Which pdf reader on SL 11 Xfce? And where is foxit? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which pdf reader on Sabayon 11 (Xfce)? And where is foxi

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03

LichPortal wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote:Don't you have epdfview installed in SL 11 Xfce? It's on the LiveDVD and was installed to the HDD of the two laptops on which I'm running SL Xfce.
app-text/epdfview-0.1.8-r1

No. There's no epdfview in my default PATH. I didn't do anything unusual during the installation -- I just let the installer have its way with me. :wink:

Applications Menu > Office > ePDFViewer

No. I just get several Libreoffice selections, but no mention of ePDFViewer.

Also, when I search for "epdfview" in Rigo, it comes back empty, so apparently my Rigo knows nothing about epdfview.

:? Try the following in a Terminal window:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password: <--- Enter the root user's passowrd.
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo conf update
# equo search epdfview
# exit
exit
$
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby LichPortal » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58

Fitzcarraldo wrote: :? Try the following in a Terminal window:

$ su
Password: <--- Enter the root user's passowrd.
# equo update
# equo upgrade
# equo conf update
# equo search epdfview
# exit
exit
$

OK, I ran the first 2 (update and upgrade) but I think something went wrong during
"equo conf update".

The update and upgrade took several hours (which was surprising since I've allowed all previous upgrade notifications to go ahead during the past week -- i.e., since I did the initial SL install). There was also a Kwin seg fault during the upgrade. Then, during "equo conf update" it kept asking me to type a number. I soon realized there would be a huge amount of repetitions of this question, so I quit "equo conf update" to see whether there was a "--yes" or "--5" option or whatever to pre-answer such questions. But it wouldn't let me quit without saying what to do with conf updates so far. I told it to keep the original, since I was quitting partway through, hoping to return. But now equo thinks my system is fully up to date, no reconfiguration necessary.

So... I've managed to put my system into a strange, probably inconsistent, state. :pale:
Is there a way to force a re-update/re-upgrade of everything? Or must I re-do a total re-install?
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25

From your original lack of epdfview to your latest report, it looks to me like your installation or subsequent upgrades were not sane anyway. There appears to something wrong with your installation. Follow the instructions in Fresh Install - What to do? and it should put you back to a sane state.

EDIT (March 8, 2012 12:50 GMT): The above comment regarding following the procedure in 'Fresh Install - What to do?' still applies, but I have to correct my comments regarding epdfview being on the SL 11 Xfce LiveDVD. It isn't. I was mistakenly looking at the package list for the SL 10 Xfce LiveDVD (which I installed on one of my laptops and rolled to latest from the weekly Entropy repository). I also installed SL 11 Xfce to another laptop recently, but am away from home for a few weeks and cannot check at the moment what is installed on that to read PDF files. Anyway, I have just checked the package list for the SL 11 Xfce LiveDVD and it does not contain app-text/epdfview, so my apologies for confusing you. But you do still need to sort out your installation, irrespective of that. As for a PDF viewer for Xfce, try installing app-text/qpdfview from the Entropy Weekly repository if you can't install app-text/epdfview from the Entropy Weekly repository (I still don't understand why you cannot, though :? ).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby LichPortal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:00

Fitzcarraldo wrote:From your original lack of epdfview to your latest report, it looks to me like your installation or subsequent upgrades were not sane anyway. There appears to something wrong with your installation.

Yes. I begin to suspect that the earlier advice in this thread to run "equo install kdebase-meta" was incorrect, since it complained during the install about nonexistence of other kdebase stuff. But since it seemed to install heaps of kdebase stuff later, and seemed to run thereafter, I didn't worry about that complaint further.

Anyway, since my experience with KDE was better overall than Xfce, I decided to simply trash my current installation and start all over again with the Sabayon_Linux_11_amd64_K.iso since I figured that "should" at least ensure that all the KDE stuff was installed properly. Silly me for thinking that (read on...)

Then I found out there was apparently no CD/DVD burner on the system, none that I could find anyway. Seriously weird. On other Linuxes I simply right-clink on the iso file in a file manager and it offers an option to burn it to CD/DVD.
But not here.

So I looked at the Sabayon Wiki to find out how to burn a CD on Sabayon. The only pages I found seemed to be for burning on Windoze, and the other one was in Italian without an English translation counterpart (sigh). Similarly, Wiki mentions of preparing a usb stick for booting went nowhere, so I couldn't follow that path. Growing more frustrated, I Googled a bit and realized I could install Nero to do the job.

So, after burning the DVD, I started a re-install of Sabayon/11/KDE. There was an unhandled exception(!) after I'd entered the main username and password, but on reattempt that went through.

So then I rebooted from disk, got the default KDE screen, tried to find an ordinary terminal but failed(!). Tried to run Rigo, but its subwindows got all messed up immediately. I think it was trying to tell me that upgrades were available, but the way it rewrote the window was wrong. As a result, I couldn't use the search bar, nor click on the "accept" buttons when licensing stuff was needed. Forcibly stopped Rigo, and rebooted again. Still came up with 2nd search bar obscuring other things. At this point I'm pretty close to the screaming stage. My previous Xfce installation experience was nowhere near as crap as this. Eventually managed to find Konsole hiding 3 menu levels deep (sigh -- surely there should be an ordinary terminal closer to the surface during a new installation). Then I ran all the equo stuff as listed in that "Fresh Install" link you quoted. Took about 4-5 hours to complete (aargh!).

I'm just about to reboot now and see if the upgrade has fixed all the crap from the original installation. And I suppose I should now start a new thread if I still have problems...

[Sorry for sounding so pissed off, but it's hard to imagine anyone giving Sabayon a second chance after such an experience if they tried the KDE variant first. The only reason I've persevered is that my previous Xfce install wasn't too bad.]

[EDIT: And now KDE won't let me logout. The screen just goes dim and then... nothing. Gotta reboot the hard way...]
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby raman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:21

I'm using Okular.
raman
Advanced Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:55

There is nothing wrong with the KDE ISO. If it were me I'd have run Gparted and formatted any appropriate Linux space and done a clean install from the SL KDE disk / stick personally (I don't use default LVM option during install). Saves a lot of messing around and you'll know if things don't work at the end of that whether a distro is suitable for your set up or not.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:12

If you want everything that kde has to offer, then you should run

#equo install kde-meta

Some people feel that adds too much bloat, so I gave you the command to install a minimalist kde. It seems I misunderstood exactly what you were looking for. No need to trash the entire install, just run that command now.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby LichPortal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:34

Butch Cassidy wrote:There is nothing wrong with the KDE ISO.
Well, either you have a nonstandard meaning for "nothing wrong", or you didn't read my post carefully. :scratch:

Stupot wrote:No need to trash the entire install, just run [...]
Unfortunately, I had already trashed the entire install, thinking (naively) that if I was going to use KDE permanently it's better to do it from scratch.

Stupot wrote:[...]so I gave you the command to install a minimalist kde. It seems I misunderstood exactly what you were looking for.

Oh, I didn't really know either. At least the most recent version of KDE successfully restores terminal window positions exactly from the previous session -- which the others did not. :roll:

Actually, it turns out that you did me favour in that I was able to play initially with the newest version of KDE (which I find ok), rather than the version from the iso file (which I found quite bad). So if I'd installed from the SL-11-KDE iso file, I might have abandoned Sabayon immediately.

From my viewpoint, this thread can now be considered "finished". I've installed SL-11-KDE, and done all the equo update/upgrade stuff. After going through in the KDE system settings options, Kicker application configurator (or whatever it's called), and installing various other stuff, I'm now happy enough with what I've got.

So... thank you to everyone who helped me, or tried to help. :wink:
LichPortal
Baby Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:16

LichPortal wrote:
Well, either you have a nonstandard meaning for "nothing wrong", or you didn't read my post carefully. :scratch:

And yet, miracle of miracles, it works fine for others. Next time you get corruption try a clean install using a daily build iso.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby LichPortal » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48

Butch Cassidy wrote:
LichPortal wrote:

And yet, miracle of miracles, it works fine for others.
I don't doubt it, but so what? It wouldn't be the first time that a dist fails to work 100% satisfactorily everywhere.

Next time you get corruption try a clean install using a daily build iso.
What you're saying is inconsistent. I downloaded off the main sabayon.org page, and carefully checked the md5sum. I burned a DVD at lowest speed. And I did do a clean install both times. Never had "corruption" problems on any other Linux install.

And what/where is the "daily build iso"? I saw no mention of it amongst the iso files on the main sabayon.org page. Most new users are not clairvoyant mind-readers.
LichPortal
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area