Clear Link for Daily ISO Request

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Clear Link for Daily ISO Request

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 14:29

People seem to be struggling finding the daily ISOs....and I must admit it took me a while to find them working from the front page.

People appear to be a little put off SL by the initial volume of updates on first install, especially if the image is two months old. Which is silly when you consider Ubuntu and variants, and most other distros, do exactly the same on first install - but hey-ho this is human perception we're dealing with.

Anyway, in view of me struggling to find the daily ISO links too. I hearby formally request a more visible link on the front page to said daily ISOs.

Super awesome, fanks. 8)
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Re: Clear Link for Daily ISO Request

Postby svantoviit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:04

Butch Cassidy wrote:Anyway, in view of me struggling to find the daily ISO links too. I hearby formally request a more visible link on the front page to said daily ISOs.

The right place for doing this would be https://bugs.sabayon.org/.

But it is really that hard to go to the Download section of the Sabayon page, choose one of the mirrors and with two further clicks (iso→daily) land on the page with the list of downloadable daily isos?
Or go directly to http://best.sabayon.org/iso/daily/.
But I admit that including general "best-links" on the top of the download-page is maybe not a bad idea.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 18:27

Don't selectively quote what I put. I put what I put because I've noticed the reactions of people on other forums trying SL for the first time. So I decided to try accessing the 'daily iso links' for myself from their perspective, so in answer to your second point, clearly yes it is, people have no clue that any of this exists without having to jump through hoops. Why would they know if SL (or any other distro for that matter) fails to communicate clearly.

Your first point is the classic lack of communication I'm talking about. WTF would anyone in their right mind create a bug report about a non-bug website issue. Convention? ...so be it , but don't automatically assume things of others who neither know or care. The 'desktop Linux distro' is the one who wants to attract new users not the other way round for the most part.

Glad we agree in the end though.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby svantoviit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 0:00

Butch Cassidy wrote:Why would they know…

Suppose a new user starts with the wiki > Introduction / New Users Start Here which points her/him to the releases section of the forums, where dailies are mentioned.
However, as I understand it, dailies were meant for testing primarily. Releases are the "official" install media, so there is no need for a newbie to know about dailies.
And the number of updates? Man, it's a rolling distro, what do you suppose? Anyway the monthly/bimonthly releases (coming soon) should make this better.

Butch Cassidy wrote:WTF would anyone in their right mind create a bug report about a non-bug website issue. Convention?

Bugzilla is simply the place for all types of requests addressed to the devs. Not a special Sabayon thing.

Butch Cassidy wrote:but don't automatically assume things of others who neither know or care.

In the Linux world you have at least to care, otherwise you are wrong here.
If you don't want to care nor learn, stick with an OS with commercial support. May it be Win, Mac or RedHat, Suse or Ubuntu, if you want Linux.

Don't be scared of the "frightening manual".*

* edited bad langauage
Last edited by svantoviit on Mon Feb 25, 2013 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Butch Cassidy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22

I'm glad we've established your English comprehension isn't quite up to it, makes things easier all round.

But just to clarify for your ignorance, the introduction to SL 11 page reads: This also mean that our official releases (or snapshots) are becoming stale very quickly, which is a reason why we have "daily" live media images available as well.

Which brings us neatly full circle and the purpose of the original post.
Butch Cassidy
Simple Hen

Postby svantoviit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45

Butch Cassidy wrote:Which brings us neatly full circle and the purpose of the original post.

Sabayon Bugzilla ;)
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Provia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58

svantoviit wrote:
Butch Cassidy wrote:but don't automatically assume things of others who neither know or care.

In the Linux world you have at least to care, otherwise you are wrong here.
If you don't want to care nor learn, stick with an OS with commercial support. May it be Win, Mac or RedHat, Suse or Ubuntu, if you want Linux.

Don't be scared of the "fucking manual".

I agree with Butch. I don't know why be aggressive with an user that simply report a problem. Anyway about the abused "if you don't like, then use Ubuntu"; i think that make a clear link and give users a clear information is not so drastically hard or far from SL philosophy. We must admit that the existence of daily iso is not so diffuse in beginners due to (IMO) a not so clear download page.
I have no problem with iso and dowload (just to be clear), i love this distro, but i think we need a little work on the web-site and on "marketing". Of course i do what i can to spread and involve people on this project.

PS: sorry for my english.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby svantoviit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:04

Didn't want to sound rude nor aggressive. Just wanted to point out, that the right place for this type of requests is the Bugzilla not the Forum.
The other thing is, that Sabayon isn't the right OS for "careless" or "ignorant" users. Just remember all the issues caused only by not reading and following the Entropy notices…
If you feel you will help Sabayon, please, donate.
Last edited by svantoviit on Mon Feb 25, 2013 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Provia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27

I have already made a donation, i will do it again (if i have enough money). I agree with make users more aware about their system. Anyway we can not just respond to everyone with "this thing is written somewhere you have just to find it". We have to be as clear as possible. In this case the site is a bit confusing. In the home page if i click "Download" (in the big green box) i'm redirected to sabayon 11 release notes while if i click "Download" link at the top i'm redirected on the "real" download page.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby micia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44

Butch Cassidy, personal offences are not allowed in this forum, this applies to you, svantoviit, who wasn't being offensive to you, but rather referencing common quotes in the Linux world, and to any other user. Please keep a respectful tone while posting, otherwise the discussion won't be productive and the issue you reported surely won't be fixed.
svantoviit, please avoid bad language and jokes that might be misunderstood, unfortunately we can't rely on ambiguous messages that could be read as offensive, since if something can be read in the wrong way, it is going to (Murphy's Law).
If this discussion goes on like this I'll be forced to lock this topic.

Back to the discussion, svantoviit made a good suggestion, which is reporting the issue in Sabayon Bugzilla, that features a specific website and hosted services section, with the description:
Issues with the Website, Forum, Pastebin, Git, IRC or any other Sabayon hosted service.

This makes sense to me, since even the official website is part of the Sabayon infrastructure, and is certainly more appropriate than reporting problems in the forums expecting developers to scan the Beginner's Area while looking for bug reports.

Anyway, since this is not a topic about support, but rather about a suggestion (or a problem), I'm moving it to the Artwork and Development Suggestions section.
micia
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions