first time sabayon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

first time sabayon

Postby memory » Mon Feb 25, 2013 20:31

hello, i am not a completly linux noob, but i dont have so much experience
i installed the newest version of sabayon (amd64 G).
I have still some issues.
1) printer
i am trying to add a printer in the system settings menu. It is an network printer HP LaserJet-CM1415fnw -2 (its found properly). yet if i click add printer, it just prompt a message error while adding printer and it does nothin.

2) gnome (3.6)
one thing, which i dont understand, that in the right upper corner (the user-thing) i can choose if i am availible or not. For no reason i am unavailible, despite of adding google and facebook account and i cannot change it.

3) display(s)
i have 2 displays. They work fine (which does surprize me, because other linux distributions (debian, mint) are tricky to set it up, because somwhere in xorg.conf a maximum horizontal length is defined... ). So i am glad it works, but only if i am logged in. So my question: where is the config file, so my displayes would look properly even at booting, or at least at logging in?

4) skype didnt work but now it does (no clue why, doesnt matter, i just clicked arround)

i will be happy about any advice. I know i should RTFM before, but as i am completely new to sabayon (comming from ubuntu isnt helping very much) i thought i ask in forum before. So please help me, or at least send me links with help, so i can read on the proper place (nothing is more frustrating then reading some wiki page, with discovering that all this work was useless afterward).

because i love this out-of-the-box working (and it almost does), i already donated 13.37 euros to sabayon (see it as my trust, because i never donatet anything^^)
memory
Baby Hen

Re: first time sabayon

Postby Provia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 21:03

Welcome to SL!

1) to use an hp printer you have to install the hp driver called "hplip" (you can find it in rigo)
2)don't know as i'm a kde user :D
3)what videocard do you have?
4)ok.......

anyway thank you for your donation and don't be afraid to post here if you have some problems
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby memory » Mon Feb 25, 2013 22:15

1)thx will try
2) is solved (it works now, after setting up empathy)
3) i think it was radeon 5670
part of lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood [Radeon HD 5670]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]
memory
Baby Hen

Postby memory » Mon Feb 25, 2013 22:40

1) i installed he hplip, so now i have the driver. but it still does not work. I also tried the Manage Printing tool in System tools and added my printer with that. It added the printer, but i cannot print yet. When i look on the jobs then there is always "Unable to locate printer "NPIFB0DC4.local"." I suspect, that there is something wrong with its location. if i look up in system settings in printer again, there is (oh a wonder) my printer. But its IP Address is set on localhost. I gues it is right, (because i have some kind of server for printing jobs on my pc?).
The settings in the "Manage Printing" tool are:
Description: HP LaserJet CM1415fnw
Driver: HP LaserJet cm1415fnw hpijs pcl3, 3.12.11 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: dnssd://HP%20LaserJet%20CM1415fnw%20(FB0DC4)._ipp._tcp.local/
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided
memory
Baby Hen

Postby webculb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 22:52

memory wrote:4) skype didnt work but now it does (no clue why, doesnt matter, i just clicked arround)

I'm surprised Skype even works at all on Linux, now that Micr :twisted: $ :twisted: ft owns it.
webculb
Baby Hen

Postby webculb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 22:54

memory wrote:1) i installed he hplip, so now i have the driver. but it still does not work. I also tried the Manage Printing tool in System tools and added my printer with that. It added the printer, but i cannot print yet. When i look on the jobs then there is always "Unable to locate printer "NPIFB0DC4.local"." I suspect, that there is something wrong with its location. if i look up in system settings in printer again, there is (oh a wonder) my printer. But its IP Address is set on localhost. I gues it is right, (because i have some kind of server for printing jobs on my pc?).
The settings in the "Manage Printing" tool are:
Description: HP LaserJet CM1415fnw
Driver: HP LaserJet cm1415fnw hpijs pcl3, 3.12.11 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: dnssd://HP%20LaserJet%20CM1415fnw%20(FB0DC4)._ipp._tcp.local/
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided

I know this sounds silly but, have you rebooted your machine? Yes, you could go through and restart daemons to do the same thing. If this is just your personal machine though, restarting would be faster.
webculb
Baby Hen

Postby memory » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:34

ok, i did both, restart and also added me to group lp... i am quite sure that i restarted also yesterday, but never mind. Now found 2 printers, so i tested around and one of them somehow works^^. (it printed a pdf file already)
so thanks for that

what about my other question with the 2 screens.
Or if i may modify my question.
How do i set up the gnome-login (or even the booting screen) so my 2 monitors will work properly?
It defenitly works, because as i login, my setting is there, and evrything works. But on the loging screen is evrything unset.
memory
Baby Hen

Postby memory » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:37

if you know any help (like a wiki article about a config file which i have to change) pls feel free just to post it here, i can read it by myself. I don't want to bother you with explenation of a wiki article, besides i like to learn^^.
memory
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:02

memory wrote:Or if i may modify my question.

Please don't. Create a new thread instead.

memory wrote:How do i set up the gnome-login (or even the booting screen) so my 2 monitors will work properly?
It defenitly works, because as i login, my setting is there, and evrything works. But on the loging screen is evrything unset.

Maybe it's simply a GDM problem. Someone asked a similar question some days ago on the Google+ community.

I do not have a second screen, so I cannot support "live".
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area