How is Sabayon version name correct ? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How is Sabayon version name correct ? [Solved]

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01

Hi,
sorry if this is probably a stupid question. I don't feel shure about how to name correct giving someone advise who needs help with Sabayon, same as homeless distrohoppers who want to try seriously Sabayon ... ;-) asking me Howto's about Sabayon Linux:

Sabayon Linux including all available Desktops and configurations:

official stable = Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 ?
next official version = Sabayon Linux 11 OpenRC 11.8 ?

Sabayon Linux with the most specific default configuration available:

Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 KDE amd64 ?
Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 KDE x86_64 ?

I suggest here as correct name the original name used for the Sabayon .iso images:

Sabayon_Linux_10_amd64_G

the same, but just basic features, a common name easy too understand
for non experts, like in a article or similar:

Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 64 -bit Intel & AMD Gnome Desktop Version Number ?

Personally i prefer syntax language conform names, but some people new to Linux maybe cant understand those shorter versions. That is just the reason why i ask this, because i don't want to use wrong descriptions !!

Thanks for help, though first help those Users needing maybe more help ... meaning = i can wait for a answer on this !!

My following question has been answered very quick from the inbuild "artificial intelligence" pumped from repo sabayonlinux.org !! into my machine some minutes ago !!

There is no need for human intervention anymore and it was the rigth moment for me to switch off limbo repos back to official Repo and still a bit upgrade to do but no need "call the cops" anymore, anyway i have stolen the cops from Sabayon Webpage so now i bring them back !! :mrgreen:

Welcome Sabayon 11 !! Konfetti :D another milestone in the History of Sabayon Linux: New Sabayon 11 is the best "Linux Sabayon Ferrari" ever, ever i drived !! more and more non Sabayon User i see distrohopping, meanwhile Sabayon Community members and Sabayon Distro User, are satisfied with Sabayon, those hoppers still dream on ;);) sorry my humor and english.

Mille grazie a Signore Ixnay eh il "Team" di Sabayon Linux !! per questa nuova Innovazione si chiama:

Sabayon Linux 11 !!
Scusi il mio italiano qui ... Sorry my italian emotions

Ciao :)
Last edited by videOMoviEShine on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Location: ..o). I love BERLIN .(o.. ..o). BERLIN loves You.(o..

Re: How is Sabayon version name correct ?

Postby micia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 13:03

Hi, it is not a stupid question at all, it is such a fundamental question, it has a whole page explaining it, unfortunately the page isn't that easy to reach so most users are unaware of that:
http://best.sabayon.org/iso/main.html

videOMoviEShine wrote:Sabayon Linux including all available Desktops and configurations:

official stable = Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 ?
next official version = Sabayon Linux 11 OpenRC 11.8 ?

There is no such version, also OpenRC is never included into the naming scheme of any version, it is just the name of the system boot manager.

Sabayon Linux with the most specific default configuration available:

Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 KDE amd64 ?
Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 KDE x86_64 ?

There is no such iso, x86_64 is just another name for the amd64 architecture, maybe you are referring to the KDE4 iso, which is named Sabayon Linux K amd64 or x86, depending on the CPU architecture.

I suggest here as correct name the original name used for the Sabayon .iso images:

Sabayon_Linux_10_amd64_G

That is the name used for the version 10 of Sabayon Linux, GNOME edition targeted to amd64 architecture... it is not entirely clear to me if you are making a suggestion or asking for the naming scheme of the Sabayon Linux iso files. :?:

the same, but just basic features, a common name easy too understand
for non experts, like in a article or similar:

Sabayon Linux 10 OpenRC 10.5 64 -bit Intel & AMD Gnome Desktop Version Number ?

Uhm, basically that organization is the same that is used right now, except Sabayon uses G for GNOME and K for KDE, the desktop version is not included because of the rolling nature of Sabayon.

Ciao :)

Ciao a te :)
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:04

Hi micia,

thanks for your information. So i understand better now. I was focussing more the colloquial use of Sabayon which makes it easier to explain how to understand the naming cheme, as i said i prefer the original .iso cheme from Sabayon. Very helpfull that i can adjust and not to say "OpenRC" !! and another misunderstanding due my english is not perfect.

I didnt mean "suggestion" i used the wrong word for that, sorry my mistake. Have to use more google transate !! I was asking the Sabayon Distro best possible matching official names, not beeing shure which one should be used in general. That was the main point of my question, because if in german people ask me about Sabayon Linux i want to be shure using the right names as defined from Sabayon and not from me.

So i need to edit again what i wrote before, is that okay here ? or better post a new comment after ?

What about Sabayon 11 ? maybe i am wrong also about that ? or has it hit sabayonlinux.org Repo today ? Sorry i don'tt know the rituals about that here, i only saw this big upgrade today thinking it must be Sabayon 11 ?

Nice greetings from Berlin
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 16:42

Don't go back and edit your post, make a new one if you feel you said things incorrectly. It'll be easier to follow.

Sabayon 11 hasn't been made into an iso yet. Some Sabayon 11 packages (Such as artwork) have already hit the repositories, but the iso has yet to be finalized and created.

Each iso is just a current snapshot of the state of the sabayon-weekly repository with select packages installed. The naming convention Sabayon uses is just a sequential number going upwards. There isn't really anything else to it. It isn't tied to any specific package version.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:00

Okay ... now try to derive it by myself what I have just asked:

I am used to put a new response to a whole thread as soon a first response comes in in case that i add response back. I sometimes make many changes in the sense of optimizations but do not change my first postings in communities anymore when a first reaction is coming in, even if there are mistakes from my side inside, because could be confusing for other Users, if they don't see the origin posting anymore, on that maybe a reaction is directly answering.

Please excuse me here, because i was using the wrong words in my first posting same as maybe other things i said in this posting which could be a result of misunderstanding the upgrade today ... so lets see, i am not shure, but wasn't there a new Sabayon about every 5-6 months ? and always on wednesday ? i cant remember exactly ...

What i know and understand, that sometimes delays are needed for bugfixing or optimizing like the last Fedora release !!
Linux world is in some parts of understanding still new to me. I see often the highest value in threads where a wrong understanding can be adjusted, because of a often higher learning learning effect out of that for me, but also if i read postings like that from other users here.

This seems for me a special good quality here in this Community ... a german proverb to that in its meaning: "to err is human" self-critical insight ... learn from their own errors and those of the other ... its the best "bugfixing" and often more intelligent then to avoid what sometimes happens ... and a interesting parallel Prinzip where Developers are thankfull to those users who send them bugreports, as long they are according rules for a optimal bugreporting !!

So, i like the not so popular way to be thankful for "human correction" even hard critiscm, as long it is true. A Community, which has a Community principle not to blame users for that, has in my eyes the highest value !! here it is possible to realize "my own bugfixing" somewhere else others humiliate themselves in order to increase ... this is only noted as philosophically constructive supplement containing psychologically fundamental principles of constructive human exchanges
therefore, in my view not deviating the rule of this forum that all postings have to apply to Sabayon Linux, although I generally just the prinzpien a good community meant ... One of the special qualities of this community is according to my own previous perception here.

Okay ... Now some more reflective thoughts that are fairly typical of my special me constructively art even if in a rather unusual way, this is my special art, which I try to bring here:

Sorry my analysis of the basic principles which perhaps seems abstract, but as knowledge and awareness very helpful to each other in a specific community ...it said only as empirical values ​​which I have gained in other communities.
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:04

Hi stupot,

just saw your message one minute ago ... but seems like i did it the right way with my own independent derivation ...

Have to excuse again ...above something is missing after my last sentence. Impossible for me sometimes to write english without mistakes. Maybe it is hopeless and better than to stop it here.

I have to invest even more time an read twice back. 'm pretty disappointed in myself and I overestimated myself. In German, I find it much easier. I'll stop now, unless someone tells me to the contrary! most important to get a realstic view about my english ...
Last edited by videOMoviEShine on Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:10

In this text, I interviewed a lot of google tranlation when english your native language is, I would be very grateful if for the better understood through an gles short feedback what I really mean !!

very much for that, thank you :)
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:15

Hi stupot,

okay, what i tell my german friends about when they can probably download Sabayon 11 as .iso ? Sunday night ?
Other answer ? Sorry have to be more economic here with space. To make my last question clearer. Release 10 Sabayon Linux was in 14. September 2012 ... is Sabayon 11 similar to understand like a special stable snapshot ? ore changed towards continuos rolling update ??

Sorry i should maybe read first some information here already given ...but unable to write and read both at the same time.
Writing in english takes me quit a time of concentration.

Thanks again :)
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Wed Jan 30, 2013 19:38

lokking for Daily ISO's

Daily ISOS's are Sabayon-10 full updated with latest updates.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby videOMoviEShine » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:02

Anyway i found the automatic configuration of equo update today very helpfull and the update seems to be no problem at all even for Sabayon Newbies with base knowledge about Linux in general, as long they don't touch this automatic preconfiguration ?? Sorry have to repeat with my words to check if i am not wrong ?? Probably boring for you. A posting in the german section was not sucessfull, maybe because of my wrong headline, so deleted it after i recognized my error.

Want to restart that again, also because explaining a bit those german Sabayon Newbies what they cannot understand in english i try hard here at the moment. No risc no fun, i will believe strong in your feeback i trust on a high level !!

thanks also in the name of those i am asking here :)
videOMoviEShine
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area