Computer died after updates

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Computer died after updates

Postby djtightlips » Fri Feb 15, 2013 18:21

Hi.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to Sabayon.

I installed it on my old nForce3-computer with ATI Radeon x1600 Pro.

I made all the updates. After a reboot it starts to load but then goes black with a cursor blinking at top left of screen. No info - no nothing at all...just dead.

Today i installed it as a dualboot with XP. Do i dare to update again ? Or can i just ignore and maybe disable the annoying popups about updates ?

It is the x86 10 version i use.
djtightlips
Baby Hen

Re: Computer died after updates

Postby aia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 20:23

I think that you have to do all the updates!
aia
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Feb 15, 2013 20:52

It sounds like you upgraded the kernel without upgrading the graphics drivers. In linux, the graphics drivers are tied with the kernel version.

If you wish to upgrade your kernel, Sabayon provides a tool call 'kernel-switcher' to make the process simple.
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... l_Switcher

Note: Entropy should not automatically upgrade your kernel. You should be going out of your way to specifically upgrade your kernel. That said, dependencies are tricky and entropy has been known for sometimes pulling in a kernel upgrade when it shouldn't have.

***NOTE*** When I said kernel upgrade, I mean upgrading the version number, not revision number. Switching from kernel 3.4.0 to 3.5.0 is a kernel upgrade. Switching from 3.4.0-r2 to 3.4.0-r3 is the same kernel, just patched and recompiled. These should be pulled in by entropy as a part of a system upgrade.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby djtightlips » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15

djtightlips wrote:Hi.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to Sabayon.

I installed it on my old nForce3-computer with ATI Radeon x1600 Pro.

I made all the updates. After a reboot it starts to load but then goes black with a cursor blinking at top left of screen. No info - no nothing at all...just dead.

Today i installed it as a dualboot with XP. Do i dare to update again ? Or can i just ignore and maybe disable the annoying popups about updates ?

It is the x86 10 version i use.

My other new computer tells me after the reboot that the new rootdisk (something like that) couldn't be found. The help i get there is not any help for a beginner.

Why not have Sabayon to do an automatic restore after two failed bootups ? Just as Windows 8 does ? That is an excellent way to bypass severe errors. (i know Sabayon isn't Windows 8, but maybe there should be worked more on this to make it easy for complete beginners to use Your OS)

If it is something that make me stay away from Linux/Unix it is because of failed reboots after updates...

Have to add that i made all the updates that i were notified to do. Is there anything that aren't notified about then ?

I did remove Sabayon on both of my computers due to both gave an impossible reboot after the updates. :(
djtightlips
Baby Hen

Postby djtightlips » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17

Stupot wrote:It sounds like you upgraded the kernel without upgrading the graphics drivers. In linux, the graphics drivers are tied with the kernel version.

If you wish to upgrade your kernel, Sabayon provides a tool call 'kernel-switcher' to make the process simple.
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... l_Switcher

Note: Entropy should not automatically upgrade your kernel. You should be going out of your way to specifically upgrade your kernel. That said, dependencies are tricky and entropy has been known for sometimes pulling in a kernel upgrade when it shouldn't have.

***NOTE*** When I said kernel upgrade, I mean upgrading the version number, not revision number. Switching from kernel 3.4.0 to 3.5.0 is a kernel upgrade. Switching from 3.4.0-r2 to 3.4.0-r3 is the same kernel, just patched and recompiled. These should be pulled in by entropy as a part of a system upgrade.

How do i block a kernel update / patched kernel ?
djtightlips
Baby Hen

Postby aia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 14:59

There is no reason to block the kernel update.
One good think in the Free and Open Source Software is that provide often updates than other close software.
Sabayon does not install newest kernel automatic (via rigo)like in other package software.If you want(to install newest kernel) you must to do manually.
So forget the reason that after form update your computers got the newest kernel and something bad was happening.
The problem is somewhere else.But i am not able to understand.
If you want to get more help you have to tell us specific things.
In general try to write exactly what is your problem and which is the last think that you did and describe a little bit the technical situation.
My other new computer tells me after the reboot that the new rootdisk (something like that) couldn't be found. The help i get there is not any help for a beginner.

I guess that you have confused the partition between Windows and Sabayon and something wrong was happening,including and the grub.

Yoy can get help also from the official wiki.
https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
aia
Young Hen

Postby Provia » Sat Feb 16, 2013 16:08

I think that maybe this is a problem related to ati drivers. I have experienced something similar in Chakra Linux. It says someting related to 'nomodeset'? Anyway i suggest you to try install SL 11 and then type in console
Code: Select all
eselect opengl list

to see if you are using proprietary ati drivers or x11 drivers. Old ati cards should use x11.

PS:sorry for my english
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor
4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
Sabayon Linux x64 KDE Limbo
Provia
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area