Initial Thoughts of Sabayon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Initial Thoughts of Sabayon

Postby marcuf95 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 22:49

I have just installed Sabayon 11 for the first time in three different virtual machines. I have been evaluating different distros to install on my main machine as the soon to be ex is getting the iMac and I can't afford another one anytime soon. After trying Ubuntu (yuck) Mint (ehhh, a little better), OpenSuse (nice distro) PCBSD(not cutting edge enough) and many more, I have decided to try Sabayon. I really like it, I like the rolling release idea, the stability and many other things. The wiki has a lot of good info, there are a lot of answers in the forums and I have had few problems so far. I like the KDE version a lot. Gnome feels unfinished and buggy and the XFCE is as light and simple as any other XFCE distro I have tried. The only minus I see so far, is that I have had to manually create and add the weekly repository to each version 11 install as it was not set by default as I thought I had read somewhere. As i prefer stability overall, I've decided to set all to the weekly and let it roll.
Good job everyone involved with Sabayon. I think this distro is well done and should get more press. Now, I just have to decide on the desktop environment and then get back to work.
marcuf95
Baby Hen

Re: Initial Thoughts of Sabayon

Postby Matte88 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 0:08

KDE for life bro! 8)
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Re: Initial Thoughts of Sabayon

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Mar 11, 2013 14:56

marcuf95 wrote:The only minus I see so far, is that I have had to manually create and add the weekly repository to each version 11 install as it was not set by default as I thought I had read somewhere. As i prefer stability overall, I've decided to set all to the weekly and let it roll.

Hm, there were a bug #4011 soon after Sabayon XI's release. It was fixed by now. So when did you downloaded the ISOs? You may want to change the status later to tell the developers that the problem still occurs.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area