Newbie first install - strange problems with d...[Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie first install - strange problems with d...[Solved]

Postby romje » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:00

Hi all,
I am very new to sabayon (first day) and this is my first installation ,but I am an old Debian user 9since more than 10 years).
I installed Sabayon X AMD 64 on my Lenovo w530 (laptop very powerful) . I succeeded in dropping problems between X server and gdm while installing the lightdm and/or lxdm display managers.
I can log in an Xsession but display is quite useless because I am facing a weird problem with encoding ..I see just white boxes and kanjese characters instead of plain words like shutdown options or any other text.
I changed the locales generated using locale gen dropping everything but the fr-FR and en_US UTF8 encodings.
I don' t know the distro enough to see any solution? Someone may be ?
I can't see any clue in the lxdm or lightdm config files (I 've tested with both products but now I am using lxdm because its config seems simpler than lightdm). I had the same incompatibility problem between gdm3 and X server nvidia module on my Debian Wheezy, switching to lightdm solved the problem.

An extra question: where should I put some extra GRUB command options ? I need to specify nox2apic boot option to avoid to see X server freezing....

Thanks a lot ..
I am really impressed by the sabayon distro ...

Kind regards
jerome
Last edited by romje on Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
romje
Baby Hen

Re: Newbie first install - strange problems with display man

Postby Sonnersen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:29

I had the same problem maybe, today, after a fresh install and upgrade;
I fixed following this:
export LANG="en_EN.UTF-8" && env-update
equo install x11-libs/pango x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf x11-libs/gtk+:2 x11-libs/gtk+:3

reboot
Sonnersen
Baby Hen

Postby romje » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:32

Thanks a lot..
I ''ll have a try now ...
kind regards
jerome
romje
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:46

Welcome to Sabayon, Jerome.
romje wrote:An extra question: where should I put some extra GRUB command options ? I need to specify nox2apic boot option to avoid to see X server freezing....

Pls take a look into /etc/default/grub (config file) and for more at /etc/default/grub.d (directory).
Anyway, after changing any of his, you need to run:
Code: Select all
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

After reboot, changes will effect. But be careful, make a backup of the files, you change. In emergency case you can recover with your live dvd.

Good luck,

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby romje » Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:42

I'd to thank you both guys for your help...
Ok for the grub2-mkconfig it 's the same than update-grub for Debian..nice to know
The solution purposed for my problem works nice ...
I 've just saw a small problems with skeletton files , all users created before having a functional display manager are unable to log in a Gnome session but it works if I recreate the accounts..so no problem
I'll edit the original to tag it as Solved thanks again for your help...

I already love this distro -) Already addicted..

Regards
jerome
romje
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area