Power Vue Netbook Graphic Install + other issues

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Power Vue Netbook Graphic Install + other issues

Postby kayasaman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 0:09

Hi,

this is my second day at using Sabayon and I must say that I'm highly impressed!! :)

Currently I'm in the process of moving my systems over to Sabayon - 2x laptops and 1x Mini-ITX ATOM based desktop.

So far I've managed to get Sabayon onto all my machines apart from my Toshiba NB510 netbook which has a PowerVue 3600 GPU coupled to an ATOM CPU.

At present the machine is running Fedora 17 using the gma500 kernel module but since this graphics chip is quite bleeding edge and generally Fedora is quite a heavy OS (even though I build all my Fedora desktops from minimal install) I want to get Sabayon onto it.

Upon going through the install process I've tried to do a text based install but what caught me out was that unlike the graphical install there was no option to perform a "custom partition layout" on the hard drive. I currently have 3 partitions 1x swap, 1x /root and the other is my working partiton which I don't want to loose and unfortunately have no where to migrate the data off at this point. The graphical install gives me full functionality (observed from my other builds) but with the netbook I keep getting the error:

Code: Select all
no displays detected

upon scanning through Xorg.0.log

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The error came up with

unknown device

Is there something I can do to fudge the system to work or even get installed so that maybe the updates will help?

In addition I'm having a few issues with my Lenovo X220 laptop which used to run at 50-60 degrees C using Fedora 16, now with Sabayon I'm getting this:

# sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +92.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +93.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +90.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +89.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
fan1:        4472 RPM

This is with the CPU throttled to 800MHz, POWERD is also active and running so I have no idea why with light CPU usage the system should run this hot? As I had Sabayon up and fully upgraded within 2-3 hours it seems odd that switching from one OS to another would make such a difference... am running

uname -a
3.7.0-sabayon #1 SMP Wed Jan 23 20:51:11 UTC 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

In addition to all of these I have a few minor questions:

Is there a repo or source that I can get the Extra plugins for Enlightenment 17 and MATE desktop environments?

Currently I've installed both and they're fine but I would like to have a plugin that shows the ACPI temp using LM_SENSORS in MATE and weather and load plugins for E17.

Since I couldn't find anything running equo I decided to use the Enlightenment SVN repo and MATE git repo for these plugins:

mate-sensors-applet
E-MODULES-EXTRA: Weather, mail, CPU

I keep running into errors when trying to compile:

For E17:
Weather:-
./configure: line 13456: syntax error near unexpected token `E,'
./configure: line 13456: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(E, enlightenment)'

Mail:-
Makefile.am:28: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
configure.ac:69: required file `src/Makefile.in' not found

Mate-sensors-applet:-
No package 'libmatepanelapplet-4.0' found

I tried Google'ing but couldn't find any resolv anywhere so I'm not quite sure what the issue is? Perhaps I need Gmake rather then make to build them which doesn't seem to be available?

I mean even something like Sudoku Savant (which I also couldn't find using equo) doesn't build:

./configure: line 6442: syntax error near unexpected token `PACKAGE,'
./configure: line 6442: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(PACKAGE, $pkg_modules)'

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to get these things in or if there is some kind of way to build the code - like BSD ports??

Can anyone help me on the topics above?

P.s. sorry for posting multiple subjects in one post but rather then seperating them into lots of smaller posts I decided to do a quick brain dump. Also I'm not quite sure what I'm doing yet with Sabayon since this is day 2 and currently I've only really explored "equo" and not "emerge or portage" yet.

Thanks!
kayasaman
Young Hen

Re: Power Vue Netbook Graphic Install + other issues

Postby kayasaman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 0:42

Ok fixed the system temp issue!

I switched the system over to kernel 3.7 from 3.5 and I'm gathering since there were no modules available for this kernel as of yet that something wasn't functioning properly.

I changed back to kernel 3.5 which is fine and my system has cooled down dramatically:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +57.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Physical id 0:  +58.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +57.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +57.0°C  (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
fan1:        3861 RPM

Few.... scratch one off list :)
kayasaman
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area