Very green and a bit confused [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Very green and a bit confused [Solved]

Postby heathen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 21:52

I've been using Ubuntu for over a couple years now and someone suggested Sabayon so I thought I'd try it out. I should explain that I'm very NOT kernal saavy. When I have an issue with Ubuntu I tend to do some research to try to get a better grip on what my problem is, then go to the forum and ask questions until someone posts a command that i can copy and paste that fixes the issue. What I really need is a class as I don't learn as well from just reading the "for dummies" stuff. :P
So what I'm trying to do is try Sabayon from the USB for awhile before I decide what to do. All I've got right now is an Aspire One (N2600), so it was suggested that I download the x86 MATE version... so that's what I did. It's installed on the usb, and when I try to boot with it I get something along the lines of "undefined video mode number: 137".. and the choice to pick another one from a list or skip it. After Sabayon loads I get either a blank screen with a flashing curser in the top left, or if I hit F2 for verbose mode then I get a command prompt: root #.
At this point I'm lost. I'm pretty sure it has something to do the video thing and I'm supposed to install a driver package or something, but I don't know what and wonder if it will matter being as I'm not installing onto the hard drive. Will any packages installed stick on the usb? Being as terrible as I am in kernal I'm wondering if I'll be able to try Sabayon without needing a hand to hold.... :roll:

btw - some of the Resource links don't seem to be working anymore.
Last edited by heathen on Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...
heathen
Growing Hen

Re: Very green and a bit confused

Postby micia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 23:32

Hi, welcome to the Sabayon Linux forums. :mrgreen:

I think your suspect is correct, most likely you have a problematic video card, could it be you got a Poulsbo video card (GMA500 and similar ones)?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 0:06

I'm not really sure, I'll see what i can find out....
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby heathen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 0:17

Code: Select all
 lspci -v -s `lspci | awk '/VGA/{print $1}'`
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 061f
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7
   Memory at 46000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
   I/O ports at 50d0 [size=8]
   Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
   Capabilities: <access denied>
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby micia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40

That is, unfortunately, a GMA500, probably one of the worst graphics card for Linux to deal with :)
I came across one of them some time ago, that's how I dealt with them:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26735#p154419

By the way, that processor should probably be capable of handling a 64 bit OS (not 100% sure, but usually that video card is shipped with AMD64 based Atoms).
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:00

wonderful... :P
I tried what you did in that link and it said the "directory?" exist. (i went out and worked on my truck then came back in and forgot what exactly it said... haha!) It seems I have bad juju with bad graphics cards. My old second hand hp desktop at home has some stupid 700 series video card that I found out is a lemon as well.

I've heard that about this processor before but figured I'd play it safe. I've also been thinking of looking for a cheap rebuilt laptop that I can mess with but I was really hoping to be able to play with Sabayon on the usb for awhile anyway. My thought is if I like it I can get a better machine and just put the KDE version on it.

ie... I wanna keep this simple. :)
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby micia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 14:27

None of those commands should be able to produce that error, are you running them as root?
Which command has produced that error?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby heathen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:21

Pretty sure. The command line looks like this: localhost root #
Just tried again and the response I get is: cannot remove /etc/x11/xorg.conf file or directory does not exist. Am I not typing out the command right?

Never mind!! I looked harder and hadn't noticed before that the x was supposed to be an X.. LOL!! It worked! 8)
heathen
Growing Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Mar 09, 2013 20:19

heathen wrote:Pretty sure. The command line looks like this: localhost root #
Just tried again and the response I get is: cannot remove /etc/x11/xorg.conf file or directory does not exist. Am I not typing out the command right?

Never mind!! I looked harder and hadn't noticed before that the x was supposed to be an X.. LOL!! It worked! 8)

the dir is /etc/X11 X...uppercase
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Mar 11, 2013 15:03

sabayonino wrote:the dir is /etc/X11 X...uppercase

There was someone, who read the 11 as ll (lowercase L) instead of 11 (eleven) … so maybe we should clarify this better in the future …
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area