black screen after updating sabayon 10

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

black screen after updating sabayon 10

Postby lemon09 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 20:30

well, this is a continuation of my earlier post
https://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29111

I finally managed to update/upgrade my system using rigo. However this left me with a new problem. every time I boot my sabayon machine it would end up in a blank screen. Pressing [Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2] would land me into a new terminal. the terminal seems to be working fine but with the command
Code: Select all
#startx

it would splash an error message stating that the x server can't be started. It was a complete mess and it left me with no other options other than reinstalling it. Next time it was again the same problem. I upgraded it and finally a blank screen. I am using the KDE version. So does anybody know what exactly the problem it and is there any hope of fixing it????
It is worth mentioning that I only upgraded the packages but not the kernel. The kernel is 3.5.0(default in sabayon 10 I guess). Do I have to update the kernel as well???
lemon09
Baby Hen

Re: black screen after updating sabayon 10

Postby wolfden » Sat Feb 16, 2013 21:51

we don't use startx and you need to check the log files for errors otherwise nobody knows what is wrong. You shouldn't need to upgrade the kernel.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lemon09 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:42

well I checked the log file and it read something like "x server can't be connected"
lemon09
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14

What hardware?

What driver?

Need more info from log files, start with the Xorg log file, pending on desktop environment the gdm or kdm or xdm log file, and messages log file.

/etc/init.d/xdm start|stop|restart are the way to restart X

My guess is - you have ATI card or Nvidia card and with latest xorg stuff your card is not supported with that. That is just my guess as of now.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lemon09 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 20:12

I have an Nvidia card for sure. So now what???
I have once again installed Sabayon into my system. If it is that the latest xorg stuff isn't supported how do I upgrade it at all. every time I upgrade some similar faults shall rise up I guess. Is there any way of handling it???
lemon09
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:04

Yes, there is a way. But we need more information. # means "run as root" and $ "run as normal user" in Konsole.
Code: Select all
# lspci -nnk | grep -i -A2 vga
# equo remove --pretend nvidia-drivers
# cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i -A 5 NVIDIA
# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Upload the output on http://pastebin.sabayon.org/ and link it here, please. You may want to try "| pastebunz" appending on each command. If something is unclear, don't hesitate to ask :)

You can try this instruction, if you like to.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:11

lemon09 wrote:I have an Nvidia card for sure. So now what???
I have once again installed Sabayon into my system. If it is that the latest xorg stuff isn't supported how do I upgrade it at all. every time I upgrade some similar faults shall rise up I guess. Is there any way of handling it???

:? you still haven't posted your hardware details - Nvidia what?

You need to match your card up with http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html to see what you need.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lemon09 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 15:02

@Ryuno-Ki
Thanks for your suggestions!!! It was of a great help. Finally just tell me a few things.
I have installed sabayon in my machine for one more time. I have followed up your link and removed the nvidia software.
presently the version is 304.xx. I dont want to change the graphics software during upgradation. So how do I deal with package.mask in this issue?? What I find is that masking in entropy is not properly documented. Please help!!!
lemon09
Baby Hen

Postby dave_64 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 18:12

I guess you have installed sabayon and have a graphical interface. I guess you have lose the graphical interface when you upgrade and reboot. If the 304 driver works, and the upgrade fails, then you have to mask the newer drivers, and only use the 304 driver. You need to add these three lines to the package.mask file, which is located at /etc/entropy/packages/package.mask
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-310.19
>=media-video/nvidia-settings-310.19
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-userspace-310.19
You need to be root to edit that file, so you can use nano for that.
You should do that before you upgrade from the install. After making the edits, you can upgrade. (If not, you will have to install the correct driver from the console to get a graphical interface. Then you can reboot and edit the package.mask file)
Or maybe I misunderstand your situation.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby lemon09 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:50

at /etc/entropy/packages/package.mask
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-310.19
>=media-video/nvidia-settings-310.19
>=x11-drivers/nvidia-userspace-310.19

can you please elaborate...I mean why do you say 310 when it should be 304???
lemon09
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area