Funtoo to Sabayon?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Funtoo to Sabayon?

Postby Rukiri » Fri Jan 25, 2013 0:58

Hello, guess my first post has to be a funny one.

I have a pretty basic question, is it possible to install sabayon over funtoo? Meaning you install funtoo like normal and add the sabayon overlays on top?

I do swear I have seen a guide to this for gentoo.

If anyone knows the answer, feel free to post the answer.
Rukiri
Baby Hen

Re: Funtoo to Sabayon?

Postby wolfden » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31

Not an easy question to answer as you are coming from a custom built portage system and simply adding the Sabayon overlay won't get you an identical Sabayon release as your flags are completely different. If you decide to install entropy and switch over to that you gonna have a mess of things as you are getting pre-built binary packages.

So I don't know what you are trying to achieve. If you have a portage already system, just stick with it. There is no need to switch as everything comes from portage to start with. You can add the overlay(s) and keep right on trucking.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Rukiri » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15

Well the goal was to combine the best of both worlds, I have tried sabayon and as a long time Gentoo user(use funtoo, now as I prefer the core to gentoo's core system) I was kinda dissapointed and how sabayon handled portage, or I guess could be my fault and going and optimizing the make.conf perfectly to my hardare.

Reason why I want entropy is because compiling mate, gnome, kde or any package that really is not part of the base system doesn't need to be compiled from source. I do see that entropy 171 is in funtoo's portage tree officially(surprised actually...)

The goal was also to create a funtoo/sabayon hybrid where portage and entropy work perfectly, sabayon is a great distro and works great however is not really recommended if your want to use portage even though it is there. I also see that portage was stuck in 2009, kinda thought portage would have been a snapshot of when 10 came out.

If I succeed I will post a tutorial completely, including LVM(it's been ages since I've used it since btrfs). Btrfs is the filesystem that I use, zfs is preferred however is actually just as unstable as btrfs which actually if taken propper care of and the use of external drives (for everything, which is a recommended practice) only keep your base system on your hard drives and with your daily apps all your work should be on flash drives or stored on servers.

I did find "Install from a working system" and does explain what I want in more detail.

The tutorial should only be followed if you want to really use portage along side entropy for binary packages and know how to maintain the system. If you want the opposite, stick with sabayon but from my experience portage is broken once your sync and update portage as it can no longer find the "C" compiler but works perfectly BEFORE you sync and update portage.

I would actually like to see sabayon use Funtoo's portage tree as it usually is a bit more up to date in packages, gentoo does get them but maybe a few days or a week slower.
Rukiri
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23

The last time I ran funtoo it didn't even mix well with portage so I can't see it mixing well with Sabayon. Maybe times have changed since than and it can mix with overlays and portage without breaking.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Rukiri » Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:27

Entropy and Rigo are officially in the portage tree so we'll see how it pans out.
Rukiri
Baby Hen

Postby sabayonino » Fri Jan 25, 2013 19:04

Rukiri wrote:Entropy and Rigo are officially in the portage tree so we'll see how it pans out.

I think that if you install entropy via portage the make.conf and /etc/portage/packages/* contents and make.conf will be overwritten with default sabayon configuration (even if you agree etc-update warning -5)
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Rukiri » Fri Jan 25, 2013 23:52

Nope, it actually didn't.

Everything worked, equo, rigo, etc. However, performance and speed wise no difference compared to sabayon just wanted to try it out and see if it worked or not.
Rukiri
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area