Wireless and Wallet [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless and Wallet [Solved]

Postby rogerh113 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 16:23

Hello,

New to Sabayon and just loaded 10 KDE 64 for the first time - all went well, and I have run through the entire update process. I have two issues that perhaps you can help with.

I can connect via ethernet cable to the internet though my router jsut fine. I do not seem to be able to set up the wireless connection to work (although the wireless icon at the bottom of the page in the tool bar says it is working, nothing is coming through). I used the settings /networking to try and set up the wireless. My wireless source showed in the scan, although I have a dual g/n router, and only the g shows. My PC wireless card does support n. Is there a simple primer on how to use settings / networking to set up a wireless connection, or is there a simple GUI app that works well??? On something like my Roku, I just pick the connection and enter the password and go - this appears to want much more info (and I am probably not filling it out correctly).

What is the value add of this KDE wallet for a personal home system? It just keeps popping up. How can I turn this off, or can the app just be deleted?

I imagine there may be much system information you might want (or maybe not). Please let em know and I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks -- Roger
Last edited by rogerh113 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13, edited 1 time in total.
rogerh113
Young Hen

Re: Wireless and Wallet

Postby Provia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 16:46

Can't help you now for your connection problem but have you cosidered to try the new Sabayon 11?
Maybe you will solve your problem and you have (almost)anything to update after installation. With the new Sabayon you will have the new kernel too. I suggest this just because i see that you have just do a fresh install.
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Postby rogerh113 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 17:55

Thanks for the suggestion on shifting to 11. I think I will just try to get fully up and running on a stable version first. I would classify myself as a happy user, rather than a bleeding edge hobbyist.

Regards -- Roger
rogerh113
Young Hen

Postby dave_64 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 23:27

I think you can disable the kde wallet by going to:
settings > system settings > account details > kde wallet
Uncheck the "Enable wallet subsystem"
Strangely, mine is checked, but wallet never pops up on me. Not sure what that is about, but, as long as I don't have a problem with wallet popping up on me, I'll leave it as is.
dave_64
Advanced Hen

Postby rogerh113 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 23:53

Thank you - found that and disabled the wallet. I am not sure why, but that wallet was popping up all the time when I was trying to enable the wireless network - probably wanted to manage the password and/or config. I'll be glad not to see it....

Now on to getting the wireless up and running?????? Anyone???

Thanks -- Roger
rogerh113
Young Hen

Postby abs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:20

It seems you have a recent system upgrade.... after upgrade you should type "equo conf update" and reboot system to changes take efect.
If problem persists you should try to disable/enable wireless using networkmanager applet (system tray)
abs
Growing Hen

Postby rogerh113 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 13:02

I used Rigo for the update. For clarification, do I still need to go to terminal and do command line instructions to complete the update??

I will reboot the wireless router, and try your suggestion on the networkmanager applet.

Thanks -- Roger
rogerh113
Young Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 13:26

Hallo Roger.
Welcom to Sabayon, especially SL with KDE. I'm a KDE user also.
You can make an easy check.
Boot from Live CD or memory stick.
When KDE DE appears, right click on Wireless tray symbol and you should see the routers in your environment.
Then find your router's (your network) name and right click on it.
After that you will be asked for adding a network connection and inserting the password from your router.
Then (this happens ever at first time when you use an application which needs a password) another window with the KDE wallet manager will open. You will be ask for a password for this the KDE wallet manager.
The (standard) KDE wallet keeps all your passwords for applications, e.g. Chromium, network passwords...). And the wallet manager provides, that every time, the applications needs the password, that password is given from this wallet manager (so you don't need to enter again).
So, at first call, the KDE wallet manager needs a password itself.
Then I choose basic configuration wit NO password (I let it empty), then I confirm and in future KDE wallet is opened without asking me for itself passord.
But then it will keep also the wireless password (you should wait a moment).
And you should answer the question 'Give access one time only or always or deny...) when the wallet manager asks you.
I say 'Always give permission'.
I do the same way after installing on disk. Because I don't gave a wallet manager password (empty),
after reboot, the wallet manager gives the network password to network manager and I get connected.

Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby rogerh113 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 15:18

Hello,

I can access the router icon fine, and can 'set up' the wireless router such that the system says I am connected. Problem is that nothing is coming across the wireless network. The little traffic graphic has a bit at the beginning and then is flatlined. I have a g + n router, and it seems that only one of the two are shown during the 'scan'. Normally the g would be 'linksys' and the n 'linksys media', but only 'linksys' shows (along with a hidden routers icon at the top of the list??) I am using DSL, and changed the MTU to 1492, so that hopefully is not the connection issue...... I am not sure what else to try

Thanks for the information on KDE wallet - I will give that a try once the wireless is up and running.

Regards -- Roger
rogerh113
Young Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:43

You may be connected with the router,
but I assume, that, however, your password is wrong, and that you must enter it (again).
Make a test with a live boot media and follow the connection sequence after clicking on your router.
Then let me know, pls...
You can test your speed then with internet website:
http://www.my-speedtest.com/

Important: plug out your ethernet cable!

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
TTIP is NOT YET stopped. Especially consider NHS and ISDS topics. Talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area