudo equo update

Code: Select all
sudo equo upgrade

Code: Select all
sudo equo conf update


I hope this will help you to love rigo in the future :D
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 23:15
Location: Italy

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby eldiener » Sun Mar 10, 2013 18:19

Provia wrote:Hi eldiener!
The problem you reported is due to an old oxygen-gtk(gkt3) version. The font is not correctly rendered. So you have only to update your system to get this fixed.

To update from console give
Code: Select all
sudo equo update

Code: Select all
sudo equo upgrade

Code: Select all
sudo equo conf update


I hope this will help you to love rigo in the future :D


So I install Sabayon 11 and then I have to update my entire system from the command line in order to use a GUI application whose responsibility, among others, is to update my entire system.

Somehow there is something wrong with this.

Can I just update what I need to get Rigo running properly ? How do I update the individual package(s) I need to get Rigo running properly using 'equo' ? How do I eventually update only a single package in Rigo ?

Thanks !
eldiener
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 14:28

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 18:28

It's a rolling release distro you probably need to familiarise yourself with the wiki : http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... t_to_do.3F

from: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 18:14

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby Provia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 18:40

Butch Cassidy wrote:It's a rolling release distro you probably need to familiarise yourself with the wiki : http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... t_to_do.3F

from: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy


As Butch Cassidy says this is a rolling release if you don't want to update your system often you have choose the wrong distro.
The update for oxygen-gtk package was released after SL 11, so it was ipossible to include it in live DVD.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 23:15
Location: Italy

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby eldiener » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15

After the new install, following the instructions at http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... t_to_do.3F , after successfully running:

equo update

I tried:

equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly

only to receive the message: "[sabayon-weekly] repository not available"

What do I do now ?

I am trying to be patient with the necessity of following the guidelines for getting Entropy setup properly after installation. I have done nothing in Sabayon but install Sabayon 11 successfully, login successfully, and try run the necessary commands to setup Entropy so I can use the package system on Sabayon.
eldiener
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 14:28

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby dave_64 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09

Okay, you ran equo update so you could use rigo, or sulfur if you like graphical package management. If you want to stay at the command prompt (recommended, by me), you have the package manager setup and ready to use. You probably should upgrade before installing other programs. A bullet proof system upgrade would consist of 3 commands at the root prompt:
equo update
equo upgrade
equo conf update

You've already done the first one, and you may not need the last one, but, when in doubt, just run those 3 and you can't miss.
You can install or search for programs at the command prompt, or you can switch to one of the graphical package managers if it's easier for you.
dave_64
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 20:33

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby eldiener » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35

dave_64 wrote:Okay, you ran equo update so you could use rigo, or sulfur if you like graphical package management. If you want to stay at the command prompt (recommended, by me), you have the package manager setup and ready to use. You probably should upgrade before installing other programs. A bullet proof system upgrade would consist of 3 commands at the root prompt:
equo update
equo upgrade
equo conf update

You've already done the first one, and you may not need the last one, but, when in doubt, just run those 3 and you can't miss.
You can install or search for programs at the command prompt, or you can switch to one of the graphical package managers if it's easier for you.


Any idea why the command "equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly" as specified in the Wiki article fails ?
eldiener
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 14:28

Re: Running Rigo after install

Postby dave_64 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50

No idea. I don't think I've ever used that command. I rarely use anything but the command line for package management, and I've been using only linux for over 10 years, all but the first few years with Sabayon.
Some of those wiki articles may need to be updated or revised. Some are no longer entirely relevent, if I remember correctly.
dave_64
Advanced Hen
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 20:33

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest