Dualbooting need some guidance

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Dualbooting need some guidance

Postby Malsavias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38

Hey everyone... Brand
new here and I wanted to try something with my Sabayon netbook.

I've only started using Sabayon and linux recently, a talented friend of mine has been helping me learn the basics of the command line and linux in general.

Now I want to try and dualboot with windows XP on my already installed and established sabayon netbook.

I attempted looking through the wiki and found guides for people with windows already installed or a fresh sabayon/windows installation.

So i'm reaching out to anyone with experience with this and asking how to get started, or if someone can point me in the right direction... I really don't want to break anything, even though that's usually inevitable when it comes to learning. >.<

Anyways, any help before I delve further into this would be greatly appreciated.
Baby Hen

Re: Dualbooting need some guidance

Postby amandus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:15

The easiest way is to have Windows first and then install Sabayon, Sabayon recognize that there is a Windows installed and make a Grub menu there you can choose at boot which Operating system you want to start.

Make a unallocated partition after the partition there you install Windows and after the installation of windows is finished you can start the Sabayon installation and point it to the unallocated partition you can make the partitions manual or let the installation program take care of it.
Simple Hen

Re: Dualbooting need some guidance

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Fri Feb 01, 2013 16:28

Hm, if Sabayon Linux behaves like Ubuntu, then you have to work manually. An instruction can be found here.
  • Make a backup of your data!
  • Grab a Windows RescueDisk and a Sabayon LiveCD/DVD
  • Boot the LiveCD and partition the first two partitions for Windows. You may have to move the Sabayon at the end.
  • Install windows on the first two partitions. This will destroy GRUB!
  • Boot the LiveCD and repair GRUB.
Sorry, I'm in a hurry right now and the topic isn't that easy. However, it should be done similar to the Ubuntu instruction. If you like, documentate your line of actions. Either here in the forums or in the wiki. Especially with the "dangerous" parts.
It's a difficult topic …
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area