How to update packages, esp. ClamAV? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How to update packages, esp. ClamAV? [Solved]

Postby Tarmac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 13:15

Greetings

I am a complete newbie to Linux and have found myself with the latest Sabayon (recommended by someone as a good distro to learn on) as my first distro to try learn the ways of the Linux world.

Appreciate that this newbie forum section is in the context of being new to the distro rather than being new to the operating system and thus some assumptions are made like people know what the bewildering command line hiroglyphics / syntax mean etc.

I can see that in order to install various things on the OS, you use "Rigo" package manager. I've installed Firefox and ClamAV as early examples. Both of these report that updates are available but I have the latest installed from Rigo.

I did let Rigo do all it's updates that it asked first so I believe it is fully updated in as much as it wants to be. Is it simply a fact of life that these package managers are not actually fully up to date or rather lag behind updated releases? It's no problem obviously - just something I'd like to understand rather than 'always trust the package manager'.

The command line stuff is definately not 'greenhorn friendly' so am hoping (possibly futile!) that I can accomplish things like updates through the Rigo (or another?) UI.

I tried manually updating these through their respective UI's. ClamAV seems to be able to tell me that it's out of date but it has no 'Update' menu or seemingly any way to actually action the update. Seems quite bizarre, but I'm likely missing something obvious. I did try manually downloading the updated Firefox package for version 19. It came down as a *.bz2 (I think) archive file. I could open this archive but have no idea how to actually install anything in it - double clicking the archive just opens it and I'm not familiar on an identifiable executable in Linux (like in Windows *.exe is something you double click and it launches - don't know if there is a *.exe equivalent in Linux?!).

Hope someone can offer assistance and understand my questions above - apologies for the newbie induced panic wall of text! :cyclops:

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Tarmac on Tue Apr 16, 2013 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Tarmac
Baby Hen

Re: Greenhorn help

Postby Matte88 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 13:33

Code: Select all
equo s package
will tell you the latest version available in Sabayon stable repo.
In Rigo will be the same. In your case, latest FF available (in Sabayon) is 18; version 19 will be available as soon as possible.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby Butch Cassidy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 13:47

and for clamav, you type in the terminal: su and then put your root password you created in. And then you type: freshclam and it should update.

Quickest way to learn is go through the Sabayon wiki: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Main_Page take your time and ask questions here as you go along. and remember copy and paste is your friend for commands.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Tarmac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 14:24

Thanks for your replies.

I did have a browse on the Wiki's but the package manager they were referring to was "Entropy" rather than Rigo which didn't help. Maybe they are the same thing on some level, I don't know (yet!).

I'll try that command line update for clam.

Do I use "XTerm" for the command line or is there something else that is best to use?

Thanks again.
Tarmac
Baby Hen

Postby Matte88 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 14:36

Tarmac wrote:Thanks for your replies.

I did have a browse on the Wiki's but the package manager they were referring to was "Entropy" rather than Rigo which didn't help. Maybe they are the same thing on some level, I don't know (yet!).

I'll try that command line update for clam.

Do I use "XTerm" for the command line or is there something else that is best to use?

Thanks again.

Every shell will do your needs 8)
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby Butch Cassidy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 15:10

This should give you a starting point for most of your initial answers: http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

If you go through that you'll understand more and you'll learn about Rigo.

And we'd better establish what Desktop Environment you downloaded and installed; was it Gnome, KDE, Xfce or another??
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby dave_64 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 15:28

There are a few little tricks to using the command line for package management. Sabayon's package manager is called "entropy", and rigo is a graphical program to use entropy. The biggest advantage of knowing how to use the command line is for rescueing a botched upgrade or some other problem that has disabled your graphical interface. In these cases, you can often make repairs from the command line, if you know a few commands. The command line available to you on the desktop is sort of a graphical version of the command line. There are several of these and they are called "terminals", and they have names like "konsole" or "xterm". When you start a terminal, it is always in your home. To become superuser, you type su - at the command prompt and give your root password. Then you can use the package manager from the root (superuser) terminal. The commands you type at the prompt are "remembered". To access and use these "remembered" commands, you merely use the upward pointing arrow on your keyboard to scroll backwards through your previously typed commands. Then you can enter the command. A full system upgrade would consist of the following 3 commands:
equo update
equo upgrade
equo conf update
Installing firefox would be:
equo install firefox
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Tarmac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 18:32

@Butch - I'm using "MATE" at the moment as it seemed to be the default and I've no idea about the others. I've since read during the day on this website that I should probably choose GNOME or KDE for a graphically rich UI since I have a decent GFX card, so I'll switch to one of those this evening (GNOME looks really nice in screenshots, probably try that first!)

@Dave - Thanks for those very useful tips and information!
Tarmac
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:43

You can install the KDE desktop with this command:
equo install kde-meta
I'm not sure if that works from MATE (you can try it).
I'm sure it will work from Gnome.
The new desktop environment will show up in the menu at the login prompt.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Mar 11, 2013 14:44

dave_64 wrote:The commands you type at the prompt are "remembered". To access and use these "remembered" commands, you merely use the upward pointing arrow on your keyboard to scroll backwards through your previously typed commands.

Correct. You can read the last ~500 commands with
Code: Select all
history

Very handy.
And you do not have to retype the command. Just write !number, where number is the number in front of the line you want to reuse :) Very handy.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area