Application looses focus [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Application looses focus [Solved]

Postby fire_dragon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 14:39

Dear friends,
I have a problem with the program called Double Commander running under KDE, the GTK version works fine, but the QT version, which I have to use because of some reason looses focus after I make a directory or move a file. It pops up another window to enter the data, then once it closes, the focus stays lost in no program at all, but the focus should actually go back to the main window.

The same program (exactly the same files) works well under other window managers like XFCE and LXDE.

And the filemanager Krusader gives exactly the same problem. Also looses focus after I make a new directory with F7.

So I guess the problem is not related to Double Commander.

Thank you.
Last edited by fire_dragon on Tue Mar 19, 2013 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Re: Application looses focus

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 15:02

In KDE you can configure the Focus behaviour. Launch KDE System Settings, double-click on Window Behaviour, click on Window Behaviour in the left pane, click on the Focus tab and then alter the Policy and/or 'Focus stealing prevention level' and/or 'Click raises active window' to achieve the functionality you desire.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:34

The settings doesn't solve it, I could set it to "focus under mouse" and 0ms, but this would effect every application which is not really nice. Since this happens only with this two programs, Double Commander and Krusader and not with any other program, maybe its a specific setting in QT maybe, since GTK version doesn't have this problem.

Thank you for your answer.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 17:39

I don't have KDE installed in SL on any of my machines at the moment (well, actually I do have SL with KDE on my Media Centre, but that installation is about two years old and I don't mess with it) but I do have KDE 4.9.5 installed on my main laptop running Gentoo. I don't use Double Commander, but I do use Krusader. As it happens, I've just been using Krusader (to help sort out the mess after upgrading to udev-197-r4, but that's another story nightmare) and focus returns to the main window when a daughter window closes, so I'm not sure why that is not happening in your case.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 16:35

I don't know why at my computer it is like that. Maybe its some general setting which I did wrong, but its since always even quite after a fresh install as far as I remember.

Anyway, maybe another Window behavior is related to the same problem or maybe not. When the password check window for installing/updating in Rigo for example appears, it will always appear behind the Rigo main window centered in the middle of the screen. I have to move the Rigo window aside to get the password window to the front and enter the password. I guess it shouldn't be like this also.

Thanks for your answer.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Postby fire_dragon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 14:31

After switching to respo sabayon-limbo for testing purposes, it updated KDE and some other stuff and the problem disappeared.

No idea what was the problem, but somehow an update fixed it.

Thank you.
fire_dragon
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area